Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyed View Post
Wouldn't you want wider pads?
24"s arnt bad for a 140, I think thats what they come standard with. I'd love to have 28"s on it but I have mats if it gets that wet. plus its a lot easier on the machine to turn smaller pads then the big 36" swamp pads I have on my big machines!

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 12-04-2010, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
I've had a long thought about blades on a hoe this size. I just think it will get in the way. Plus working in deep mud like I always do I think it'll become a anchor. As far as grading, I have a dozer or skid steer if I need to push or level dirt.

here's my ultimate goal.

I want to eventually sell the tak 135 excavator for a tak 175 hoe

this way my excavators will be a:

12k yanmar
16K takeuchi 175
30K 140 volvo
50K 210 volvo
That sounds like a nice range of hoes. Have you ever tried the TK with the swing boom(153/180)?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't have a preference for long vs. short stick?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Member

our 13/16 ton machines are on 600mm pads(24") standard over here still ok on soft ground but do sink in the wet stuff but unless you are running 1400mm every thing does.

nice looking machine and the hydraulic thumb be worth it in less time out the cab, are you going in the truck and trailer to actually buy one while you are there? not sure where TN is in relation to you.

incidentally komatsu are building and selling the pc160lc on 1400mm pads over here now straight from factory no after market modifications, weighs 21 tons ground pressure of 0.195kg/sq.cm but only good for softground work.

big pads

Last edited by Giles_uk; 12-04-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
oh here's the other volvo I'm looking at

its a 2006 EC140BL

had 1500 hrs on it, 24" pads and a hydro thumb

Priced higher at $63K

seen a little digging with the ass but nothing a little paint can't fix?
This machine has seen mostly working in sand and gravel look at the wear marks on the paint on the U/C and the corners of the counter weight. The front idlers have been in sand or gravel and as the machine swings it is brushing up against the pile.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopers View Post
You don't have a preference for long vs. short stick?
Another big item we have pondered alot about. The long stick is about 2' longer then the standard size if i'm correct. Then it becomes a height issuse when hauling the machines since the boom will not tuck under as far with the longer stick. I want to use my tag trailer for moving and that sits up about 3' off the ground VS a lowboys 18". We have alot of bridges that are only 12'-14' tall and I think it will just be aggrivated trying to advoid all them.

A driver hauling a rented machine for us oneday hit a 13'10" bridge with a 14'2" JCB 220 oneday, that was not pretty for the top stick cylinder.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stay away from a blade on any excavator larger than 8 tons, they are nice, but the temptation to push like a dozer is too great and you will be paying dearly for undercarriage and drive motor/final drive repairs.
They are just an annoyance to work around and climbing up and down stock piles and dragging them through the mud is a real pain in the ass.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 12-04-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Stay away from a blade on any excavator larger than 8 tons, they are nice, but the temptation to push like a dozer is too great and you will be paying dearly for undercarriage and drive motor/final drive repairs.
They are just an annoyance to work around and climbing up and down stock piles and dragging them through the mud is a real pain in the ass.
It dpends on what your doing. For what you just described, yes. For working on slopes, blades act a a balacing agent, and can keep you from sliding down a slope.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Another big item we have pondered alot about. The long stick is about 2' longer then the standard size if i'm correct. Then it becomes a height issuse when hauling the machines since the boom will not tuck under as far with the longer stick. I want to use my tag trailer for moving and that sits up about 3' off the ground VS a lowboys 18". We have alot of bridges that are only 12'-14' tall and I think it will just be aggrivated trying to advoid all them.

A driver hauling a rented machine for us oneday hit a 13'10" bridge with a 14'2" JCB 220 oneday, that was not pretty for the top stick cylinder.
Your going to have to be carefull if you have 12 foot clearance bridges they must be old the reason for the low clearance. A 20 ton hoe on a tag trailer with the boom curled down as far as it will go is right at the 13 foot 6 mark.

Sure glad we don't have bridges to contend with because nothing would beable to be hauled around here. The logging equipment hauled on lowbeds is all at 14 feet tall.

One of the truck drivers I know that hauls to from Vancouver had a pick up in a older part of the city. Drove down the neighbourhood street with the tandem axle truck it has a high cube box on it and took out everbodies cable vision line to their houses.

The cable tv company didn't string the lines high enough so 15 houses lost their cable vision. The truck driver picked up his load and got out of Dodge before the people in the neighbourhood surounded the truck
Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.rbauction.com/details-en_...tor_2895088/ci Here is one real close to you looks to be in good shape.