Register free!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yellow grass

What causes the grass to have bright yellow stripes this time of year?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rust disease will cause the grass to be bright yellow. This is especially common on perennial rye in the fall. Worse if fertility is low or uneven. Worse if variety is not rust resistant seed. Usually disappears after a few good frosts.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Rust is very common this time of year, I agree. It is cool, wet and dark perfect for many types of fungi to grow

if it is just on the tip of the leaf it is probably a nutrient thing, if it is on the entire leaf or most of it most likely fungi
Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
What causes the grass to have bright yellow stripes this time of year?
Getting a lot of rain there lately?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know much about where you live, but I had similar symptoms that I couldnt permanently cure...... = lab results = nematodes = me + 2 cups of nemacur G = green grass =
Old 11-19-2010, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
I dont know much about where you live, but I had similar symptoms that I couldnt permanently cure...... = lab results = nematodes = me + 2 cups of nemacur G = green grass =
Thank god they took that poison off the market, I wonder how many thousand of bird and fish died from that stuff

Did you know Nemacur does not actually kill the nematodes it just stops them from feeding for about 3 to 4 weeks, they can last 3 months without food. In one study that we were in against nemacur the nematode count went through the roof, it is called "Fenamiphos soil", the nemacur is food to the microorganisms in the soil and it increases the nemtodes, in this trial they tripled in just a month
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Frost and traffic?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Getting a lot of rain there lately?
We've gotten a good rain storm once a week for the past 3 weeks or so and the temps are fluctuating a lot. 65 one day 45 the next.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rust fungus does not need much moisture. A heavy dew followed by sunny days suit it just fine. It usually occurs in fall.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Thank god they took that poison off the market, I wonder how many thousand of bird and fish died from that stuff

Did you know Nemacur does not actually kill the nematodes it just stops them from feeding for about 3 to 4 weeks, they can last 3 months without food. In one study that we were in against nemacur the nematode count went through the roof, it is called "Fenamiphos soil", the nemacur is food to the microorganisms in the soil and it increases the nemtodes, in this trial they tripled in just a month
I had stunt....What were the todes in the test?
I know it is bad stuff...I put out maybe 2lbs, my cuffs were all taped up and full getup ppe. Fact is that we have a bit laying around at the workplace....sad to say but some day it will all be applied, to be used on the GC. People hord that stuff, and similar banned like gold. I went into an unnamed chem room out west during a tour of a large property, they musta had 50 gallons of mecury and dursban on the shelf. Some think the future holds nothing as good, ever again. I give the organics a go.....thats why I'm on this forum. Bill on a side note, I am doing some tests with 123 as we speak. For fun, I am trying to see if I can burn anything with it. I did one area @ 1 oz per gallon......so far so good.