Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While I started on a BH now that I have an mini x I hat going back to a BH I do agree that a BH or TLB is the best multifunction piece of equipment but I think you would miss your setup now and maybe you should just think about a setup that allows you to haul both pieces so you always have what you need
Old 12-05-2010, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had an offer on the ASV last night so I went to go check one out today. The versatility would be nice and throw in being able to mow with it has really got me thinking. As you all know I'm a flob dobbing wanabe that just hacks up his yard. I've only put 300 hours on the ASV in 3 years. That cab looks like a Laurin or the Boxer. Very expensive cabs. $9k if I remember right I think heat and A/C is $12k. These machines are very popular around here. I know of over 12 in a 35 mile radius. Some are owned by contractors but most seem to be owned by homeowners/farmers. The local gas company has got a few of them now also.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got my ass spanked when I going LS and proclaimed the benefits of the TLBs. I run 2 Kubota L48s which are a little bit bigger than the JD 110 (and much better IMO). The TLBs are very functional for sure.....they can do 70% +/- of the functional jobs I do annd if you need a wheeled machine.....going the TLB route vs. standard tractor is the way to go. While this is not the debate of CTL SSL vs. TLB, a TLB is very cost effective at alot of jobs either a skid or minX could do. Although I do own and live on a farm, I do run a landscape cinstruction company.....and the Kubota L48 is what made my company blossom from using farm equipment to going full guns and owning many peices of equipmet. I keep the KX121 paired with 1 L48 for most jobs, and keep the other L48 ready for farm use and the times when I have 2 jobs going. For example, I have to go do another gas line but my KX121 isn't available for a couple day: go get L48 and start the prep and all of the bulk digging until the KX is free. Mowing, plowing, forks, and every other attachment is key to my operation and the TLBs accomodate all. I cannot say enough positive about the TLBs, while acknowldeging their limitations.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya the efficiency of the mini ex can't be beat, thought about the all in one machine tlb but after a year with the mini gotta have it! Rebuilding stone walls has never been easier! Now I need to upgrade the bucket loader to keep up with the mini.. Tried NH 185 skidsteer, Jd 326, nice machines but wouldn't want to be in one all day.. Tried the Kubota L57 and Deere 4720 deere seemed a little tougher, user friendly, like the hydraulic set up vs. Kubota, I'm realizing these tractors are just not construction grade, but now I just heard from the JD dealer that the 110 has the cab option this year, haven't got prices on em yet.. Tried the Kubota l48, great machine, but no cab sick of stings, cold, stonedust, exhaust etc.,ideal set up - tlb, compact tractor, mini ex.. Compact loaders like the Cat 902? would be a good edition.

Got to try a JD110, I remember the Kubota L48 was very heavy duty for its size but seemed a bit slugy if you had jobs covering larger areas, whereas compact tractor would move faster.. Depends on the job, both would have their place .
Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate all your comments. I am definitely interested in this machine, but am realizing, as most of you have said, that what I have now is likely more efficient than the 110. In the next year or so we plan on purchasing a larger acreage property/farm and I think this tractor will be the ticket for maintaining the property, plus being a nice addition to the business. There's one for sale not too far from me with about 1000hrs and a cab for 33000. I thought that was fairly reasonable considering a Deere 4520 with a cab and loader will be 30-40k as well. Meanwhile this 110 is actually built for loader work. I still really like the sounds of this tractor, but will probably wait a bit for the purchase
Old 12-05-2010, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1 thing to consdier is the concept of decreasing marginal utility which is the ecominc term for measuring the overall incremental value of the purchase. The 2nd big mac isn't as tasty or useful as the second and therefor is worth less. While the TLB is no match for the CTL/SSL miniX combo, it is more valuable than buying another CTL/SSL miniX combo (if you don't have the volume of work to keep both sets full busy) and will provide a capability that the other machines don't have. It allows you some or most of the capability of the CTL/SSL miniX combo but at a signifcantly lower price.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I've enjoyed this discussion. I have a B 26 Kubota(TLB) and would love to pair it up with a mini ex. I do a lot of work building inground swimming pools so the worksites can be real tight at times. to avoid having to take 2 trucks to a jobsite I take the B 26 even tho it's a little small for the job(I also have a takeuchi 140 trackloader) and pairing it with a ZTS type mini ex would be helpful. If I took the backhoe off the B 26 and added my boxblade I think I could put a Kubota U 35 on the trailer with it. I have a 10 ton deckover w/18ft deck and a 5ft dovetail. the U35 is an 8000lb machine and the B 26 weighs in at 4000lbs. any thoughts and has anybody used a U35. I really like the 121 but it may be a bit too big
Old 12-05-2010, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IOILYOUIN posts here and just traded his U35 in. He would have a say I bet.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i like the TLB's and have no intention of using skid steers any more than i have to. my business was built using the Bobcat B300 tlb and it is able to do 90% of the jobs i do in both a timely and efficient manner. tha added benifit of the 110 being able to use 3 point attachments would be nice. as far as a mini being much better digger i disagree. from my experiance renting a few diffrent brands mini's dig faster but with much less breakout power. the tlb stays planted much better. and digging a trench i don't see how a mini would be faster. digging is digging. i move the machine with the busket a mini with the levers. it still has to move. there are times when i rent the mini's or even less the skid steers. definitly not enough to warrent buying one. next machine will be a full sized tlb.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 12-05-2010, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
i like the TLB's and have no intention of using skid steers any more than i have to. my business was built using the Bobcat B300 tlb and it is able to do 90% of the jobs i do in both a timely and efficient manner. tha added benifit of the 110 being able to use 3 point attachments would be nice. as far as a mini being much better digger i disagree. from my experiance renting a few diffrent brands mini's dig faster but with much less breakout power. the tlb stays planted much better. and digging a trench i don't see how a mini would be faster. digging is digging. i move the machine with the busket a mini with the levers. it still has to move. there are times when i rent the mini's or even less the skid steers. definitly not enough to warrent buying one. next machine will be a full sized tlb.
I also started with a TLB but now its just a back up/ loader/ 3point machine and theres no way I would want to go back to not having a mini x. Given two similiar sized machines a good operator on a mini x will out trench a good operator on a TLB anyday especially if the grounds a little soft. With a mini x you can track forward while swinging so when you get back to the trench you can go straight to digging instead of having to lift the stabilizers pushforward drop stabilizers and then dig and if its soft then you everytime you push forward you can put more weight on the front tires and if its soft enough they will just keep sinking in. I will agree thought its hard to get used to the lack of stability the TLBs have when digging with a mini x but its worth the trade for the reach