Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2010, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Massey Lowballing?

Treated 27 Fichus trees (avg. 60" trunk), 2,000 ft 10' Fichus hedge and 100' of 5' fichus hedge for whitefly this year; treatments @ $1,600 per treatment.

Contract up for 2011 now includes all the ornamental's on the commons, islands & including trees & hedges. Bid $1875 per treatment or $3,750 for the contract.

HOA Prez tells me Massey bid $1,800 for two treatments or $900.00 per treatment. Am I out of touch with the world or is Massey shooting themselves in the foot There's no way I could afford to do the job properly for $900.00 and even at my price the margin is small. Itold him let Massey do it and he was surprised I didn't want to compete.

By the way, no whitefly on anything I have treated... Fichus leaf drop all around us. Pray for colder weather
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
Treated 27 Fichus trees (avg. 60" trunk), 2,000 ft 10' Fichus hedge and 100' of 5' fichus hedge for whitefly this year; treatments @ $1,600 per treatment.

Contract up for 2011 now includes all the ornamental's on the commons, islands & including trees & hedges. Bid $1875 per treatment or $3,750 for the contract.

HOA Prez tells me Massey bid $1,800 for two treatments or $900.00 per treatment. Am I out of touch with the world or is Massey shooting themselves in the foot There's no way I could afford to do the job properly for $900.00 and even at my price the margin is small. Itold him let Massey do it and he was surprised I didn't want to compete.

By the way, no whitefly on anything I have treated... Fichus leaf drop all around us. Pray for colder weather

Buck Wheat

Massey not only shot themselves in the foot but the entire industry. The Up Tight bean counters that run HOA will never learn they don't always get what they pay for and they dam sure don't get more than they pay for.

I see cycle over the long term with all HOA. They start off New looking great and keep paying the Landscape company that was with the builder. Then the board changes and Peter Pencil Pusher comes in and fires everyone for the Cheapest service in town. 3 to 5 years later the residents realize the place has gone to the devil and it costs them 5 times as much to bring it up to par as would of to of kept proper maintenance.

Oh!!! Sorry you lost the account. The old saying is a Commercial account will leave you for $ 10.00 a month and a homeowner for $ 5.00 a month.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ric;

You got that right, Massey will put down water & drop granular on top of the mulch around the tree rings & the planting beds, the LCO will blow all of it off after the first cut and if they don't, it may never make it through the mulch & into the ground in time for efficacy.

I'm not going to compromise my quality, proven performance or price. They "saved about $1900, but $150,000 of trees & ornamentals will be adios.

I think the place will be overun with whie fly come June of next year.

Too bad, could have used the money, think they'll call me next year?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buck Wheat

Having been there and done that expect a few years for the wound to start hurting before they call you back. Then kindly quote them a Price and forget the Vasoline. If you get the account back, you will earn every penny of your bid.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What continues to amaze me is homeowner ignorance.

I went to a property this past week for a partial landscape design/install/redo,etc. Not a completely high-end neighborhood, but all homes are on an acre+, 300k-1.5M range.

Anyways, the homeowner has some hack doing the maintenance(Augustine cut too short, hacked Awabuki/Ixora,etc.). Low and behold Massey is doing the spraying. However, the turf looks like it hasn't been fertilized in a year and there were broadleafs everywhere.

This is why we get a bad rap in this industry. When the spray company can sometimes correct the yard boys mistakes, the big name companies make it worse. But b/c people see commercials with True Brown, Massey,etc. they think they are the way to go. I have never seen a yard treated by one of the big companies that looks good.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ric,

not only will HOA o this but the county and city will do the same thing.i dont understand why these people dont question the huge price difference.to me kinda of goes back to common sense.if i put out 5 quotes and 4 come back within say 50.00 of each other and then one comes in at half the price i am going too ask that guy....
Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
ric,

not only will HOA o this but the county and city will do the same thing.i dont understand why these people dont question the huge price difference.to me kinda of goes back to common sense.if i put out 5 quotes and 4 come back within say 50.00 of each other and then one comes in at half the price i am going too ask that guy....
Gregory

It seem to me the richest guys are the cheapest. But in many cases being Penny wise can be pound foolish. A smart purchasing agent or person will automatically throw out top and bottom bid. They will also question bids that vary a great deal. The Service industry is not apples to apples, there can be a few rotten ones in the barrel.

BTW you got the Link to the 1592 sq ft 2-1-1.5 house on just under 2 acres. Not exactly a rich businessmans home. I would say it was more like a everyday working class home.

Oh Yes your Signature, I like it. Sounds Like something a real smart nice guy would of come up with.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The mentality down here is amazing, like Greg said, if I got 5 bids and four were within range and one was 50% less I would want to know why. In fact, I would probably not go with the guy unless he had agood explanation.

In my case, it's not because my margins are exorbitant. The guy from Massey doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground on how to properly treat whitefly, or he has no clue as to the cost of the chemicals and how much he'll need, and how long it will take him to do the applications.

It's hard to educate stupid people. They are like the Quebecians down here, price is all that matters. Couple years ago, when the dollar was king, one wanted to pay me in Canadian. I peed myself laughing in his face.

Ahh.. no Vaseline? No dinner, no drinks, no dirty talk... just the business; sounds fair.

Diamond: The LCO will always be blamed because they see your face more times than anybody else's.

it's MILLER TIME!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
The mentality down here is amazing, like Greg said, if I got 5 bids and four were within range and one was 50% less I would want to know why. In fact, I would probably not go with the guy unless he had agood explanation.

In my case, it's not because my margins are exorbitant. The guy from Massey doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground on how to properly treat whitefly, or he has no clue as to the cost of the chemicals and how much he'll need, and how long it will take him to do the applications.

It's hard to educate stupid people. They are like the Quebecians down here, price is all that matters. Couple years ago, when the dollar was king, one wanted to pay me in Canadian. I peed myself laughing in his face.
Ahh.. no Vaseline? No dinner, no drinks, no dirty talk... just the business; sounds fair.

Diamond: The LCO will always be blamed because they see your face more times than anybody else's.

it's MILLER TIME!!!!
Buck Wheat

We do have something in common.

Our mutual hate of Canadians. But then most Florida businessmen have the same Opinion of the Cheap F#@*er.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I got mixed results from the Massey properties I am on - some they do a great job - nothing two major to be concerned about - others look like crap. I must admit that there a several that I have cared for over the last couple of years, that I watched go from good looking lawns, to lawns with big sections of dirt because of chinch bug damage, weeds everywhere. It amazes me though - the homeowners stick with them. I do not understand it.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!