Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2014, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag tiger cat problems!

Hey Everyone!!

A little advice needed, i have a 2012 scag tiger cat. Recently when going to start it does nothing! when i turn key from off to start position i do hear a click at the back of the motor, im guessing thats the solenoid for the carb. Turn the key over and nothing happens. Checked the battery and it is good to go, double checked connections everyone and still nothing. Took a small piece of wire and grounded out each safety switch one at a time to see if the problem was with the switches, still nothing! Tried it one last time cuz i was getting stumped and it happened to crank when i grounded out the parking brake. Started up fine rest of the day, got to the last account and it happened again. Tried the safety switches again and still nothing. Then took a set of jumper cables hooked to another truck grounded it on the mower frame and touched it to the hook for the positive wire thinking it would engage the starter which they usually will do but it did not engage. Got mad put the seat backed down and cranked one more time and BAM it fired. Started to finish up the last account and it died mid cut which it has not done since this problem started, hit the key and fired right back up! What in the world is the problem? i dont think its the charging system because battery stays charged up. I read that the ignitions may go bad or the relays for them, anyway to test the ignition. Any advice is much appreciated! I would love to fix this without going to the dealer cuz there is no telling how long they will have it and i basically need it daily!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me you have a bad battery and or wire harness ground, Remove them and clean then try it again......

If this is a solenoid shift starter, You have to short the small wire solenoid post to the larger positive battery post on the solenoid to crank it over......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply, i put a brand new battery in it and it still wouldnt turn over. Ended up having my old battery tested and it was fine all along so i returned the battery and put my old one back in. I checked the ground for the battery which is bolted to the motor and thru the frame and its tight as can be.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
wire harness ground

^^^^^^^ Check/clean the wire harness ground.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can understand the problem, it being a Scag and all.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

EVERY SINGLE scag I have ever worked on has had fuse holder problems. The two fuse holders (right next the seat) for the 2 main fuses corrode and kill fuses for some dumb reason. Brand new ones, with fuses that look like they had 5000 hours on them.

All were replaced with marine-grade holders with rubber caps. Now they are problem-free.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Fuses are good checked them earlier, ill have to take a look around for the wire harness ground i dont recall noticing it anywhere.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with my scag , very frustrating to get to the job and it wont turn over. Mine seemed to be in the seat switch, I would sit in the seat and while turning the key I would shift side to side and bingo it would start right up . I probably need to replace the switch, but it now rarely happens.