Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2010, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Questions About Aerator Tines

1) How long do they last? The Deere Tine Catalog (http://www.seamusweldon.com/brochures/brochure_16.pdf) has three different grades:

Quote:
HDT:
The highest quality of tine in the range. A hardened tip is joined to a high quality body. These tines are exceptionally long lasting – they should be good for 19 greens*. Furthermore, the tine will retain its length during its working life, so the holes on the last green you do will be comparable with the first green.

HD:
The same high quality body but without the high specification hardened tip. Expect around half the life of the HDT tine*. Again tine length remains consistent.

Conventional:
No hardened tip. Tine length wears down with use, so holes between first to last green are not consistent. Tines may need to be changed after as few as 4 greens*.
2) How easily do they break? The rental place had a box full of broken ones but no replacements. The Deere Aerator 800 manual says:

Quote:
Operating Tips

Around Greens and Teeboxes:
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! When making turns, ALWAYS RAISE the aeration head first before turning.
  • Survey the green before aerating. Remove all debris before aerating.
  • Plan your direction to minimize turning and maneuvering around hazards at the end of a pass.
  • Make the initial pass across the center of the green and work your way to the outside.
  • Maintain consistent spacing while aerating a green by selecting a marking reference before starting.
  • Do not make sharp turns. Raise aeration head out of ground to turn at the end of pass.
General Operating Practice
  • If engine begins to labor or slow down when operating the machine in hard soil or going uphill, raise the aeration head slightly until the engine regains its speed.
  • Wait to aerate if the soil is too hard and compacted. Aerate after rain or watering to achieve best results.
  • Always carry extra tines and tools to replace a tine if it breaks while you are aerating.
I made that last line bold.

3) What size tine? There are a wide variety of tine sizes, most available open/side ejecting and closed top ejecting (stronger, more consistant hole) in a wide variety of diameters: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8, 3/4" and 1". There are three tine holders; a 'mini' for the 1/4" that holds the tines at 1.4" spacing, and the others, 2". There are three different tine holders, a mini for 6 1/4" tines, one for the large 3/4" and 1" tines, and one for the other size. This stuff can get expensive, with 16 tines running as much as $200, the turf guards $200, tine holders another $400, although the holder, or core deflector should be maintenance items.

The rental house had installed what appears to be HD1/4" mini tines, although I think I only counted 4 per holder. Could he have installed them in the wrong holder?

He said they do break, but then the Deere catalog says"

Quote:
What do I do if my tines seem to be breaking prematurely?

Be sure that the tine you have selected is the right structure for the area. Tines designed for greens and tees are not necessarily designed to withstand impact against hidden objects such as stones and tree roots, for example. Wear around the side eject window will eventually weaken the tines, so they should be replaced before they reach this stage.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Sponsor

What are you aerating?

The hardest doesn't mean it is less likely to break...just wear better on the designed use.....sand base greens.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All of the tine catalogs talk about the trade-off between long life and wear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere Tine Catalog
Coring Tines
Long Lasting – Tubular, Side EjectLower cost for individual tines but they will not give consistent hole quality over 19 greens. Useful if you expect to break tines on stones etc.
Quote:
JRM Economy Tines
The JRM Economy tines are an improved, straight-carbon steel with an excellent cost-toperformance ratio. Our walls are thicker than most OEM’s at this price level. The added thickness and better metal provides an excellent value. The 3/4 Inch economy tines feature a .070 inch for added strength in extreme conditions.

JRM added to its rolled tine line introducing a tine with a standard 3/4 inch mount. Both of our rolled tines feature a thick wall (.134”) and are perfectly suited for aerating ball fields and for landscaping.
Quote:
With the development of the “FS” (Fairway Side-eject) tines, superintendents have a robust tine family that offers the longevity required for fairway aerification. The FS tines are available in both premium and DILLENNIUM® versions. It is advised that if you are aerating on very rocky or hard surfaces that you run the premium version of our tines until you are confident that you have removed much of the hard rock and soil. In optimal conditions, our DILLENNIUM® tines will run much longer and become a great value as you will need fewer tines to finish your aerification, and you won’t have to waste time changing out tines.
However, I have no idea what the breakage is in practice. Greens average 5000sqft or so, 18 holes would be 90k-100ksqft. All the catalogs talk about significant wear over that distance.

They talk about rocks, etc on new fields, landscapes, and fairways. That appears to be where they recommend their lower cost tines until the field is relatively free of these issues.

There are 1/4" tines, that appear to be used on greens. Used with the tigher spacing tine holders (1.4") they are less disruptive yet more effective on greens. On fairways tines from 3/4" to 1" seem to be common:

Quote:
The 13/16 inch tube size has become a clear favorite for many situations. It has replaced the 3/4 inch as the tine of choice for most superintendents due to its many superior characteristics. The 13/16 inch tube is less likely to bend or break under difficult conditions. In addition, most superintendents prefer the quality of core and cut that it produces. The cost benefit ratio for the 13/16 inch tine is outstanding if one requires a full 6 inches of core depth.
We are doing this property; the picture is east facing west. Areas exposed to western sun are dead. Other areas vary in vigor, although surviving grass (all tall fescue) is very strong. The underlying soil, 2 to 4" down depending on area, is a red clay that forms 'rocks' on its own.

The first thing I need to do is find out what tine holder the machine has. I know it has mini tines (the rental place showed me the box), however, I think I saw 4 tines per holder...which means the minis are in the wrong holder. Or was it the 6 tine mini holder? If the later, super minis at around .4" OD and costing more than the rental would be the only alternative. Otherwise, 5/8" would be available, and maybe even 3/4" or 13/16". The economy tines with .134 wall are 3/4".

I don't know enough about the relationship of tines to mounts to understand the issues. Deere's catalog shows tines larger than 5/8" with a 7/8" mount. JRM has tines upto 13/16" with a 3/4" mount. If the mount is the 3/8" mini, JRM has a .460" OD 5" tine, but double the cost of the 3/4" economy tine, and you need 24 in the machine instead of 16.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Sponsor

That aerator especially with 1/4" tines is not designed for that type of job. Yes you will break the tines on tree roots and rocks. Probably several of them.

Why not look at our riding aerator. There are videos on here and on YouTube. Rental stores love them and will be much faster than what they currently have and also won't break tines. They will thank you for showing them the aerator.

On a residential lawn I would go with a 5/8" - 3/4" plug diameter since it is only done 1-2 times per year. golf courses use 1/4" plugs and do it almost monthly.

Take a look.

David Cook
President
Lawn Solutions
Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnSolutionsCP View Post
That aerator especially with 1/4" tines is not designed for that type of job. Yes you will break the tines on tree roots and rocks. Probably several of them.

Why not look at our riding aerator. There are videos on here and on YouTube. Rental stores love them and will be much faster than what they currently have and also won't break tines. They will thank you for showing them the aerator.

On a residential lawn I would go with a 5/8" - 3/4" plug diameter since it is only done 1-2 times per year. golf courses use 1/4" plugs and do it almost monthly.

Take a look.

David Cook
President
Lawn Solutions
First reason: no one has one.

The only aerators I've found, other than this Aerator 800, are small Claussens and Billy Goats. Not even a Ryan. Your web site says the nearest one of your aerators is a small walkbehind in a neighboring state.

I like the Deere and Toro pro units because of the hole density and way the hole is made. The available Deere doesn't have the plug pushers in front of the wheels, may not have the tine holders I'd prefer. However, it will create a 2"x2" (36 hole/sqft) or 1.4"x1.4" (with mini tines, 72 holes/sqft) aeration. The Deere 800 has a 32" wide path, a Toro 648 a 48" path. Most of the residential and commercial units seem to be closer to 6-12 holes/sqft.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Sponsor

Have you used one of these on a residential lawn before?

Also, who is the rental store who rents the 800?

Thanks

David
Old 11-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Sponsor

Just send a PM with the rental store info.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

never had a broken tine, (core type) have had broken bolts that hold them in place though...
Old 11-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Sponsor

Impressive....even with 1/4" tines?
Posted via Mobile Device