Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Ways to Cut Costs when Handling/ Disposing Green Debris

Hello! I know I am scratching an old wound- but our landscape company is looking for a way to reduce costs of handling green debris.
We create a great deal of green debris from our pruning, limb cutting and rip outs- we have about 24 employees and generate about 2 to 4 loads (20 yds each) on a weekly basis.

Last year we paid a local landfill about $12,000 to dump there- not to mention paying our workers atleast an hour per dump load and gas for the sidsteer and dumptruck.

There are no nearby free dumping sites and our yard size can only accomodate about a 40' x 40' dump area- we are trying to look for possibly equipment that would chip it down.

Has anyone found a way to shave their disposal costs?
Or had a good experience with a particular piece of equipment that did not cost alot?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My neighbor at our company yard dumps his tree trimmings in his yard then has a laborer that just cuts, splits and stacks wood all day. Then he loads the small brushy stuff into dumpsters and sells the rest for firewood.

The tree service I sub big work to chips everything. He does his best to schedule clean loads and dirty loads so when he has clean loads he sells them to some of the horse arena's.

I find that people with problems have given things a lot of thought prior to asking questions like this. So finding a solution you have not thought of I believe will be very difficult.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I wonder if you could sell it to a company that's turning lawn waist into bio fuel? I don't know anything about that, but I've definitely read articles about people doing that.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Look for a local arborist that has a couple of acres that they compost on, around the washington dc area there are companies that will drop a can at your site so your trucks can unload at your site and then will haul it to their facility to be composted

If there is no one in your area that is doing this, what I like to call the circle of life, then you should get into it, tipping fees, as you have seen, are very profitable

this is a perfect example, http://www.pogoorganics.com/

you are basically being paid to take in debris that you recycle and sell back to the very same people that dropped it off as compost or mulch, you can even make soil mixes with as well
Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Thankyou guys for your thoughts, I will look inot the composting idea especially with a local arborist who makes his own mulches-

Kevin
Old 02-02-2011, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Austin area has at least two companies that makes mulch. We still have to pay about $30 for a trailer load and I would guess $50 for truck load of chipped wood. Both have tub grinders and I am guessing maybe $250K or more. So in the end they only get trid of this stuff by selling it back to us. City gives it away from their chippers but that stuff isn't really good for much of anything. Just no cheap way to get rid of it.

Tags
clippings , disposal , green debris , waste