Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What do you use for edging yards?
String Trimmer 59 47.20%
Edger 66 52.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 7,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
This is why you use a stick edger....especially down here as many of the southern guys have said , our turf needs it .....but notice how clean the lines are on this property? Enough said
That's what I'm talking about. You can't get that with a string trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 PM
lawnkingforever's Avatar
lawnkingforever lawnkingforever is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,169
For the first edging of the year or a new overgrown account, I break out my walk behind edger. After that I use my stick edger most of the time. Towards the end of the season, I may use my trimmer on a couple of accounts. The stick edger leaves a better cut. Also I find myself having to restring my trimmer alot more when I use it to edge.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier landscaping south View Post
Stick Edger down here in the south to battle the creeping bermuda grass. I have to edge my bermuda lawn accounts on a weekly basis during the growing season to keep a nice clean STRAIGHT line.
agreed. Bermuda looks awesome when properly edged with an edger. I think if your looking for quality in your lawn maintenance you should always use an edger. As good as you are with a trimmer (im pretty good) an edger will always have better results. We are pros not homeowners and our work should reflect that. Like always though to each their own.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Lefet's Avatar
Lefet Lefet is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
This is why you use a stick edger....especially down here as many of the southern guys have said , our turf needs it .....but notice how clean the lines are on this property? Enough said
That's what I'm talking about, clean, straight lines.
Edger or nothing.
__________________
Lefet Enterprises LLC
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2010, 07:34 PM
bobcat48's Avatar
bobcat48 bobcat48 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lansing IL
Posts: 3,180
Me i dont have an edger yet.when i get one next season im getting a stick edger.but for first edge of the season i will borrow a friends its a walk behind edger.thats the first cut of the season then next time and through the whole season i will use my echo straight shaft trimmer.and it works great.never no problems using the trimmer to edge,but as lawnkingforever has said.u go though alot of line.same with me i have to restring quite a few times.
__________________
2011 Ford f450 Dump
Haulmark enclosed 16'
2 Wright stander 48" x
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat48 View Post
Me i dont have an edger yet.when i get one next season im getting a stick edger.but for first edge of the season i will borrow a friends its a walk behind edger.thats the first cut of the season then next time and through the whole season i will use my echo straight shaft trimmer.and it works great.never no problems using the trimmer to edge,but as lawnkingforever has said.u go though alot of line.same with me i have to restring quite a few times.
A quality stick edger should be able to power through you first cut of the season.....so I am not sure I would invest the money in a walkbehind.....but rather use that money towards a quality stick edger that can handle the rough stuff you will encounter at the first of the season. The blades of your turf types in IL are much smaller and finer than ours.....and I can go to a overgrown property and get through several inches of overgrown St. Augustine on the sidewalk without any issues, so I would assume your finer blade turf would be no different.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
bobcat48's Avatar
bobcat48 bobcat48 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lansing IL
Posts: 3,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
A quality stick edger should be able to power through you first cut of the season.....so I am not sure I would invest the money in a walkbehind.....but rather use that money towards a quality stick edger that can handle the rough stuff you will encounter at the first of the season. The blades of your turf types in IL are much smaller and finer than ours.....and I can go to a overgrown property and get through several inches of overgrown St. Augustine on the sidewalk without any issues, so I would assume your finer blade turf would be no different.
Yeah.thats what i said im getting stick edger.sorry if i meant walk behind.i borrow my friends which is a walk behind.sorry about that.and plus i think it will be good too.yes u are right,i assume too.i have my eye on a husqvarna stick edger.or a echo of course lol.either one of thoose.
__________________
2011 Ford f450 Dump
Haulmark enclosed 16'
2 Wright stander 48" x
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 AM
nolanjim nolanjim is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lake worth fl
Posts: 194
Stick edger, they leave the best cut so that's what we use and what the customer deserves.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Leroy_1's Avatar
Leroy_1 Leroy_1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 20
Edger is the only "right" way to go IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 PM
ArTurf ArTurf is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ark
Posts: 1,775
I will use the edger to establish an edge at the beginning of the year or on a lawn that has not been maintained in a while. After that I use the string trimmer with an Edgit for all edging and trimming.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.10568 seconds with 9 queries