Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2002, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fertilizer Freak Strikes Again!!!!!

Mow for this guy who has a second home. Comes up about every 6 weeks for a weekend. In April he laced his yard with a triple dose of fertilizer, followed by a ton of rain. You get the picture. Mowed weekly when should have been mowed everyother day. Told him I offer fertilizer applications but said he would rather do it. Well, 5 weeks ago he laces his yard again with fertilizer. Only problem is that weve only had about 1 inch of rain since he put the fertilizer out and his yard has since turned to toast. Got a call from his wife on the answering machine telling me not to mow anymore this year since the yard is dead, but would like for me to mow again in the spring. My mowing season normally lasts till end of Oct. This is total BS!!! Im going to send them a final bill and once I receive payment Im going to inform them that I wont be able to service their yard anymore unless they give me total control of future fertilizer applications. I feel better now that I got this off my chest!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

Last edited by LAWNS AND MOWER; 08-20-2002 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agree Lawns and Mower. That would be the right thing to do, giving them 1 last opportunity to let you do the apps.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have customers like that. They put it on the lawn like it was water. They fertilize every month, water, and 90 degree weather doesn't help me at all. I'm charging extra for double cuts now. I didn't used to because I didn't have to all that much, but now, the lawns are going nuts. And the lawn is wet when I show up to mow even though I tell them not to water the night before! Arrrggg!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-20-2002, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't complain about customers watering with the exception of watering the night before mowing. The only people I am mowing right now are people who water. All others... their grass is dormant.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Fertilizer Freak Strikes Again!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by LAWNS AND MOWER
Mow for this guy who has a second home. Comes up about every 6 weeks for a weekend. In April he laced his yard with a triple dose of fertilizer, followed by a ton of rain. You get the picture. Mowed weekly when should have been mowed everyother day. Told him I offer fertilizer applications but said he would rather do it. Well, 5 weeks ago he laces his yard again with fertilizer. Only problem is that weve only had about 1 inch of rain since he put the fertilizer out and his yard has since turned to toast. Got a call from his wife on the answering machine telling me not to mow anymore this year since the yard is dead, but would like for me to mow again in the spring. My mowing season normally lasts till end of Oct. This is total BS!!! Im going to send them a final bill and once I receive payment Im going to inform them that I wont be able to service their yard anymore unless they give me total control of future fertilizer applications. I feel better now that I got this off my chest!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER
man, what a headache. i would drop them like a stone.

you said your mowing season is until the end of October? you live in N. carolina and you can only mow until october? man, i didnt put my machines away until december 15th last season. of course last year was a little wacky around here but even the years before i didnt stop until the beginning of dec or end of nov.

stay out there until they are calling and telling you to stop...lol. some customers might not even notice if you are out there until january and still sending them bills! haha.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the ones i have like that are reaching an age ,that forces them to let me do it all .
not happy to see them unable to do things ,but it sure makes for a better lawn.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you're going down the right path. Do you have one of their neighbors accounts? It would be a great time to show them how theirs could've looked. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

where are you at in nc.........i mowed until the first of january and maybe a week after....cant remember.........but started back up in late feb i think it was..........lucky for me the yards did good last year, after the heated months
Old 08-23-2002, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m&m
where are you at in nc.........i mowed until the first of january and maybe a week after....cant remember.........but started back up in late feb i think it was..........lucky for me the yards did good last year, after the heated months
I'm in the mountains, so our season is shorter than you flatlanders!!!! I did mow some accounts into November last year, but those were the stubborn accounts that refused to go dormant. Our season usually kicks up in early April, although last year I started on March 25th which was an added bonus. Aint much mowing now. Wish you flatlanders would keep all this heat off the mountain. It's pushing 90 which is unheard off.

LAWNS AND MOWER