Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2010, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Grass keeps dying under Crimson King Maple

On one of my accounts, the house has a crimson king maple tree (smaller) with a grdling root. At the end of last year, there was no grass left under the tree. This spring, I put doewn 2 yards of loam, graded and reseeded. The seed took okay but by July, the grass was starting to die off again and ow at the end of the year it is as bad as last year. It is shady under the tree but ot so bad as to be causing the problem I am seeing. Does ayone know if a girdling root on a tree has ay effect o the grass under the tree? I know that is a weird question but I am running out of ideas on what to do.

Thank you.

Jim
Old 11-14-2010, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The girdling root shouldn't be an issue, and is that truly what you are seeing.

Maples in general put out a toxin in the soil that can kill off grass, along with the fact they like to suck up any moisture under the tree.

Landscape it.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm not aware of Norway Maples having allelopathic characteristics. They do produce a dense mat of absorbing roots which is most likely what is causing your turf problems. I would imagine the the loam placed on top was quickly colonized by the maple.

There are 2 options that come to mind. Mulch the tree and forget growing grass under it or cut down the tree and grow grass.

Oh, if you keep the tree the girding root may need to go depending on how much the impact the removal would cause.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric E View Post
I'm not aware of Norway Maples having allelopathic characteristics. They do produce a dense mat of absorbing roots which is most likely what is causing your turf problems. I would imagine the the loam placed on top was quickly colonized by the maple.

There are 2 options that come to mind. Mulch the tree and forget growing grass under it or cut down the tree and grow grass.

Oh, if you keep the tree the girding root may need to go depending on how much the impact the removal would cause.
I've always felt they weren't as aggresive allelopathically as most maples.

I do agree though, the dense roots and lack of sunlight and moisture is mostly the problem.

I have a sugar maple in my yard and fought it for a couple of years before I landscaped it. I just made the bed big enough to put in some shade loving and hardy perennials. Probably the best decision I made as it spruced up the corner of my house better too.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.