Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2010, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

re-starting in a different town

I have owned my own company for the past 6 years in the town I grew up in. After spending an entire year dealing with low ballers, one bad employee after another, P.I.T.A customers, and equipment break downs. I applied for and accepted a Job in a neighboring city (roughly 20-25 miles away). My plan is to move there within the next 6 months to a year. I want to stay in this industry in someway due to the fact that I really do enjoy it, However I want to stay away from mowing and focus mainly on topsoil work, hedge trimming, and small landscaping jobs. What are some strategies to building a customer base for these services?
altough I will be a part timer I will be trying my best not to become one of the low ballers
16' trailer
9' trailer
2002 john deere 717
36" gravely walk behind
14sb
shendawia
blue bird verticut
a ton of hand tools
www.jlonglawnandlandscape.com
Old 11-05-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Any other inputs on my decision would be appreciated. Economically it makes great sence, however I keep second guesing myself.
I also feel it is a good oportuinity to live somewhere else since I have lived in the same place for the entire 25 years i've been on this earth.
16' trailer
9' trailer
2002 john deere 717
36" gravely walk behind
14sb
shendawia
blue bird verticut
a ton of hand tools
www.jlonglawnandlandscape.com
Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I live in the same town in which I went to high school. I am now 27. I will say that one of the great perks to living in the same area you grew up in is the amount of people you know. I have many people call me for a job (small and large) first b/c they know me or is a friend of a friend.
This was my 4th year as a business owner and I still have a lot of growing and learning to do. I have thought, quite a few times actually, about the possibilities of a more thriving company in a different market area but I am going to try to ride out the low ballers and such here. They weed themselves out anyway and I see much potential for the future of landscaping in my community.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLong View Post
I have owned my own company for the past 6 years in the town I grew up in. After spending an entire year dealing with low ballers, one bad employee after another, P.I.T.A customers, and equipment break downs. I applied for and accepted a Job in a neighboring city (roughly 20-25 miles away). My plan is to move there within the next 6 months to a year. I want to stay in this industry in someway due to the fact that I really do enjoy it, However I want to stay away from mowing and focus mainly on topsoil work, hedge trimming, and small landscaping jobs. What are some strategies to building a customer base for these services?
altough I will be a part timer I will be trying my best not to become one of the low ballers

don't know where your moving to, but there is the same thing in that town your moving to, just now nobody knows you.