Register free!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

PG Magnum Maintenance

My starter rope on 2006 Magnum tore this A.M. I fought to get the assembly off and now installed a new rope, but cant get the stupid thing back on the moter ( horrible design..would be nice to have another 1" to work with)

any suggestions or am I missing something obvious....Thanks in adcance
Old 11-06-2010, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just about every time I start mine I think about that cord snapping. Its the same age as yours I think... Working on things on them is tough, no doubt. That's the price paid for building something so compact. Ever work on a Walker mower? Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a local place cut out a half moon section of the frame so it's easier to get the assembly on and off. They said it wouldn't compromise the integrity of the frame and I haven't had any issues. I usually replace the rope twice per season.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuckcavs View Post
My starter rope on 2006 Magnum tore this A.M. I fought to get the assembly off and now installed a new rope, but cant get the stupid thing back on the moter ( horrible design..would be nice to have another 1" to work with)

any suggestions or am I missing something obvious....Thanks in adcance
My suggestion.

Sell that thing and buy a Z-Spray.They have electric start and put a PG to shame performance and reliability wise. Hell you're in Indiana where they are too.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
I had a local place cut out a half moon section of the frame so it's easier to get the assembly on and off. They said it wouldn't compromise the integrity of the frame and I haven't had any issues. I usually replace the rope twice per season.
Thats what I ended up doing. It added no support so I just cut it away. It was a pain but the only other way that I could think of was to unbolt the motor and everything else just to slide it back. I attached a picture that will give you some idea.
Attached Images

"Quotes found on the Internet are not always accurate " Abraham Lincolon"
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is possible. I replaced my starter rope (before it broke), without taking it apart, on my PG.

Pull the rope out to the end. Jam the starter with a screwdriver to hold it. Just bend a couple airscreen slots for clearance. Grab the knot with needle nose pliars. Pull all 5 feet of the rope out. Attach a new rope to the old rope (either end) with super glue, hot glue or a couple staples. Pull it back through. Tie a new knot.

If the rope is broken...good luck.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
It is possible. I replaced my starter rope (before it broke), without taking it apart, on my PG.

Pull the rope out to the end. Jam the starter with a screwdriver to hold it. Just bend a couple airscreen slots for clearance. Grab the knot with needle nose pliars. Pull all 5 feet of the rope out. Attach a new rope to the old rope (either end) with super glue, hot glue or a couple staples. Pull it back through. Tie a new knot.

If the rope is broken...good luck.
Damn, that's quite a way to fix a rope!!

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2320 View Post
My suggestion.

Sell that thing and buy a Z-Spray.They have electric start and put a PG to shame performance and reliability wise. Hell you're in Indiana where they are too.
Sounds like a great idea. I already have a Jr. but I also have a PG Ultra. I was looking at the pics of your Jr. 36. I think the Ultra is headed for the auction block this spring and LT Rich will have another order. That's my plan anyway.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor