Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Annual fertilization programs

Hello,

I have a couple of lawn service customers who are asking us to handle their lawn fertilization. Would anyone be willing to share how they set up their annual fertilization programs?

I am considering applying atrazine to both of these lawns which are both St. Augustine. I know not to apply atrazine in the dead heat of summer. What is the earliest (month) and latest (month) of the year atrazine can be safely applied? Keep in mind that I am in South Louisiana.

Also, do you include tree and/or shrub fertilization? Do you typically do all the trees on the property (assuming they are worth fertilizing) or only the trees near the house or customer option?

Thanks.

Equipment:
2006 Chevrolet 1500 crew cab truck
2006 Big Tex 6'x16' open trailer
2011 Toro Z500 52" deck ZTR
2006 Toro Z400 48" deck ZTR with mulch baffles
2010 Toro personal pace mower
2011 Echo string trimmer
2009 Echo string trimmer
2009 Echo PAS split shaft (edger, trimmer, pruner)
2-2011 Echo PB260T backpack blowers
3-2009 Echo handheld blowers
2011 Load Trail 6x10 dump trailer
Miscellneous shovels, rakes, and other outdoor tools
Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchoppers View Post
Hello,

I have a couple of lawn service customers who are asking us to handle their lawn fertilization. Would anyone be willing to share how they set up their annual fertilization programs?

I am considering applying atrazine to both of these lawns which are both St. Augustine. I know not to apply atrazine in the dead heat of summer. What is the earliest (month) and latest (month) of the year atrazine can be safely applied? Keep in mind that I am in South Louisiana.

Also, do you include tree and/or shrub fertilization? Do you typically do all the trees on the property (assuming they are worth fertilizing) or only the trees near the house or customer option?

Thanks.

Greenchopper

Last time I was in Thibodaux they were growing Sugar cane for the last 150 years and had yet to apply any fertilizer. I am thinking you won't need a whole lot fertilizer in that Gumbo Mud. Atrazine Weed and Feed should be applied in late spring for summer weeds and early fall for winter weeds. But for a full program contact your county extension agent.

Oh yes Thibodaux, Piere Part, Lake Verette, the Spillway and Duck Lake. I got to say Thibodaux is one place where which side of the spillway matters when it comes to crawfish. Laissez les bon temps rouler

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.