Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2002, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope I can put this so everyone understands what I'm trying to say. Here goes; I live on a corner lot and I have a neighbor with bermuda grass (yuck!) on one side and my grandmother on the other side. All of our back yards converge as well as my side lot. I've tilled a very large part of my grandmother's back yard for years as a garden. It's slowly gotten smaller as she grew older but this year she asked me to expand it a little. As the garden got smaller over time, the neighbors bermuda crept in and took over. The point of my post is that we didn't actually plant the expanded area and the bermuda is thick as ever. Even with several tillings and roundup applications, this stuff is incredibly tough. We've even used a small area for limb and debris burning but it always comes back thicker than ever. I started to think we were cursed by gypsys or something.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Tony when are you tilling.In the spring? Tilling is one of the worst things you can do. Of coarse if its a garden you have to. The best time to kill bermuda is when its actively growing. I would till as much of the garden as possible and as soon as possible durring August and early September. Then check it in a week and spray any bermuda, try to get 2 or 3 apps of roundup down before it gets cold. Also spraying an area 15' around the garden that will not be tilled and reseeding would probably keep most of the bermuda out of the garden. You will need to do this each year to keep it up, its a lot of work, but hea, its grandma.
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 08-24-2002, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

oh yea i forgot, you will have to till the garden in the spring but I think this might help.
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 09-23-2002, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Tony,
I have the same problem with my neighbor's yard next door...What I did was kill all of the bermuda, (as best I could) and till and then spray again....I then laid down a metal edging about 2 feet from the fence, then laid down the sod (centipede). About once a month I spray along the fenceline and keep the bermuda at bay, and so far, the centipede is doing well, and nothing has penetrated the edging....good luck..ET
Old 09-23-2002, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Addict

Can Round-Up be applied after seeded but before germination if any grass/weeds do come up again or will that effect the germination process?
Old 01-02-2003, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I'd raise this one from the dead. Dormant Bermuda is quite noticeable right now. We had city water installed last year and the Bermuda has taken over large areas where they layed the pipe next to the road. I've also noticed some areas where the Bermuda seems to be "blended" into my existing grass. I know I'm going to have to kill the large areas but, what about the creeping? I think I'll need a dome over my lawn to protect it from all the crappy lawns around me. I aerated/seeded/ferilized in the fall and put down my winter fert last week. Is there anything that can be done now or do I wait for the Bermuda to start growing, and then what?
Old 01-02-2003, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a sodded area out back where I have actually had to get down on my hands and knees and pull the "creeping" stuff out! But since the last post above I have had no invaders in the newly sodded area with the metal edging, it was well worth it.......Eric
Old 01-02-2003, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is how you could try controlling bermuda,drop the customer,just kidding.
Treat with fuslade at .75 oz and your r-up rate. Of course the bermuda must a active in growth. With the r-up pulling the fuslade thru the roots, it will be a slow kill but better control. Remember you should wait 3 week b-4 seeding.
The turf face is good stuff 50 lbs per 1000 sqft.

Tilling the bermuda could propagate the roots if you dont get good control plus bring up weed seed.

Igroturf
Old 01-08-2003, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Ornamec works pretty good on bermuda too, but I think fulsilade is best.
Try this: Mix or apply in two apps, fusilade and acclaim. The label on acclaim warns against using on bermuda. Won't kill it but will slow it down/weaken it. Then the fusilade will kill more of it. Prepare to do at least one follow-up app, and repeat in the years to come. It just won't go away.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of trying to spray the undesireable grow out, I have done this very successfully. Prepare your seedbed or sodbed - I have a Harley T-5 on my compact tractor - then apply Basimid at the high label rate. Granular fumigants work better in my opinion than foliar applications for controlling all growth.
Don't worry about bacterial and microbial populations being harmed as empirical research has shown these will repopulate before seed germination.
The good thing about fumigants, not only does the growth get nuked, you also are getting weed seeds and other unwanted growth.