Register free!

Old 08-19-2002, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

killing Bermuda, Crabgrass and assorted weeds.

HI!

I've got a 14,011 sq. ft. residential yard I'm doing a complete kill, put down organic compost, fert and lime (amounts based on soil sample results) till in, rake smooth and then seed with turf type tall fescue. The customer will have irrigation prior to my seeding.

My question is this, in your experience how many times do you have to spray Roundup Quick Pro Dry mixed with Fuselade (fuselpop ??) in a backpack sprayer before everything is really dead. Whats there is Bermuda, Crabgrass, Dailass Grass among about 15 other kinds of weeds/plants. In short it's horrible. One of those new homes where the builder basically graded over all his trash and then threw down straw.

I'm billing it as if I will have to spray the entire yard twice. What would you do? Think I'm on the right track?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 08-19-2002, 07:16 PM
Millenium Member

Once for me on the ones I have done. I use a tank sprayer with tracker dye. When you say till are using a tiller???
Old 08-19-2002, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be concerned about tilling everything in. You could be burying crab grass and dallis grass seeds for the future. Will you be able to apply a Pre-M? Do use a tracker dye if possible. It will help you get better coverage. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Killing Bremuda

Scott,

Let me start by saying good luck when it comes to killing out Bermuda. Very hard in most situations to take it completely out."for good"

I would noy rec, tilling at all. If you till the Bermuda, you will only be making new starting pionts for the Bermuda to begin growth again if not completely taken out. I would be sure to advise your customer that it will be an on-going effort after the new seed geminates and you will prob, need to spot sray Bermuda as/if it beginds to come back.

Good Luck and believe this. We have been renovating lawns for many years and dread trying to take Bermuda out and starting a fescue or bluegrass lawn.

Good Luck.
"Where Profit is not a DIRTY word"
Old 08-19-2002, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, when I said till, I meant tilling. I thought I should do that because the ground is just so hard and compacted. I have had several others recommend against it though, and Im thinking now about just VERY aggressively aerating it. The original thought was to till because I'll be putting down an inch of organic compost as well as "sport Turface" from Lesco as well as lime and starter fert. I thought it would be best to till that all in.

Yes to the tracker dye as well. I thought I could never keep track of where I'd sprayed on 14,000 sq ft without it.

Yes I will be using pre-m in the spring and a second app in late spring/early summer. Probably using Pre-m or Dimension from Lesco.

Seeding will be Fescue, a blend called Southern Belle from Turf and Garden. It's a propriatary (sp) blend that is only sold locally and it's blended especially for this area. We are in the worst of the transition zone if you ask me. Everybody wants fescue but it's hard to keep healthy here.

I've got mow only customers without irrigation and even the bermuda lawns looks terrible, all yellowed, thin and DRY!

Any more suggestions??? I'm listening!

Scott
Old 08-20-2002, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

It has been our experiance that 2 to 3 applications applied 7-10 days apart. I have never went back after the first application and not had to spot spray new growth. In this area bermuda is very hard to get rid of and often reapears in a year or so. Also if any ajoining properties have it it will spead in from there. I would put it in writing that I couldn't guarantee that it would work. Otherwise you may be doing it more than once with no extra compansation. Good luck
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 08-20-2002, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

It has been our experiance that 2 to 3 applications applied 7-10 days apart. I have never went back after the first application and not had to spot spray new growth. In this area bermuda is very hard to get rid of and often reapears in a year or so. Also if any ajoining properties have it it will spead in from there. I would put it in writing that I couldn't guarantee that it would work. Otherwise you may be doing it more than once with no extra compansation. Good luck
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 08-20-2002, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dennis,

Yeah, I thought of that. I'm a big huge fan of contracts, and putting in there that Bermuda is one of the hardest grasses to completely eradicate is a done deal.

These customers are really good from my point of view. They have stated to me that they realize it may take as many as 3 full growing seasons to get the beautiful lawn they want........and then continual professional attention to keep it that way.

Scott
Old 08-20-2002, 04:18 AM
Millenium Member

If the ground is that hard look at an Aera-vator. I would not till a lawn with a tiller, you will have a mess when you are done.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Where in the world can I look at one? I cant seem to find anyone who rents them in my area. Websites?

Thanks
Scott