Register free!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Don't worry about it. The strong will survive, the weak will die.
although your statement is true. The process of dying grass and struggling grasses will leave less than desirable results aesthetically (even if temporary) for a customer who just paid for lawn improvement work.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
although your statement is true. The process of dying grass and struggling grasses will leave less than desirable results aesthetically (even if temporary) for a customer who just paid for lawn improvement work.
The home owner did the over seed per post #1, so even if there is a temporary reduction in "aesthetic pleasure", it is a job that was not paid for and can only be blamed on the home owner. On the other hand, why pay someone to spray some garbage, or to manually thin the turf when it will occur naturally? Seems counter productive to me, given the goal is to establish a thick stand of turf.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've seeded too thick before and usually the whole area dies. Looks great at first but not for long, lol.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
The home owner did the over seed per post #1, so even if there is a temporary reduction in "aesthetic pleasure", it is a job that was not paid for and can only be blamed on the home owner. On the other hand, why pay someone to spray some garbage, or to manually thin the turf when it will occur naturally? Seems counter productive to me, given the goal is to establish a thick stand of turf.
my bad, I sometimes dont read the entire thread (bad habit) and thought this was a job done by someone on here for a price and looking for a solution. And I agree if the homeowner did it, let nature takes it course and save their money on not needed services.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

The "strong will survive" does not hold true. The whole stand will be weakened and there will be high risk for disease. Even mildly densely seeded fescue will be less drought and heat tolerant. I think the suggestion of an aggressive core aeration is the only thing that will save the situation.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

without seeing it and how young etc it is hard to tell, but the aeration would do it, and if it could handle it without complete disctruction a verticut through it once, or twice would also possibly do the trick
Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh View Post
The "strong will survive" does not hold true. The whole stand will be weakened and there will be high risk for disease.
It absolutely does hold true and disease pressure in the fall is low, even if the "whole stand" is weakened, which may or may not be the case. Keep in mind, this was an over seed, not new turf establishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh View Post
Even mildly densely seeded fescue will be less drought and heat tolerant.
Please explain your reasoning here.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The idea that seeding at too high a rate is detrimental to the stand was what we were taught when I was at Penn State.

Apparently Ohio State has been doing some research on athletic fields with varying high rates of perennial ryegrass seeding. I'm pretty sure it is Ohio State, not positive. From what I remember some of the test plots were getting as high as 200 pounds per 1000 over the course of a year with no decline.

Anyway, what we have all been taught is not holding true in all instances. Don't know if they are trying this with fescue but it certainly is interesting.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Mine was seeded 4 years ago with fescue at 15#/M and have had no issues. But, I'm not in Georgia either.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Depends on the variety. I find that TTTF's will regulate themselves much better than blues and rye.
YUP. And another reason why Im using more TTTF majority blends!