Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2002, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quickbooks Pro question.

I use Quickbooks for accounting and payroll, but not for billing.
If you have customer X, and record 5 lawn cuts and a hedge trimming for the month of August, can this be printed out on an invoice???

The way I understand it, is you cant print invoices for specific dates, only specific jobs. If that is the case, the invoice portion would be useless to me. Does anyone use the invoicing in a maintenance business?? and if so, can you give me some pointers?? It does not seem to be set up for repeat work for the same customer. Thanks
Old 08-20-2002, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Everything you asked for is possible in Quickbooks Pro.

You need to set up an "item" for each task.
For instance, I have an item called "Basic Mowing" that has a price of $35 associated with it (my minimum)and a brief description.

All you need to do is create an invoice for your customer and select basic mowing from your item list and put in a quantity of 5 and the extension will calculate the total.

You can either change your price per cut at the invoice creation stage or create a bunch of different "Basic Mowing" items with various price points. I do not do this because all of my customers are on annual pro-rated billing. I just change the basic mowing rate when I have the occasional one-time customer.

Next, you select your other item from your item list "Pruning". Again, this will have a price associated with it that you can change within the invoice.

The invoicing power of Quickbooks comes from the customization of the item list. You should get familiar with it.

Regarding repeat invoices for customers, all you need to do is "memorize" an invoice once you have created it, then the details of that invoice will appear the next time you want to bill that customer.

All of this is in the manual as well as an excellent help index (one of the best).
Old 08-20-2002, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thankis Roger for the great response. I guess one of the things I was concerned with was the fact if I had 30 different mowing prices, I would need 30 different items just for mowing, or else I would have to change each individual invoice.. I thought it would be alot easier to just choose a customer, enter specific dates, and an invoice would fill itself in based on the previous entries in the register.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why you just cant print out an invoice as easily as you can a report. For example, for Mr X I did 5 cuts, mulch, grub control, and hedges....to itemize each one individually will take some time and confusion (I might have 25 different shrub prices, say) . But if I just told QBooks to create an August bill for Mr X it would be a whole lot easier. I think the invoicing works alot better for one time jobs, or for a company who has alot of one time customers. It seems complicated for monthly maintenance, especially if you dont have standard price points.
Hope this is making some sense.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using QuickbooksPro for a few years, and I just ended up making up different items for each thing done for each customer. It takes awhile, but once all the information is in, and your customers don't change alot, it is easy to use. I print up an invoice with work done, and also a statement and send them both to the customer either monthly or whatever billing arrangement we agreed upon. As you probably have found out, the statement is very important because it tracks previous payments and invoices. The statement helps the customers to keep track of their payments, and also keeps them honest (at least those who try to only make partial payments in hopes to screw up your bookkeeping!).

RMDoyon, do you know how to get rid of the advertising on the latest version of QuickBooksPro? It really pisses me off that I paid full price for the new program, and yet there is advertising of one sort or another on essentially EVERY screen. The best I could come up with so far is to have a blank screen, except for the toolbar, come up at the start by using the customizing screen.

My QuickbooksPro98 DID NOT have this problem, and I was much happier with it.

On another message board awhile back I was told that this new, wonderful feature of QuickBooksPro2002 was not able to be removed.

KenH, have you looked into programs specifically for the lawn industry? Such as Clip, Lawn Monkey, etc? Although I don't use them, friends who do like them. Basically everything you asked about they supposedly do automatically (once the information is entered initially!).
Old 08-21-2002, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

i make up an estimate for each customer making four colums showing mowing and the cost per time. It remains in the system. at the end of the month i hit create invoices then type in the customers name. it ask if you want to use the estimate to create invoice select yes and it brings it up. then I just type in the dates they were serviced and it totals it all. works great for me. This way they have more specific information and we get fewer calls asking whats this. Its late so if i didn't explain this good or you have questions let me know. It takes a little time to set it up but i think its worth it.
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 08-21-2002, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use Statements to bill

Every night I enter all work into the statement charges section, and as payments come in I enter those in the payments recieved section. Then on the last day of the Month I hit create Statements, set the dates for the 1st through 30/31 then hit print. It's that simple. Also if you don't want it to print statements for non active customers, just tell it not to print statements with 0 balance.

Soupy
Old 08-21-2002, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies....Soupy---- I do do that, but you cant add sales tax into the statements
Old 08-21-2002, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tvov

RMDoyon, do you know how to get rid of the advertising on the latest version of QuickBooksPro?
I'm afraid not, I'm running QB Pro 2001 so I guess I have this to look forward to when upgrading.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

dforbes-
Iv'e run qbp for about 8 years and thought I had it down.
Your method is the way to go! Thanks for the great idea!