Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Roll over bar

How come no one uses their roll over bar? 9 out of ten mowers i see have them folded down.
echo trimmer
echo backpack blower
Ford F350
9 residential accounts, 1 commercial
Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Low limbs and trees
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man, I know that was a simple one to answer Whiffy, but I don't think I've ever seen such a fast response!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
Man, I know that was a simple one to answer Whiffy, but I don't think I've ever seen such a fast response!
I just happened to hit new posts lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Run under a deck, under a limb, under a guy wire.
I'm at the point where I am probably gonna remove mine because even when collapsed it's in the way big time.
A full roll cage at least gives you a warning you're too close.
It's sorta like mowing with the factory chute, can't believe how much more time it takes to mow with it.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I use mine and the seat belt on rare occasions. I know my limits, and if I think Im going to roll then I'll probably just get off of the slope. But for a little peace of mind I'll fold up the bar now and then.
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever seen a ztr roll over? I looked all over the u tube and didn't come up with much. ZTR Roll over only showed one accident that was a real accident that a ROBS could have helped, the accident however could have still been avoided. Other than people blatantly exceeding safety standards, I think it's extremely difficult to actually tip a ztr over.

From a purely CG point of view, more weight up high makes anything more tippy. Put it down or just take it off. Down means even more stability, off means less weight.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the tires will slip and slide on a steep slope before the mower flips over when mowing sideways on a hill. i really don't see how you could flip over unless you just can't operate a ztr very well. i've even popped wheelies going up steep hills but you just let off on the levers a bit and lean forward and the front end goes back down. even if you kept going back the rear bumper would hit the ground and keep it from going all the way over i would guess. you'd have to really force the levers at full force all the way forward on a steep hill to get it to flip all the way over backwards. anyways this should never happen if you can operate a ztr properly.

it's good to keep it on and just leave it down if it's designed like the deere rops. it folds all the way down out of the way and acts like a barrier for the back end of the mower for protection. it's got a bumper back there and then the rops wrapped around too which comes in handy to protect the back end from hitting things like trees or whatever when backing up. it's also a good place to hook up a tow rope to to pull your ztr out of a ditch if the need arises.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How about once you start sliding on a steep embankment? All you have to do is catch one rut just right

I've heard of many flipping off retaining walls and such though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'm not saying it's impossible. just not likely if you use your brain. if a hill has ruts on it you shouldn't be mowing it anyways. you can always bail out on any hill before letting the mower get into a bad situation. just aim the front end downhill and you'll roll all the way down the hill. or you can point it up the hill and climp up the hill. now going off a wall is just operator stupidity in most cases. if it's a steep hill with a wall at the bottom or dropoff you shouldn't even be mowing it with a ztr unless your trying to commit suicide.

same thing if it's a lake with a steep hill next to it. when mowing with a ztr you need a place at the bottom of the hill in case the ztr looses traction. you can just run off downhill and be fine at the bottom. if there is a drop off or water or whatever there's no stopping and you will just make a big splash if you go into water or a big squash if you flip off of a drop off.

Last edited by weeze; 06-20-2013 at 06:32 PM.