Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There really isn't a BEST way to do it. Do what needs to be done, and learn what not to do the next time.

I do alot of clearing on the creek bank stuff that I do. Every one of them is different. So each time we clear, we have to adapt to where we are working.

Sometimes, I can get a truck to the work area and load debris out with a hoe as sonn as it comes out of the ground, other times (Like today) We have to hand drag small trees and branches to where my loader/grapple can get to them.

If I had the money, I would get some sort of a small whole tree chipper/shredder or a construction waste processor. I would load it with a hoe on site, and chip into a dump truck. I would then sell the mulch to builders for building site erosion control. Not that would be making a killing, but I would be making some extra cash off the haul off.

J.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Were making lawn/field to be mowed w/ finish mower every few weeks. So we have to get the stumps now. But the job evolved from taking out the saplings and briars, cut & drag job, into full fledged land clearing, everything to 8 inches.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I do this all of the time and My Tak TL140 will make short work of it. It will be about 3 times as fast as doing it with my KX 161 excavator. Both of those together with 2 operators is the best way to go.

When its cleared just use something to dig up the first six inches of the ground to loosen the rest of the roots left, Harley rake them up into piles, pick them up and your done. Perfect for ssed bed. There however will be a few small roots occasionally left sticking up but they will mow pretty easy.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

check out www.brushchipping.com and look at that type of chipper and mulcher combo.
If you are hand clearing and stack in piles, the chipper will self-load most of the material. What's left can be mulched. You might have to sub out some of the work but the end product will be park-like. BUT I just saw that you need the stumps out. I would have uprooted then mulched stumps and all in windrows and hauled off the shreds to be composted or regrinded. The ground would be left bare and need to be seeded right away, though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-24-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Im really asking what the fastest way possible is. Ive already sub'd and were half done. I want to not sub at all at some point.
in the future, team up with a brush mulcher type guy. I don't mulch a lot of standing trees rather I work with other tree companies/contractors who do their own clearing. I offer the mulching/chipping solutions and large stump removal and grinding.

You can handle the job and be responsible for all the clearing and clean-up. Down here, you can get a mulcher for a day on a big bobcat for about 1100-1200 for 7 hours of mulching +/-. If the guy has some skills, even with the limited power of a skid steer mulcher, the right technique makes up for it and you will be amazed at how much brush and stumps can be grinded up and mulched or chipped. The disposal, then, is much easier with the 10-1 reduction of mulching trees.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would do like several have sad use the mini ex and then the skid to bring it to the chipper but the one thing i'd do diff is leave it all by the chipper then when you are done or in stages id bring the mini ex back out to where the chipper is and use it to load the chipper. It's safer and much faster than trying to load a chipper by hand... and you cant load a chipper with the skid. Just make sure you keep one guy by the chipper feed wheel shut off incase u see something going in the chipper wrong

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."
Old 11-25-2010, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

One issue with mulching is you still have to remove the roots left in the ground and the mulched material from the site.

The fastest way period is to push everything up with a loader/dozer and then load into something and truck off the site wether it be dunptrucks or rolloff containers.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, I would tear it out roots and all and pile it with the 70 and use the Kioti and grapple to carry it to the chipper, there will be some stump trimming that needs to be done before the chipping takes place. Pick a good spot and lop the stumps off on the way, then the stumps are all in one place. It should go pretty quickly this way. If I rented the big Morbark chipper from the rental house up the road, I would put the mini by the chipper to feed it. Once brush this size has been handled with a machine, it's just about impossible to hand feed it.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

We have been using a Cat304 with the hydro thumb and move logs into the switch n go containers we drop. Then use the ex to load the chipper too. Regardless of how anybody does it, an ex with hydro thumb is A LIFE SAVER

2014 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Diesel 6.7L
2007 Ford F-550 Powerstroke Switch-n-go 6.0L
2005 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Diesel 6.0L
2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke w/EZdump 7.3L
2010 7x16 Enclosed
2013 60" eXmark Vantage X-series
eXmark 52" and 36" hydro Walk behinds
Little Wonder & Billy Goat Force Push Blowers
REDMAX Blowers, Trimmers
Giant Vac 35hp Truck Loader
Bandit 250xp 12" chipper
Husqvarna XP saws