Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was at one of Keith Jarrett's piano improvisation performances, and he used Cast Your Fate to the Winds to improvise around - forty-odd minutes of everything but actually playing the tune - drove me nuts for awhile, until I recognized his theme.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I was at one of Keith Jarrett's piano improvisation performances, and he used Cast Your Fate to the Winds to improvise around - forty-odd minutes of everything but actually playing the tune - drove me nuts for awhile, until I recognized his theme.
Must have been great! Was that recorded?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think so. It was at Carnegie Hall, or maybe their recital hall, so the acoustics were perfecto. He was actually just one of three players who each did a solo set. The others were McCoy Tyner and Herbie Hancock. Hancock was too much into electric gimmickry at that performance, fidddling with some sort of sampling box, to accompany himself with.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I lost interest in Herbie and the rest of the bunch when they started getting plugged-in. Miles ditched me with "Bitches Brew". Must of been some killer Peruvian flake snorting around N.Y. during those days.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It was the wrong room to bring electronics to. Tyner's playing was just as profound as Coltrane's work was. I'd hear him play any time.

The Bitches Brew stuff was a springboard for me into a larger world of jazz. Fusion was a sort of extension of ordinary rock, or so it seemed at the time. Colors and moods beyond anything in the rock-and-roll world.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Fusion was a sort of extension of ordinary rock, or so it seemed at the time. Colors and moods beyond anything in the rock-and-roll world.
How the hell could you dance to it? I'd prefer the Dead and the Allman Bros. for pure rock. Fusion was a way for the suits to sell more records and the jazz guys wanted a piece of the $$$$$$.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, of course, you can learn about it later on. I think much of it comes from Miles seeing the audience response to Sly Stone, and thinking he wants some of that. His producer splices some tracks together, and you get the In a Silent Way album (which I still like to this day)

I especially liked early Weather Report. Their music was "freer" and less busy than Mahavishnu or Return to Forever. Didn't stay that way, unfortunately.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"Kind of Blue" still kills me, as does "Sketches of Spain".
Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I gave Seven Steps to Heaven one time as an answer to Bucky Pizzarelli's call for requests.

"Think pre-1947" was his response.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, what goes around, et cetera ~ thanks to longer Youtube vids, I was just listening to Jarrett's Koln Concert, and started wondering whether he ever did a recording, or maybe a repeat of the Cast Your Fate to the Winds improvisation, but google led right back here.

One of the most enjoyable performances of the era, for this comparative musical simpleton, was by Return to Forever making a instrumental rock anthem out of the title riff of Sometime Ago. In terms of chops and rhythm and tightness and pure musical force, I was hearing something beyond the capability of rockers (possible exception given to Cream at their best) ~ as far as I know, there has never been a recording released of this version, even though I have it on the very best of authority it exists, or one very similar, assuming a venue with better acoustics or what not.

Sometime Ago is first a track on Chick Corea's first piano improvisations album, and the key riff only makes a brief appearance well into the track. It next appears as a track on the very first Return to Forever album, when they were keeping in a purer style of bossa-nova jazz, complete with vocals by Flora Purim. That version of the band was not the one I saw doing the rock anthem bit a few years later.