Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Fastrak SD vs Non-SD?

I'm finally nearing a decision point for my first ZTR (I've posted here in the past regarding this decision, and it's been a long process), but I'm thinking I'm leaning toward Hustler, and more specifically the FastTrak (54"). I can't decide if the extra money is worth it for the SD or not (2 acres of mowing, uneven ground, not perfectly flat by any stretch). I'm planning to get the flex seat if I do go with them, but the main difference would be the inclusion of the ROPS, different transmission, larger pumps to accommodate the larger tires, and a different air filter, and more HP, correct? What is the recommendation for homeowner use between these two models? Would there be a noticeable difference between the two in terms of longevity and performance?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH-PA View Post
I'm finally nearing a decision point for my first ZTR (I've posted here in the past regarding this decision, and it's been a long process), but I'm thinking I'm leaning toward Hustler, and more specifically the FastTrak (54"). I can't decide if the extra money is worth it for the SD or not (2 acres of mowing, uneven ground, not perfectly flat by any stretch). I'm planning to get the flex seat if I do go with them, but the main difference would be the inclusion of the ROPS, different transmission, larger pumps to accommodate the larger tires, and a different air filter, and more HP, correct? What is the recommendation for homeowner use between these two models? Would there be a noticeable difference between the two in terms of longevity and performance?
The Fastrak is certainly just fine for 2 Acres. Considering that you have rough terrain, you may consider the SD. The money is certainly worth it. I live at the shore and you probably know that it is very flat here, not even a hill, I mean hell the only slopes I see are from the septic and drain fields they install . I would say if you were living on flat ground, then most defiantly the Fastrak would be fine, but you are going to be putting some extra stress on your trans and engine, so that is why they build the SD. Either machine will be just fine, but you are making a big investment and if you can spare the extra money, the SD would be the better choice for your property. I can also add that the Hustler 54" SD is surly one fine looking machine!!

Now I will throw it in the mix, I am a Hustler fan, but it would be worth a look at a BadBoy CZT, same one I have. The CZT is a true entry level commercial mower it has all the same stuff as the SD, but with upgraded Hydros and some other features and probably can be had for allot less. Just a thought. http://www.badboymowers.com/view/czt-commercial-mowers
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 11-12-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
The Fastrak is certainly just fine for 2 Acres. Considering that you have rough terrain, you may consider the SD. The money is certainly worth it. I live at the shore and you probably know that it is very flat here, not even a hill, I mean hell the only slopes I see are from the septic and drain fields they install . I would say if you were living on flat ground, then most defiantly the Fastrak would be fine, but you are going to be putting some extra stress on your trans and engine, so that is why they build the SD. Either machine will be just fine, but you are making a big investment and if you can spare the extra money, the SD would be the better choice for your property. I can also add that the Hustler 54" SD is surly one fine looking machine!!

Now I will throw it in the mix, I am a Hustler fan, but it would be worth a look at a BadBoy CZT, same one I have. The CZT is a true entry level commercial mower it has all the same stuff as the SD, but with upgraded Hydros and some other features and probably can be had for allot less. Just a thought. http://www.badboymowers.com/view/czt-commercial-mowers
The hustler Fasttrack and FasTrack SD have the exact same transmission as the Badboy CZT. An upgraded one from the Badboy ZT(not sure what else runs the ZT2800) your FasTrack SD will have a larger frame and larger tires as well as a better air cleaner and ROPS. If your on a normal yard the regular FasTrack will be fine, but the SD will look more impressive and has a better air cleaner. It will also have a slightly larger engine(in most cases you will not notice a difference in power)
Old 11-12-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaters View Post
The hustler Fasttrack and FasTrack SD have the exact same transmission as the Badboy CZT. An upgraded one from the Badboy ZT(not sure what else runs the ZT2800) your FasTrack SD will have a larger frame and larger tires as well as a better air cleaner and ROPS. If your on a normal yard the regular FasTrack will be fine, but the SD will look more impressive and has a better air cleaner. It will also have a slightly larger engine(in most cases you will not notice a difference in power)
Sorry your wrong. The SD has a ZT3100's the CZT has ZT3400's The Badboy site does not list this, but I know that mine has the ZT3400's. Is this a really big deal?? No, but the CZT does have a larger Hydrogear. However the SD does have a 2 hp advantage but I have been very impressed with the Vanguard and the SD does have a 4" deck advantage, considering that the CZT comes in a 42", 50" and 60".

http://www.hustlerturf.com/products....id=3&sobi2Id=2
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 11-12-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2010 BadBoy ZT ZT 3100 Hydrogear 26 Briggs/27Kohler 9MPH forward speed

2010 BadBoy CZT ZT3400 Hydrogear 23hp Vanguard 10 mph forward speed

2010 Hustler FT ZT2800 19/21 Kawasaki 8mph forward speed

2010 Hustler Fastrak SD 23/25 Kawasaki Honda *GXV630 8 mph forward speed

*The info on the Honda I have gatered is that it is 23 Hp Gross and 20.3 HP net?

Bad Boy info as per 2010 Catalog

Hustler info as per the Hustler turf website.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 11-12-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My mistake the Hustler Fastrak has ZT3100's aswell.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I was in similar situation 2 years ago (1st ZTR) and I went with the Fastrak SD 54. I bought it in the Fall and the dealer in my area was willing to give a great price. I am very happy with my choice and my neighbors regularly remark on how great the cut is on my lawn. No need for striping kit as the deck gives nice stripe. I mow nearly two acres with 50 or so trees and can complete it in about 60 minutes. I got the flew forks and happy I did. My yard was pretty rough last year and those forks helped. I have since smoothed over the bumps so mowers runs very smooth.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcfadin View Post
I was in similar situation 2 years ago (1st ZTR) and I went with the Fastrak SD 54. I bought it in the Fall and the dealer in my area was willing to give a great price. I am very happy with my choice and my neighbors regularly remark on how great the cut is on my lawn. No need for striping kit as the deck gives nice stripe. I mow nearly two acres with 50 or so trees and can complete it in about 60 minutes. I got the flew forks and happy I did. My yard was pretty rough last year and those forks helped. I have since smoothed over the bumps so mowers runs very smooth.
I was actually going to reply to this thread asking about the ROPS and trees, and then saw your post. Do you have any issues with it? I do have several fruit trees, a couple white birches, and a decorative cherry to mow around. All of them have relatively low hanging branches (about face height on my rider).

Thanks for the info so far, guys. As for the BB, there isn't a dealer close by, so that's out.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I have not had any major issues. Just exceed 100 hrs at the end of my second season of use. Steering was off a bit and my deck got knocked off proper setting which caused some clogging but those were easy adjustments. So far it seems like rock solid machine and I will get many years of use. I appreciate the longer warranty that Hustler gives the SD when it is used by Homeowner vs Commercial business. Right now doesn't look like I need that coverage but it provides one less thing to worry about. Good luck on your choice.