Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a great product, but way too expensive. I know roughly what each neighborhoods average size is and I use Bing maps to verify.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Their promo code in this issue of Turf Magazine (TM4) doesn't appear to work. Not a terrible idea if you're not concerned about slopes, obstacles not in the photos, new landscaping or fences added since the photos were done, bizarre features in the grade, that new trampoline, cars parked hanging over the lawn, the fact that the lawn is water logged for 3 days after it rains, etc. Beats not seeing a place at all. It might be more suitable for apps.

I've bid a couple of places using this sort of product when I got contacted late in the week and didn't want to make the drive over on the weekend for a residential prospect. Even without the aids included with this product you can judge a lot size based on objects in the field of vision and experience with the neighborhoods. Without fail there will be a little something you didn't count on from the view you get (which is quite good, but not like ground level).

It probably helps being able to fire off a faster bid than others on residentials, but the downside is increased risk of "surprises" when you arrive. And I don't think too many people would accept a "provisional bid" where you later hit them with other fees for stuff you didn't see in the pics. Sounds too much like a bait-n-switch. Overall my guess is bids will be too low on average using this unless you just add a premium on everything to cover yourself. Most home lots here always have some time-wasting screwup you have to deal with.

On large or commercial jobs, you'd have to be crazy to bid them sight-unseen. Too much is at stake.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron greentree View Post
I see what you are saying bill but we service people as far over an hour away and going to look at the property then paying 3 bucks to measure it just does not make a lot of sense to do all that for lets say an $80 aeration lots of price shoppers and I am not going to be the lowest price so the person who wants it done for $40 wont wast my time and I wont wast theirs I am very personable with all estimates and tend to gain peoples trust weather over the phone or in person I like it but if I where to put a price on it it would be .99
I would say these type of services would be invaluable to this sort of situation. One-time jobs for fairly low dollar amounts, where you simply cannot make any money if you have to drive around giving the bids. You still risk some surprises when you arrive, but it offsets that by saving you so much drive time.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I didn't read closely when I tried goilawn... it costs money for each view. Rookie mistake. But I guess it makes sense for guys that are doing 15-30 estimates a day. I just don't have that much business yet
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2011, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

What's wrong with google earth??
Old 06-19-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been using goilawn for a couple years now to do bids when I'm out of town or just can't schedule an on-site measurement. I wish that I would have seen this thread before I started using goilawn. You have to buy 100 transactions to get in on the $3.00 price. Far worse, I've noticed that goilawn does not always give me accurate measurements. Part of that is simply because property boundaries can be more difficult to discern online. However, I have had some random transactions that have been really off. I measured one place at 20K when it was actually a 13K. That kind of mistake should have cost me the bid. The worst, though, was a 30K which was measured up as a 4K using goilawn. I had another worker mowing that lawn, and it took over a month before I found out about the discrepancy. I don't know if anyone else is having the same issues, but I definitely recommend getting a physical measurement when possible.

I do plan to try out http://lawncaretoolbox.com/index.cfm though. If it turns out to be accurate, I may use it the next time I am out of town.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried findlotsize.com? It has been pretty accurate for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

www.findlotsize.com free and works pretty good!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

goilawn has cost me plenty this year in wrong size measurements (not in my favor) off by as much as 10,000 sq. ft (this ads up for spraying) and for wrong search locations and billing me for it, it would be nice if it would bill you once you click on a measure tool instead of when it sends you to an address.... I am done with this company.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also use findlotsize.com its free