Register free!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Another dumb home owner...

Hello, I've been reading the forums for quite a while and realize that you guys dislike us home owners asking questions. I am not trying to be that cheap customer down the street that isn't going to pay someone else to do a job, I just happen to enjoy tinkering with projects around the house. Blame my grandfather. Anyway... I am installing an irrigation system that so far includes 2 zones each with 8 Rainbird 5004+ series rotors, the zone valves are Rainbird DVF 100, and a Wilkens 720A PVB. I am open to suggestions for a controller.

The water source for the irrigation system is a 2000 gallon container connected to a Goulds GT-10 pump. The pump is located about 6 feet off the ground and the head is maybe 18 inches at most. The outlet from the 2000 container is 2" PVC that goes down to 1.5" galvanized to the pump inlet. Pump outlet is 1.5" galvanized down to 1" copper to 1" PVC manifold to 1" poly in the ground. I have an aquarium room and thought instead of running the old water down the drain, I would collect it and use it to irrigate. I have a couple of the inline spin down filters installed to clean any debris from the water as it enters the 2000 gallon tank.

I finally hooked up the pump last week (it has been sitting around for a couple years) and it pumps the water out beautifully. I had originally planned to just hook up to the city water, so I had purchased the Wilkins 720A PVB. I installed the PVB, hooked up all the water lines (haven't wired the valves yet), flipped on the power switch, slowly opened the inlet valve to the PVB, heard the whoosing air sound, opened the outlet to the PVB and NOTHING. Water was dripping from one of my threaded connections in the basement, but no water coming outside. I disconnected the PVB, water pumped just fine. So I haven't even gotten to see if my rotors will pop up.

My questions are:
1 Does a system such as this need a PVB since it isn't connected to a city water source?

2 If it does need a PVB, does it seem like I installed it wrong?

3 If I can get this to work, could I add a low flow valve for drip irrigation, or would that cause stress on the pump.

4 Suggestion for a controller

I know you like pictures, so here you go. Yes, I see that the inlet valve to the PVB is closed in the picture. You can see where the wall is wet from water dripping on the outlet side of the pump. I know the offset in the manifold is ugly. Feel free to move the pictures to the hacks and pikers if you feel the need.

Thanks!
Chris
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

working on the other pictures....
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If it is not connected to a domestic source you wouldn't need a backflow device.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are the PVB, manifold and pump.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2012, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

a PVB has no part in a system that includes both ground water and city water
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

You had the PVB installed backwards
Old 08-18-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry wet boots, I was not clear on the water source. I had originally intended to just use the city water. It was later that I decided to use the container and pump. The system now is only connected to the water tank and pump, no city water.

I will remove the PVB.

Thanks
Chris
Old 08-18-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

S.O. Contracting I bet that would be a problem....

Like I said, better add it to the Hacks and Pickers....

Thanks
Old 08-18-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The PVB is installed backwards.

Where I'm from - If your well system is connected to Your drinking water supply as well as the irrigation then a back flow prevention device is still required regardless of it not being installed on the city water potable supply

Also the Galvi to copper connection will eventually corrode. There is a chemical break down between the 2 pipes that is caused by Electrolysis. Use a diaelyectric connection in between the two

Last edited by mitchgo; 08-18-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28AcresToMow View Post
The system now is only connected to the water tank and pump, no city water.
I'm getting confused, are you pumping from a well into storage and irrigatating from there?