Register free!

Old 12-11-2010, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

wide receivers + tight ends

It's 2% of whatever they produce each week. They are paid a weekly salary plus 2% commission. The commission tends to eliminate the idea of guys wanting to go home early cuz they get lazy. Say a guy makes $500 per week (salary), then he makes an extra $75 - $150 per week. The guys love that extra hundred bucks or more per week.

We pay a weekly salary so if we get rained out or winded out, they still make enough money to pay bills. Problem with paying "salary" is then we also have to pay 'time & a half' over 40 hours. So we try to watch that closely. In an average year, we normally see only 2 or 3 weeks were a guy puts in over 40 hours per week.

On the other hand -- other companies base the bulk of their pay on commission, so they are not required to pay overtime (at least in our state). Problem there is they have to achieve a "quota" in order to get a full paycheck. It's common to see these guys spray in windy conditions & rain. It's also common to see these guys out in late hours & working long Saturdays just so they can get their full paycheck. Sorry, but that ain't me, cuz it's "turnover City" regarding employee retention & customer satisfaction.

Tight ends: Our school was so small that I played both defensive end & offensive end. Half the time I was "split out" (wide receiver), and other times I was a tight end (playing close to the right tackle).

I've heard rumors about some of them Florida boys playing "tight end" with "wide receivers", but those were just rumors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
This sounds like a very interesting way of doing things. I don't get it though. Is that 2% of what the application price is for each property they service... or do they have to be so fast to get it..... how do you work that?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
It's 2% of whatever they produce each week. They are paid a weekly salary plus 2% commission. The commission tends to eliminate the idea of guys wanting to go home early cuz they get lazy. Say a guy makes $500 per week (salary), then he makes an extra $75 - $150 per week. The guys love that extra hundred bucks or more per week.

We pay a weekly salary so if we get rained out or winded out, they still make enough money to pay bills. Problem with paying "salary" is then we also have to pay 'time & a half' over 40 hours. So we try to watch that closely. In an average year, we normally see only 2 or 3 weeks were a guy puts in over 40 hours per week.

On the other hand -- other companies base the bulk of their pay on commission, so they are not required to pay overtime (at least in our state). Problem there is they have to achieve a "quota" in order to get a full paycheck. It's common to see these guys spray in windy conditions & rain. It's also common to see these guys out in late hours & working long Saturdays just so they can get their full paycheck. Sorry, but that ain't me, cuz it's "turnover City" regarding employee retention & customer satisfaction.

Tight ends: Our school was so small that I played both defensive end & offensive end. Half the time I was "split out" (wide receiver), and other times I was a tight end (playing close to the right tackle).

I've heard rumors about some of them Florida boys playing "tight end" with "wide receivers", but those were just rumors.
In key west it might not be just a rumor...especially during fantasy fest. Not sure there are any "tight ends" left in key west at this point I think they are all wide recievers.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya. At least it "ain't New Orleans". Got many friends & family who spend winters in Florida, and they love it. Been to over 20 Carribean countries/islands over the years - even South America.

When I retire, it will be in the Carribean. To me, it's "paradise", but for now I have to work a few more years just to build up that "nest egg".

Warm wishes for the holidays, Larry
Old 12-11-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I hear ya. At least it "ain't New Orleans". Got many friends & family who spend winters in Florida, and they love it. Been to over 20 Carribean countries/islands over the years - even South America.

When I retire, it will be in the Carribean. To me, it's "paradise", but for now I have to work a few more years just to build up that "nest egg".

Warm wishes for the holidays, Larry
I hate florida for christmas, thats why I will be in the carribean on christmas day. If I cant be in cold snowy weather for the holidays I may as well go on vacation. Merry Christmas larry...........shoot I better stay up late watching for ric burning a bag of poo on my doorstep for that...
Old 12-12-2010, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Florida or the Carribean looks good right now Larry. One doozy of a snowstorm tonight, man, haven't seen one this bad in a few years. 5 foot high drifts looking outside from my office tonight. Doesn't look like you are getting quite the snow we are though.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
old post I stumbled on. Not sure what you mean here. Are you nit picking because I didnt put a space between tight and end? You got tooo much time on your hands! Anyway....go pats....Im not from florida, I grew up and lived most of my life down Nantasket Beach on the south shore in MA. Ive been to many Pats games including both pats - miami games last year, in miami and foxboro.
I was referring to the offensive end comment not the fact that you didnt leave a space
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fl - I hear ya. My goal is to find a home in the Carribean. Florida is good, but I prefer the southern Carribean islands. The "spice island" is very cool.

DA -- I saw that you just got another 15 inches of snow. Total year-to-date = 22 inches. Sounds like wat we got last year. You can have it.

My final goal is the Carribean. Prob for me is, I'm making money/while suffering here in the Midwest. It's a rock between a hard place for now.

Name an island or a Country in the Carribean, and I'll bet dollars to donuts that I've been there at least once. Also South American countries. So you know I'm serious. Tired of these winters.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
I was referring to the offensive end comment not the fact that you didnt leave a space
well seeing as I wasnt the one who said "offensive end". Ill assume you were talking to someone else.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

best I ever saw with my machine was a couple years ago. I was spreading fert while spraying broad leafs and treating for webworms at the same time. 3 apps for 175 and acre for 8.5 acres. I almost felt guilty. Na just kidding!
$4462.50 for the job.
6.5 hrs to do it with travel and everything. $892.50 hr!(
This was with materials and labor included. Sure wish I could have that 6.5 hr day 5 days a week.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

$892 per hour is awesome! (Blending the correct products while making one application, having the right equipment, plus your expertise & experience). It's kinda like Mother Nature .......... She has a weird way of averaging things out. I wish we could do $400 per hour everyday, but that never happens. Bottom line -- way to go on that $892/hour day. It makes up for the days when things don't always go right.