Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-06-2015, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ball client out or stay profesional

I am so pissed off why this client doesn't understand why I would think they got somebody else to maintain the property.

I've been in the trade for over 30 plus years. I am a licensed state c-27 contractor.

Many of the residential clients that I still do are legacy clients of my father. Many of these clients watch me grow up to, from a 10 year kid getting yelled at by his dad to get out of the truck and get to work to now. A lot of those legacy clients are dying and I sometimes get the new owners and sometimes don't. Heck that's part of the business.

What I'm questioning is what to do with this one. This is the third time that has happened but the first time that I ever got a response.

This client's parents i have been working for the mother and father the past 22 years. Recently, the mother passed away and the kids decided to keep the house for a bit and wait till the spring to sell it.

I already new that I was eventually going to loose this client sometime this month as the house was being put up for sale. These houses don't last long on the market. Maybe less than 2 weeks.

I come to do my first visit and come to find the house all the bushes trimmed and mulched all over the place. I was real disappointed with what i saw because lets face it, maintenance is just surviving. The real money to be made is the extra services. Nobody from the family or the relator called me to do a bid or even asked if I did this stuff.

What the real estate did was stage the house to prepare the house for market. They bring rented furniture to make the house more appealing and of course the outside of the house.

I am pissed at them for not even giving me the opportunity to bid or do the work to spiffy up the place. I decided that let them worry about cutting the grass .

I wrote the son a quick email and said:

Mr. -------

It appears that somebody else is doing the landscape maintenance at your parents house. I have stopped service for this reason.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve your family over the years. Best of luck with the sale of your parents house. I'm sure it will sell fast.

Well I was surprised he responded to my email like this:

John,
I don't know why you think we got somebody else. The realtor had somebody come in and do the work. I had told you the house was being put up for sale on March 8th. and to continue service until i tell you the house sold.

Any way good luck.

I want to respond back so much, but my instinct tells me not to and drop it.
What i really wanted to tell him was don't you realize that after working for your parents for such a long time, you go and allow somebody else to come in and do the work. Work that I am well qualified to do. I don't make my money by maintenance but make money by doing extra services. This is something that you should of taken into consideration. You could of shown some respect and loyalty to me. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if somebody impeded on your ability to earn a wage either.

What are your thoughts? Would you respond to his response? Should I or drop it?

John
Old 03-06-2015, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can't fault them for not seeing things the way you are looking at this.
Their priority is selling the house - not feeding your family.

Perhaps they never had the chance to offer you the work? It sounds like they had little to do with hiring the other guy.

It's really hard to say without knowing all the details. Sure, it would tick me off a bit, but what's the point in "letting them know about it" if you are done with them anyway?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Parents are gone. The kids don't know you, don't know your skillset, don't owe you jack, and regardless they hired a realtor to get the house ready. Realtors are going to use their people first, it's what realtors do. Don't like it? Network with realtors and become their guy.

Let it go. You come back, you're the bitter a-hole and you risk losing future business.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
You can't fault them for not seeing things the way you are looking at this.
Their priority is selling the house - not feeding your family.

Perhaps they never had the chance to offer you the work? It sounds like they had little to do with hiring the other guy.

It's really hard to say without knowing all the details. Sure, it would tick me off a bit, but what's the point in "letting them know about it" if you are done with them anyway?
when you hire a realtor everything is disclosed in a contract. it was the kids that removed all the old furniture. so yes they were well aware of the realtor's intention. I don't see the realtor payin out of his pocket 500 to a thousand dollars out of their commission.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2015, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster View Post

John
John, you shouldn't have taken this approach in the first place. The old saying of "You cut off your nose to spite your face." is appropriate.

Since you're dealing with all new players, including a realtor that's helping to call the shots, you should have simply done the professional, unemotional thing and contacted them with, "I see someone else handled the landscaping work. Would you still like the lawn mowed?".

Instead, you went the emotional, jilted route and now have avoided getting some valuable face time with the real estate agent and the new home buyer.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[ QUOTE=PaperCutter;5209109]Parents are gone. The kids don't know you, don't know your skillset, don't owe you jack, and regardless they hired a realtor to get the house ready. Realtors are going to use their people first, it's what realtors do. Don't like it? Network with realtors and become their guy.

Let it go. You come back, you're the bitter a-hole and you risk losing future business.[/QUOTE]yes these kids know me as they have been in contact with me over the years. These kids are not much older than me and were teenagers when I was working there. I also question where do you see future work? mY beef would not be with a new owner. the people that by these houses, rarely have garners because in their culture it is frivolous to have that luxury. they are paying for these houses well over a million and change and cannot afford the luxury Of somebody to maintain the property.

better maybe. But in a hole nobetter maybe. But in a hole no
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No matter how "righteous" you think your anger is, they're not going to see it your way. Something happens to my mom and we need to list her house for sale, you think I'm hunting down the kid who's been doing her yard all these years for a cleanup bid? Heck no, I'm telling the realtor to get the job done and send me the bill. That's why I'm paying a realtor her percentage, to handle everything standing between me and selling the house.

These people lost a parent and are dealing with that and closing out the estate on top of their regular lives, and they're supposed to be worried about hurting the feelings of every vendor who's come through that property? Come on. Apologize "if my tone came off wrong", wish them the best, and move on.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Real Estate agents normally have people that they personally use to get the lawn up to par so to say, when trying to get a house to sale. So it might be best to contact the real estate agency and see how you could be their go to guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster View Post
I am so pissed off why this client doesn't understand why I would think they got somebody else to maintain the property.

I've been in the trade for over 30 plus years. I am a licensed state c-27 contractor.

Many of the residential clients that I still do are legacy clients of my father. Many of these clients watch me grow up to, from a 10 year kid getting yelled at by his dad to get out of the truck and get to work to now. A lot of those legacy clients are dying and I sometimes get the new owners and sometimes don't. Heck that's part of the business.

What I'm questioning is what to do with this one. This is the third time that has happened but the first time that I ever got a response.

This client's parents i have been working for the mother and father the past 22 years. Recently, the mother passed away and the kids decided to keep the house for a bit and wait till the spring to sell it.

I already new that I was eventually going to loose this client sometime this month as the house was being put up for sale. These houses don't last long on the market. Maybe less than 2 weeks.

I come to do my first visit and come to find the house all the bushes trimmed and mulched all over the place. I was real disappointed with what i saw because lets face it, maintenance is just surviving. The real money to be made is the extra services. Nobody from the family or the relator called me to do a bid or even asked if I did this stuff.

What the real estate did was stage the house to prepare the house for market. They bring rented furniture to make the house more appealing and of course the outside of the house.

I am pissed at them for not even giving me the opportunity to bid or do the work to spiffy up the place. I decided that let them worry about cutting the grass .

I wrote the son a quick email and said:

Mr. -------

It appears that somebody else is doing the landscape maintenance at your parents house. I have stopped service for this reason.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve your family over the years. Best of luck with the sale of your parents house. I'm sure it will sell fast.

Well I was surprised he responded to my email like this:

John,
I don't know why you think we got somebody else. The realtor had somebody come in and do the work. I had told you the house was being put up for sale on March 8th. and to continue service until i tell you the house sold.

Any way good luck.

I want to respond back so much, but my instinct tells me not to and drop it.
What i really wanted to tell him was don't you realize that after working for your parents for such a long time, you go and allow somebody else to come in and do the work. Work that I am well qualified to do. I don't make my money by maintenance but make money by doing extra services. This is something that you should of taken into consideration. You could of shown some respect and loyalty to me. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if somebody impeded on your ability to earn a wage either.

John
Old 03-06-2015, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Life goes on customers come and go.
No sense in being worked up over a small clean up and mulch job.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

John: First do not take this or any other situation like this ever again personally. Second, Once the son put the house up for sale your maintenance services for better or worse were Terminated. Thirdly, Regardless how long you have had any customer or what kind of relationship exist during said relationship situations and things change very quickly and you just need to remember this situation in the future. Don't squander any more Emotional Capital on this matter or similar ever again in the future. Move forward and just remember you don't have to go through this again, if you choose.
easy-lift guy