Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Where do you find good employees?

Guys,

Where do you find good employees, we need five foreman to run crews. Craigslist charges you for each add now, and most of the individuals that apply are not qualified. We are trying landscapejobs.com but not getting much response either.

Who has suggestions? Does anyone use Monster?

Peninsula Landscaping Inc.
www.peninsulalawn.com
Old 03-09-2015, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why did you lose 5 foremen?

Why are none of your crew able to be promoted to foreman?

What are you doing to attract and retain good employees?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I looked at your website. Page for employment you stated that crew leaders and crew men always needed.

That is bad. It conveys a message that your business is a revolving door. People do not stay there long and that indicates it's not a good business to work for.

When I was younger the Auto Dealerships that always were advertising for mechanics were bad places to work. They had a high turn over. The great shops to work at never advertised. This was back in the day before the internet and people used the daily newspapers to find employment.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my area there are numerous job listings for lawn and landscape. A few are claiming year round work. The other are not.

If quality people can get hired working for a Co. working more regular year round hours...why would they chase a job such as this...? The simple law of supply and demand kicks in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Because that year round job could be low pay, no advancement, bad culture, bad work ethics forcing him to work more, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2015, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

this thread again?

you don't find good employees….you just find ones you can deal with.
there are too many companies/competition out there and too few workers willing to do the work and not strike it out on their own. Your good employees are your competition.

No one wants to start at the bottom, everyone thinks they know how to do it better, they all think the are worth more than they are and cannot be convinced (no matter how true it may be) that making $18/hr is better than the trifling little business that they struggle at because as zoo as they buy that walker mower or that better truck POOF they are going to make it big time!

You see "working at a landscaping company" doesn't get you chicks…. "I own my own business" does.
It's about prestige.

I think it's funny how many people don't think they need to learn the profession, but have so dang many basic starting out questions…and yet revile at the thought of working for someone else to learn the ropes.

Running a Landscape company isn't "having a truck and mower and a few dozen customers". But too many people don't want to admit that.

So, there's your answer, where are all the good workers? They are starting up their own endeavors every year.
The ones who don't want to, are what you are left with. 1 in maybe 100 of them is decent crew lead.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

^^^… all true.

This is just my perspective and my take on this...and this has been brought up before. Hire prior convicted felons who have not committed violent crimes. Since the hiring potential is more limited for those with hard misdemeanors or soft felonies....they will be less likely to get hired in retail or other service industry jobs with benefits etc. Then again these folks will want to go out in their own since their employment options are more limited.

Since my employee standards are not realistic...my Co. will never grow beyond a family run business [aka solo].
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2015, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
^^^… all true.

This is just my perspective and my take on this...and this has been brought up before. Hire prior convicted felons who have not committed violent crimes. Since the hiring potential is more limited for those with hard misdemeanors or soft felonies....they will be less likely to get hired in retail or other service industry jobs with benefits etc. Then again these folks will want to go out in their own since their employment options are more limited.

Since my employee standards are not realistic...my Co. will never grow beyond a family run business [aka solo].
Posted via Mobile Device

The problem is...your "settling" for this. Hiring a felon? He was a felon for a reason and will most likely keep up with the same activities that got him that record. Hiring and training felons I can only imagine would be one difficult task in itself.

Throw an ad out there and advertise your looking for someone. You'd be amazed at what you'd get.

You make up the ad and they apply. If they aren't interested, they won't apply. If you want PT, put PT in your ad, same with full time. I read a lot of threads on here that show how much some people overthink the hiring process.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you. But the fact remains there are better jobs out there that will keep a person busy year round with a benefit package if you can pass a drug test, criminal background and clean driving record. I'm in the market for those myself.

I have said it before I would not work this kind of business for someone else. Any new clients this year need to agree to my full meal deal packages [high performing lawn] on my terms or they can find some other Co. and pick apart their program.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2015, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I repectfully disagree with some guys here thinking being a employee of a landscaping company won't get you chicks or is a example of being a low totem pole job or something. There's alot of crappy jobs out there and lawncare and landscaping isn't anywhere near the bottom.
Alot of my guys love this work and have been with me from 3-10 years now. Granted we are a small 5- 6 man show and I work with them everyday. But as a employer before you ask the question were to find good help is, ask yourself the question what am I going to do to keep my employees around after I find them? Some areas might be harder to retain guys but I think alot of us needs to really understand what keeps the crew members happy.
Tips I found that have been working well for me, Comunication and good relationships with your guys are everything, Train them well, let them be involved as much as possible, keep them informed and keep them knowing whats going on week to week with as much detail as possible. Treat them equally. Respect them, pay them as well as you can. Thank them. Don't get involved with negative but keep things positive. Be a good leader and make clear decisions. Keep up with your equiptment. And also have some fun every now and then. I really changed my ways in the past few years and the guys morale has been higher each year and it seems like they really enjoy the job.