Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Snapper Hi-Vac Kaw FJ180V Owners

What is your procedure for starting this mower in cooler temps(45 degrees and under)? Mine finally starts after about thirty or forty pulls. After this first start, I don't have any more problems starting. Mower is only a year old and not that many hours on it. I must be doing something wrong. I would appreciate any helpful information. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Only 37 pulls to get it started this morining. It performed great the rest of the day.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

15 pulls this morning.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just maybe the flywheel sheer key went......it happens a lot on the Kaw. No easy way to check that except pull the flywheel. Got three won't buy any more. The recoil on these units are junk.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You should post it in Mechanics and Repair section. You have not put in anything that you have done to it. I am not familiar with the bigger engine carb, I notice they don't need to be prime and just pull start. There must be some mechanism that pull the gas in without priming and it is not working. Sound like trying to start the small hand held without choke and priming that will take lots of pull the get the gas to the carb. After the first time, then you can start easy for the rest of the day.

Are you into photography? 85mm 1.4 would be a very nice portrait lens. I used to be a wedding and product photographer for a while in the 90s. I have a 85mm 1.8 that is very nice!!!

Last edited by Alan0354; 12-03-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

It starts on the first or second pull after that first start of the day. I really like the mower, just wish it would start faster in cooler weather. I have to agree with what was said about the recoil. Thanks for the replies.

Alan0354, photography is my mine line of work. The Nikon 85 one four is one of my favorite lenses, as well as the 300 two eight.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85mm/1.4 View Post
It starts on the first or second pull after that first start of the day. I really like the mower, just wish it would start faster in cooler weather. I have to agree with what was said about the recoil. Thanks for the replies.

Alan0354, photography is my mine line of work. The Nikon 85 one four is one of my favorite lenses, as well as the 300 two eight.
I have the Nikon film camera set for work. Funny I am not an LCO and I come here to talk about what is the best equipment and analyse to death. I have good photography equipments, I have Hasselblad with 50, 80 and 180mm CF lens, but when I went out for a job, it's the work horse no nonsense Nikon F100 and N80 bodies. I don't even use big lens. Just the 24-135 3.5-5.6 on the F100 and 28-85 3.5-4.5 cheapy Nikkor lens. Only 50mm 1.4 for first dance because of the fast action and low light. Expensive toys all stay home just for the studio shots.

Story is, when you work, you really don't care about what equipment, you worry about the basics like getting the job done. I think people here really treat their lawn equipments like toys......Like my Hasselblad set that cost an arm and a leg and do very very little. It's the Nikon set that really got kick around. All I care was I can take the shot fast, capture the moment and zoom to get a good frame. Never even worry about the lens quality. At the time, I tested both Cannon and Minolta, I think the Nikon auto focus is so much faster in low light than the other two there was no comparison. Don't know the new ones anymore, I don't even have the digital SLRs.

Last edited by Alan0354; 12-04-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I have the Nikon film camera set for work. Funny I am not an LCO and I come here to talk about what is the best equipment and analyse to death. I have good photography equipments, I have Hasselblad with 50, 80 and 180mm CF lens, but when I went out for a job, it's the work horse no nonsense Nikon F100 and N80 bodies. I don't even use big lens. Just the 24-135 3.5-5.6 on the F100 and 28-85 3.5-4.5 cheapy Nikkor lens. Only 50mm 1.4 for first dance because of the fast action and low light. Expensive toys all stay home just for the studio shots.

Story is, when you work, you really don't care about what equipment, you worry about the basics like getting the job done. I think people here really treat their lawn equipments like toys......Like my Hasselblad set that cost an arm and a leg and do very very little. It's the Nikon set that really got kick around. All I care was I can take the shot fast, capture the moment and zoom to get a good frame. Never even worry about the lens quality. At the time, I tested both Cannon and Minolta, I think the Nikon auto focus is so much faster in low light than the other two there was no comparison. Don't know the new ones anymore, I don't even have the digital SLRs.
"photography is my mine (main) line of work". Alan0354, that is some very nice camera equipment. The fact that you do not own any digital bodies, lndicates to me that you are a "real" photographer, unlike some who could not take a decent shot if it were not for digital cams and the lcd screen.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85mm/1.4 View Post
"photography is my mine (main) line of work". Alan0354, that is some very nice camera equipment. The fact that you do not own any digital bodies, lndicates to me that you are a "real" photographer, unlike some who could not take a decent shot if it were not for digital cams and the lcd screen.
I never get use to the LCD screen business, alway find view finder much faster and easier. Actually, my interest is in lawn equipment and don't want to spend the money on a new camera yet. For one thing, my old lens don't quite work because the focal length equivalent is all 1.4X, my shortest is 24mm, and it become 30mm equivalent on the new digital SLR, not much of a wide angle lens. Last check the selection of lens is still not good. I can wait, no problem.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A splash of gas in the carb and it will start first pull.

I myself have a bunch of Nikon gear...too much to list.
Posted via Mobile Device