Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What do you use for edging yards?
String Trimmer 59 47.20%
Edger 66 52.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
This is why you use a stick edger....especially down here as many of the southern guys have said , our turf needs it .....but notice how clean the lines are on this property? Enough said
That's what I'm talking about. You can't get that with a string trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For the first edging of the year or a new overgrown account, I break out my walk behind edger. After that I use my stick edger most of the time. Towards the end of the season, I may use my trimmer on a couple of accounts. The stick edger leaves a better cut. Also I find myself having to restring my trimmer alot more when I use it to edge.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier landscaping south View Post
Stick Edger down here in the south to battle the creeping bermuda grass. I have to edge my bermuda lawn accounts on a weekly basis during the growing season to keep a nice clean STRAIGHT line.
agreed. Bermuda looks awesome when properly edged with an edger. I think if your looking for quality in your lawn maintenance you should always use an edger. As good as you are with a trimmer (im pretty good) an edger will always have better results. We are pros not homeowners and our work should reflect that. Like always though to each their own.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
This is why you use a stick edger....especially down here as many of the southern guys have said , our turf needs it .....but notice how clean the lines are on this property? Enough said
That's what I'm talking about, clean, straight lines.
Edger or nothing.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Me i dont have an edger yet.when i get one next season im getting a stick edger.but for first edge of the season i will borrow a friends its a walk behind edger.thats the first cut of the season then next time and through the whole season i will use my echo straight shaft trimmer.and it works great.never no problems using the trimmer to edge,but as lawnkingforever has said.u go though alot of line.same with me i have to restring quite a few times.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat48 View Post
Me i dont have an edger yet.when i get one next season im getting a stick edger.but for first edge of the season i will borrow a friends its a walk behind edger.thats the first cut of the season then next time and through the whole season i will use my echo straight shaft trimmer.and it works great.never no problems using the trimmer to edge,but as lawnkingforever has said.u go though alot of line.same with me i have to restring quite a few times.
A quality stick edger should be able to power through you first cut of the season.....so I am not sure I would invest the money in a walkbehind.....but rather use that money towards a quality stick edger that can handle the rough stuff you will encounter at the first of the season. The blades of your turf types in IL are much smaller and finer than ours.....and I can go to a overgrown property and get through several inches of overgrown St. Augustine on the sidewalk without any issues, so I would assume your finer blade turf would be no different.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
A quality stick edger should be able to power through you first cut of the season.....so I am not sure I would invest the money in a walkbehind.....but rather use that money towards a quality stick edger that can handle the rough stuff you will encounter at the first of the season. The blades of your turf types in IL are much smaller and finer than ours.....and I can go to a overgrown property and get through several inches of overgrown St. Augustine on the sidewalk without any issues, so I would assume your finer blade turf would be no different.
Yeah.thats what i said im getting stick edger.sorry if i meant walk behind.i borrow my friends which is a walk behind.sorry about that.and plus i think it will be good too.yes u are right,i assume too.i have my eye on a husqvarna stick edger.or a echo of course lol.either one of thoose.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Stick edger, they leave the best cut so that's what we use and what the customer deserves.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Edger is the only "right" way to go IMO.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will use the edger to establish an edge at the beginning of the year or on a lawn that has not been maintained in a while. After that I use the string trimmer with an Edgit for all edging and trimming.