Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Tax write offs

What kind of unusual things do you guys write off. Not gas or mowers. The not so obvious stuff. I was trying to figure out if I could write off dog food and toys for my guard dog???
Old 11-15-2010, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreich3075 View Post
What kind of unusual things do you guys write off. Not gas or mowers. The not so obvious stuff. I was trying to figure out if I could write off dog food and toys for my guard dog???
I think you need to talk to your CPA more than asking that on a open forum.
I will say NO it is a pet.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes when i go on dates, I use the company card so i can write it off as entertainment

22 Years Old
10 Years in Business

-Commercial/ Residential
-Full Service.. Lawn Care, Landscaping, Estate Care, Snow & Ice Management

http://www.facebook.com/MMDLC

As of Dec. 2013 College is over and I'm full time!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do anything you want but if get audited by the IRS you better show proof it was a true business expense.
One guy on here asked if he could take his personal cell phone calls off if he used it part time for business and someone found the tax code on it.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Several years ago I too wanted to write off everything for the dogs. One was a blood hound. If you pulled up she barked, If she didn't like you, she would bite you, if you ran away she would track you down and then bite you again. We got an electric fence and got the same results. To me she was a guard dog and everything could have been wrote off. My wife said no. I say yes you can but, you don't have to convince me just the IRS. I say if you use it for your business run it by your accountant to be safe.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with gebby, run it by your accountant , I love mine she said I I could write off things I didn't know I could....... but make sure u have a good accountant!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All of you better have a real good accountant for next year and have a huge stack of 1099 forms.
From my understanding from the liberal dousch bag in office is that all receipts totalling more than 600 for any given catagory has to be 1099 to each place of business you deal with.
So lets say you spend 18,000 a year in gas such as I do and you go to 200 different gas stations you need to send each one a 1099. I travel all over my state for work. So I need to send a 1099 to a little hick gas station in the middle of the everglades for 80.00 of deisel.
Hey stupid demorcrats thanks for all the extra work......
Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
All of you better have a real good accountant for next year and have a huge stack of 1099 forms.
From my understanding from the liberal dousch bag in office is that all receipts totalling more than 600 for any given catagory has to be 1099 to each place of business you deal with.
So lets say you spend 18,000 a year in gas such as I do and you go to 200 different gas stations you need to send each one a 1099. I travel all over my state for work. So I need to send a 1099 to a little hick gas station in the middle of the everglades for 80.00 of deisel.

yep, gonna bury everyone in paper work.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
This is not the purpose of 1099 forms. If you pay someone $600 or more for contract labor, a 1099 is needed. Basically, think of a 1099 the same as a W-2 except it's for payments to contractors rather employees. You do not send 1099's to obvious businesses for goods received (gas from stations as suggested above).

More realistically, your mowing customers should be sending 1099's to you.

I was an accountant in a former life--and yes, if you're in business, you should be up on the tax rules or have someone on your side that is.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
This is not the purpose of 1099 forms. If you pay someone $600 or more for contract labor, a 1099 is needed. Basically, think of a 1099 the same as a W-2 except it's for payments to contractors rather employees. You do not send 1099's to obvious businesses for goods received (gas from stations as suggested above).

More realistically, your mowing customers should be sending 1099's to you.

I was an accountant in a former life--and yes, if you're in business, you should be up on the tax rules or have someone on your side that is.

well maybe you should be reading up on the new law.