Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2010, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Small Water Feature We Just Completed

Here are some photos from a job we completed a week or two ago.
Attached Images

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-27-2010, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Water Feature itself looks good, but you now need to sell them a new fence. It really clashes with the Water Feature. Maybe you can hide the fence with some type of shrubbery between the WF and the fence.

A few more larger rocks scattered on either side of the WF would help it blend into the adjacent areas.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim,

we have to get the ring mentality out of your head..... your job doesn't look too bad but could look alot better. First, use large boulders out in the landscape to make the feature flow. Secondly, instead of flagstone for drops use flat nature rocks. Third, try to break up the ring by using plants right up to the water or mulch or both. Keep at it I know you strive to be the best.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
....use large boulders out in the landscape to make the feature flow.
That's the word I couldn't think of. FLOW....gotta remember that, really describes the desired visual effect!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Gph?

what kind of GPH are you getting out of curiousity? looks good though....

http://hydroterradesigns.com

"We've Got You Covered!"
Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
Jim,

we have to get the ring mentality out of your head..... your job doesn't look too bad but could look alot better. First, use large boulders out in the landscape to make the feature flow. Secondly, instead of flagstone for drops use flat nature rocks. Third, try to break up the ring by using plants right up to the water or mulch or both. Keep at it I know you strive to be the best.
Thanks. Yah, I just bought Rick Bartel's Book last weekend (actually got to meet with him and talk to him for like 45 minutes at the I.A. show, and got him to sign his book). Before I started reading his book, I kinda thought are water features were fairly natural looking. But after reading, I now see a lot of things that we could have done better. Like the things you point out. I think our next one next year will be a lot nicer. Thanks for the feedback, though.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroTerra View Post
what kind of GPH are you getting out of curiousity? looks good though....
The pump is a Little Giant WGP95. I think the max on that pump is 4800 GPH. And although we did install a ball valve on the line, I think we have it wide open right now and in those photos.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE= And although we did install a ball valve [/QUOTE]

Im on the fence with the Little Giants, had some problems with impellers before, but seems you got them working good....also, just out of curiosity, down here in Charleston, SC freeze is not a huge issue, but i was just curious how you hedge against such in the northwest...do you take the pump out and submerge it in h20 over the winter, inside of course, or do you just let it run? thanks for the insight, and keep up the good work!!

http://hydroterradesigns.com

"We've Got You Covered!"
Old 12-13-2010, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Portland is a pretty temporate climate. It doesn't get too hot, doesn't get too cold. It rarely freezes or snows here in the winter. And when it does, it almost always melts in a day or two. And it never freezes water more than about 1" thick. So as long as your pump is more than 1" under water (which it always is) there's no need to remove it for the winter.

My advice to customers is to keep their water feature running, if they want to. Moving water doesn't freeze as easily as still water. And as long as the water is moving, it's keeping the water feature clean and filtered. When water sits a while without moving through rock and filters, it gets stagnant and nasty. If they do want to unplug the water feature during cold spells, that's okay too. I just tell them to not wait too long to plug it back in.

I'm not super loyal to Little Giant pumps. That's just what my main distributor stocks. Actually, I think that's Horizon's (Sure Pro) version of the little giant WGP 95. Still made by little giant but repackaged under the Sure Pro name and sold at Horizon. And then they add another 1 year warranty for a total of 2 years. The standard Little Giant pumps are only warrantied for 1 year. So this way I get an extra year warranty. And I only warranty pumps for the duration of the manufacturer's warranty.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Little Giant 5-MSRP=WG that I have been using as a general utility since the late '90s when they were THE submersible pump of choice. Tough little booger! But sometime after the turn of the century, Little Giant pumps began to develop major seal failure problems(due to outsourcing?) and rapidly lost their reputation for dependability. Have not really heard much in favorable comments since they were acquired by Franklin Electric a few years ago. I would hesitate to purchase one.

And, yes, Jim's correct. The only reason for removing a pump in the winter is if the water in the pump will freeze, Considering the installation water depth of most submersibles, this isn't likely except maybe in far North.