Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

x360 jd lawnmower carb problem

I purchased a 2008 x360 jd lawn mower last fall from a guy that purchased this machine new. he used this mower 17 hours and put it in his basement and hired his lawn work done ever since. I was able to get this mower very reasonable. I have used it a hour and a half and the governor lopes at all throttle positions. I have used fresh gas and carburetor treatment. I think this problem may be caused by epa and no carburetor adjustment that I can find. is my only solution to find a way to run mower with choke partially on? this mower runs perfect when I hold the choke slightly on.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No, what you're experiencing is typical behavior I have dealt with when it comes to machines that have sat for years.

You could try pulling the carb and giving it a thorough cleaning, then fill the tank with 93 premium super and run it WOT and nothing but WOT and if you use the mower on a regular basis and keep running high grade fuel through it might eventually smooth out. If you're pulling the carb order up the gasket first.
I would replace the fuel lines and filter as well as cleaning everything real good, new air filter, oil change and filter.

You could also drop a new carburetor on there, thou I think you'll be out $100+
And you could take it to the JD dealer but that's likely going to get really expensive.
Even then she might never run quite right, but with TLC and a good cleaning and super fuel you can get it to run a lot smoother.
That's been my experience, you get what you pay for but all things considered these deals don't work out too bad in the end.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

herler, thanks for your info. it is raining here now, but I will give your advice a try when the weather clears up.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Your engine is most likely running too lean, due to crap clogging up the jets in the carburetor. Choking gives it less air, richening the mixture, making it run better.

If you are unsure how to take the carb apart and clean it, look up any number of youtube videos, and tackle it yourself. They are all basically the same on the inside, and are really easy to clean.

Also, these are low-compression engines that are designed to be run on 87 octane. 93 octane isn't higher quality gas, it just has better anti-knocking qualities for higher-compression engines. 87 actually explodes easier inside your engine, which would make it run better.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks craftsmanracer, I will try this carb cleaning as my first step