Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best way to remove foam filled skid steer tires

Any suggestions? I have googled and people say they use a sawzall. That has got to suck! Any better ideas besides setting it on fire? I was thinking about a cutoff saw, but what kind of blade? Diamond or metal? What about sandblasting some cuts? Need ideas besides buy new rims.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you just trying to get new rubber on them?? Have you ever thought about getting them re treaded. It is uausally about the same as new tires and you don't have to get the new ones filled with foam again. Just a thought
Old 11-09-2010, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I cant imagine you be saving any time or much money by cutting off the tires and reusing the rims...have you asked your tire guy what they do?

Sawzall is gonna be tough getting through the steel belts and the bead...I think you'd end up doing damage to the rims and run the risk of loosing a few appendages...
Old 11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Deskto...t&PostID=33642
Old 11-09-2010, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

A 5 inch zip disk on a 5 inch grinder will cut through the tire and the steel cord. Make sure you wear a resparator of some sort those fumes are enough to kill you.

You may have no choice and buy 4 new rims it would be easier than you ending up in the hospital from chemical poisioning.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We just did this with a sawzall and it was actually pretty easy. We just used a steel cutting blade and cut across the tread and down the side wall to the rim. The key is to have a atleast 2 guys and use a couple bars to spread the cut a little to keep it from pinching the blade. Now move over about 8" and do it again then cut along the rim on both sides from cut to cut and rip that chunk out. Now you can drive a bar under the bead like you were gonna try and pry it off the rim so you get just enough clearence to cut the bead. We used a grinder here and as one of us cut the other pried out some till the bead was cut/broke. Now throw a chain thru the rim and chain it to something unmovable and grab the tire with a gapple and rip it off. If you have nothing to use to pull the tire off then you can pry the tire up till you get enough to rap a chain around. It took us about 20 mins per tire after we figured out what to do
Old 11-10-2010, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93turbo View Post
It took us about 20 mins per tire after we figured out what to do
3 guys 20 minutes per tire is total 3 man hours for the last 3 tires, plus the 4 man hours scratching your as s figuring out the best way to do it on the first tire..

Just kidding....
Old 11-10-2010, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
3 guys 20 minutes per tire is total 3 man hours for the last 3 tires, plus the 4 man hours scratching your as s figuring out the best way to do it on the first tire..

Just kidding....
there was just 2 of us Maybe if we had to pay some one it would have been different but we just did it one day when it was rainy

This site sometimes reminds me of a saying I've heard. Those that CAN do and those that CAN'T complain LOL
Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93turbo View Post
We just did this with a sawzall and it was actually pretty easy. We just used a steel cutting blade and cut across the tread and down the side wall to the rim. The key is to have a atleast 2 guys and use a couple bars to spread the cut a little to keep it from pinching the blade. Now move over about 8" and do it again then cut along the rim on both sides from cut to cut and rip that chunk out. Now you can drive a bar under the bead like you were gonna try and pry it off the rim so you get just enough clearence to cut the bead. We used a grinder here and as one of us cut the other pried out some till the bead was cut/broke. Now throw a chain thru the rim and chain it to something unmovable and grab the tire with a gapple and rip it off. If you have nothing to use to pull the tire off then you can pry the tire up till you get enough to rap a chain around. It took us about 20 mins per tire after we figured out what to do
Awesome, I will try your way and see how it goes.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

just reiterating, that I was joking......And I've done my share of what i would call "redneck engineering" when I could have just as easily thrown money at the problem to solve it...

Sometimes it nice to do something once the hard way so you can appreciate it...