Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Firewood question

I sold wood this year as i got some wood from a big job, so i figured id split it and sell, well what a dumb mistake i made! The money is terrible and the work sucks, but anyways, i had a customer order 3 cords of wood. He came looked at the pile and liked the cond. of the wood so he said he would take 3 cords then he says, i have been buying wood for a long time and i like getting a full 3 cords, so if i dont get the right about what will you do about it? So me being the nice business man said i will make sure your happy. So i measured the wood stacked and loaded what i thought was to be 3 cords on, I made two trips with my 6x10 dump trailer with the sides 4 feet from bottom on trl to top of wood filled with firewood. Well a couple days goes by and what do you know he doesnt have enough wood. I went over and looked and i thought it was about right but i said id bring a little more, so i just droped off a load that went 2 feet high in the trailer and he still didnt seem happy. So my question is how much do you think my trailer holds? Its 6x10x4.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

1.875 cords

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 11-19-2010, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah it would be 1.875 cords in your trailer if you actually stacked it in there.

I don't sell a lot of firewood but when I do measure the stacked wood which I cut at 16 to 18 inches long and calculate it based on 16 inches to make sure I'm not shorting anyone. I haul it in my 7 x 12 dump trailer and a cord comes to be about level to the 20 inch side, not the wood extensions, about 5.2 cubic yards.

Soooo...6 x 10 x 4 x 2 = almost 18 yards...should be a solid 3 cords plus that you gave him. Of course it depends on how you pack it and the size of the wood and all. Sounds to me like you're getting jerked around. I'd inspect and measure his wood stacks, assuming it's all still there and not in the basement or something. And the cord measurment assumes it's stacked normally, not trying to pack it super tight or anything.

Last edited by Darryl G; 11-19-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

"Jerked around" is exactly what I was thinking, too.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 11-19-2010, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you've given him nearly 4 cords now. He either doesn't have a clue or thinks that you don't. If you've collected your money I would just move on and drop him. Cutting firewood for money sucks.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Yup got my money. He will never be a customer of mine seeing he lives in a **** whole with no lawn so im not going to answer or return his calls because i know hes gonna want more and more and more! Ahh firewood sucks im so glad im done with it!!!!!!! i just wanted to make sure i wasnt ripping somebody off thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Come on man fire wood is easy money, and it keeps you in shape during the off season. Nothing like swinging a axe for 10 hours a day to make you feel manly. Ok who really swings a axe anymore lol. Its all about the log splitter.

It also sounds ot me the customer is trying to take advantage of you.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how you can make any money selling firewood unless you own all the equipment needed,I was talking to a guy spitting logs and he said rental on a splitter here is $100 per day,after working nonstop for 4 hours he had maybe 2 cords split.Then you have to stack and store it for one year ,load and deliver it;how can you make any money at less than $200 a cord?I guess the main idea is you have to get rid of it and can break even on your costs if you get the right price.