Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2002, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Ax Man,
Your welcome, I have been using QBP since 1994. This method has worked well for me. Saves a lot of time at the end of the month.
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 08-26-2002, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

QuickBooks Pro 2002

I also run QuickBooks Pro 2002 for my lawn maintenance business. I am very happy with it, especially the price compared to Clip, LawnMonkey and some of the others. It takes very little training time and everything is well explained in the Help and manual. Great purchase if you don't have a lot of money for the Clips and LawnMonkeys.
"You'll get MOW for your money & MULCH, MULCH more!"
Old 08-28-2002, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, and my biz is small enough I have no need for help on scheduling or tracking.
Qbp does all I need.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I own an Information Technology consulting firm and we QBP 2001. 50% of our work is billable time and the other 50% is hardware sales.

I'm wondering, why don't any of you use the time feature? We enter our time (we bill by the hour) each day and whenever we want to create an invoice we open a blank invoice, choose the client click time/costs and select the time and hardware we want to bill that client.

Also, why have different items for this type of business? Are all of you trying to track how many "basic mowing" jobs you've done compared to "tree pruning"? Looks to me like I would use only one item...Lawn Care and then change the description and amount to whatever I wanted when I created the invoice?

Just thinking outloud
Old 08-28-2002, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Jamesday,
Most of our services are billed by the job not the hour. Also it is important to track different items because workmans comp rates are different for landscaping vs sprinkler work vs mowing. Even clerical has its own rate, we are audited every year and without good records our insurance would be much more.
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 08-28-2002, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

QUOTE "It remains in the system. at the end of the month i hit create invoices then type in the customers name. it ask if you want to use the estimate to create invoice select yes and it brings it up. then I just type in the dates they were serviced and it totals it all."

Can someone help clear something up for me. I understand about having different "items" for different clients, but when you print the invoice at the end of the month, how do you remember the dates you did service.?? You say you just type in the dates, but do you do it from memory?? Do you look at the statement and toggle the pages back and forth???

Also, if you use statements as an invoice, how do you add sales tax??
I dont think you can.

I think I need a way to carry the info I have entered in my statement section directly to an invoice. I really dont understand why QBooks wont let you do that. It seems like it would be the easiest way.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I have my guys fill out timecards each week (NEBS has some good ones) payroll is entered from the timecard to a weekly timesheet in quickbooks. This gives you a record of customer service provided time spent on job memos. when its time to do invoices I print a time activity detail and enter the dates from this report to the invoice. also has information of anything else you did for this customer. If you have your taxes set up right in your qb, taxable items should automaticaly come up on your invoices. once you get this system set up it works extreemly well. I would be happy to do what i can to help.
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 08-28-2002, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Also doing my method you don't need different items for each cutomer. on the estimate it might say ms Smith mowing $60.00
your next estimate can say Mr Jones $85.00 and so on. We put the items on the estimate that we do on a weekly basis. If any other services are done that month we just add them to the invoice after its created.
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 08-31-2002, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

To KenH,

I will start a new invoice at the first of the month for my customers with the service charge. I then type the date after the description of service performed. Next week I pull up that same open invoice for that customer and add another line with service charge for that week, again typing the date. Keep doing that till the end of the month, print the invoice and mail it.
"You'll get MOW for your money & MULCH, MULCH more!"
Old 08-31-2002, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks lrose2-- That is a good idea. If you set it up that way, can you still run reports and such?? I was under the impression you can only run reports from the numbers you enter in the statements section. This is my dilemma----the invoice info and the statement info is not interchangeable. If there was only a way to create an invoice directly from the statements that would be perfect.