Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Spraying/Spreading: Tanks, Hoses and Push Spreaders vs Ride Ons

Coming to the lawn and landscape business after 20 years as private golf course superintendent. Have always used boom sprayers and considered hose spraying to be very inefficient. LT Rich and Turfco have ride on spreader/sprayer machines that look interesting. I understand the fact that there is some restricted access issues with the ride-ons with certain properties.
My question: Is hand spraying and spreading better than ride-on in the residential/small commercial market? Whichever you suggest, could you also give recommendations on manufacturer?

Thanks,

johnny b
Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybee View Post
Coming to the lawn and landscape business after 20 years as private golf course superintendent. Have always used boom sprayers and considered hose spraying to be very inefficient. LT Rich and Turfco have ride on spreader/sprayer machines that look interesting. I understand the fact that there is some restricted access issues with the ride-ons with certain properties.
My question: Is hand spraying and spreading better than ride-on in the residential/small commercial market? Whichever you suggest, could you also give recommendations on manufacturer?

Thanks,

johnny b
Really depends on your market and what your going after. Small 5k resi? 100% liquid app all the way. 10k resi? could probably use a ride-on if it was open. If not might be as quick to use a 100% liquid app. and get better results. Big wide open 30k estate, quicker to use a ride-on.

As far as ride-ons, we have permagreen and would not get another. Looking into a t3000i possibly this fall. LT Rich looks like they have some solid, well built stuff but also hear that the t3000i has the best hillside stability which is big for our permagreen guy.

The LEAST efficient way of doing things is 2 stepping.

The MOST efficient way is either a 100%liquid app or a ride-on, really depends on the lawn. We have some techs spraying over 3 acre properties liquid because of the results. If the turf is already in good shape, ride-on would work fine. If it is a new customer, we can make a miracle app with liquid the first application.

This is all for our company, about 2500 fert/WC customers, 3k to multi acres. Other companies/markets may be different. Our MOST profitable routes are 3-5k lawns that our techs can crank out with liquid, 30+/day. Large ones are nice but dont produce as much $$