Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Door to Door uniform

So I am planning to have some guys do door to door just to ask if customers if they are interested in receiving a lawn quote. Then I will contact them.

It will still probably be in the 40s or low 50s here in late march when I start this so the guys will most likely need a jacket to wear. I really dont want to give them a $50 jacket on their first day with us not knowing if they are even going to last more than a day?

Would it be ok if I just tell them to wear something nice? I have no idea?

Also as far as pay I was going to offer minimum wage $8/hr plus maybe $2 for each lead they get? What do you think about this?
Old 01-01-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you obtained the proper licensing for door to door solicitation in the areas you will be soliciting?
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Trailer thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 01-01-2014, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dont need that round here
Old 01-01-2014, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
So I am planning to have some guys do door to door just to ask if customers if they are interested in receiving a lawn quote. Then I will contact them.

It will still probably be in the 40s or low 50s here in late march when I start this so the guys will most likely need a jacket to wear. I really dont want to give them a $50 jacket on their first day with us not knowing if they are even going to last more than a day?

Would it be ok if I just tell them to wear something nice? I have no idea?

Also as far as pay I was going to offer minimum wage $8/hr plus maybe $2 for each lead they get? What do you think about this?
Why are you sending out an inexperienced untrained new employee that you don't expect to last one day to make first contact with a potential client on the employee's first day and last day with your company? That is a recipe for disaster.

You are going to do more harm than good for your image. The employee you send out to make your company's first impression should be well trained and a shining example of what your company has to offer…knowledgable and experience professionals who are prepared to handle any job. By sending out the $8 an hour new guy, you are telling everyone this employee meets that they are not important enough to meet with anyone besides the new guy who knows nothing.

How do you envision the conversation going?

I envision something like this…

New Guy: Hi sir. I'm from XYZ Lawns. Would you be interested in a lawn service quote?

Homeowner: Sure. How much would you charge?

New Guy: I have no idea. Today is my first day and they just sent me out to knock on doors and if you are interested I'm just suppose to write your name and contact info down on this pad and give it to the boss at the end of the day…that is if I don't freeze out here…Would you believe that the boss is so cheap that he wouldn't even give me a company jacket to wear? He didn't teach me how to price lawns so What is your first name?

Homeowner: Never mind, I'm not interested.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for your opinion but looks like you are more interested in giving smart azz answers than actually answering the question and making sure Im licensed. Dont bother responding if your not going to try and answer the question.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I really dont want to give them a $50 jacket on their first day with us not knowing if they are even going to last more than a day?
That's not a question. That's a statement with incorrect punctuation.

Quote:
Would it be ok if I just tell them to wear something nice?
If I had someone representing my company, I'd want them to look like part of my company. I'd want them to wear my company's uniform so to answer your question…No, it would not be OK with me if they were out of uniform. But to really answer your question…if that is what you want to tell your employee to wear then it must be ok because as the boss it is your job to tell your employees what type of dress is appropriate.

Quote:
I have no idea?
Again, this is a statement with incorrect punctuation.

Quote:
Also as far as pay I was going to offer minimum wage $8/hr plus maybe $2 for each lead they get?
Again, this is a statement with incorrect punctuation.

Quote:
What do you think about this?
I wouldn't do it (see my other posts).
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 01-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Sponsor

Just for the sake of discussion. What training would you provide your employees to make first contact with new prospects?. Will your employees making first contact also be the same ones performing maintenance services in the Spring,Summer?. What do you predict your ROI will or could be for this marketing campaign?
easy-lift guy
Old 01-01-2014, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Easylift- I am just looking to add this to my marketing campaign, I am already doing quite a bit of other things.

I had planned on hiring new guys to do this. I have no intention of hiring sales people to do this as I am thinking it would cost quite a bit more money. I was going to just train them what services we offer, no technical training. There only job is to get leads, then I or my assistant will take it from there. I did not invent this, I have seen this done before but I have not tried it yet.

As far as ROI, as long as I can get a new customer for every $75 I spend,I think I'm doing well. At $8/hr that would be 1 sale per day per guy.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Why are you sending out an inexperienced untrained new employee that you don't expect to last one day to make first contact with a potential client on the employee's first day and last day with your company? That is a recipe for disaster.

You are going to do more harm than good for your image. The employee you send out to make your company's first impression should be well trained and a shining example of what your company has to offer…knowledgable and experience professionals who are prepared to handle any job. By sending out the $8 an hour new guy, you are telling everyone this employee meets that they are not important enough to meet with anyone besides the new guy who knows nothing.

How do you envision the conversation going?

I envision something like this…

New Guy: Hi sir. I'm from XYZ Lawns. Would you be interested in a lawn service quote?

Homeowner: Sure. How much would you charge?

New Guy: I have no idea. Today is my first day and they just sent me out to knock on doors and if you are interested I'm just suppose to write your name and contact info down on this pad and give it to the boss at the end of the day…that is if I don't freeze out here…Would you believe that the boss is so cheap that he wouldn't even give me a company jacket to wear? He didn't teach me how to price lawns so What is your first name?

Homeowner: Never mind, I'm not interested.

Actually this IS the right way. You knock on the door and schedule an appointment to have someone come give you an estimate.

That is also how you can get around the no soliciting sign b/s. Which doesn't stop us anyway. Any business needs to advertise and you're right are protected under free speech for corporations
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Easylift- I am just looking to add this to my marketing campaign, I am already doing quite a bit of other things.

I had planned on hiring new guys to do this. I have no intention of hiring sales people to do this as I am thinking it would cost quite a bit more money. I was going to just train them what services we offer, no technical training. There only job is to get leads, then I or my assistant will take it from there. I did not invent this, I have seen this done before but I have not tried it yet.

As far as ROI, as long as I can get a new customer for every $75 I spend,I think I'm doing well. At $8/hr that would be 1 sale per day per guy.
I use sales people. Espically in the off season. Pay minimum plus commission
Posted via Mobile Device