Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

School for Landscape?

Wat type of school shud you go to for a landscaping Business
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

You're probably going to get a variety of responses here. Do you plan on working for yourself, or do you want to work as an employee? If you're looking to work for someone else, you might look into a horticulture degree, or landscape architecture. For landscape architecture you'd go to a university. I can't speak for all schools, but it's a five year program at my college, and it's pretty tough to get into. You have to submit portfolios and all that bull...

Horticulture could be a four year degree at a university, or a two year degree at a technical school. Which one you would go to depends on you, and your situation. I personally hate school, so if I went the horticulture route, I'd probably go to a technical school.

If you want to work for yourself you really need a strong business background. So, if you're planning to go to school you should consider majoring in business. Again, that could be a university or technical school. Even if you don't major in business you should definitely take a few basic business courses if you're interested in starting, and running a business to help give you a foundation of knowledge to build off of.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started off with Ag business, then I switched to Turf Grass Managment, then finally stayed with Horticulture and thats what I recieved my degree in...it all really depends on what your school offers or depending on if your willing to travel to another surrounding university.....
Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayM View Post

If you want to work for yourself you really need a strong business background. So, if you're planning to go to school you should consider majoring in business. Again, that could be a university or technical school. Even if you don't major in business you should definitely take a few basic business courses if you're interested in starting, and running a business to help give you a foundation of knowledge to build off of.
I have to agree with this statement. I was fortunate enough to make the mistake of getting my BS in Business Mgmt with a minor in Human Resources before doing this which is what I really love.
Although having a degree in soil science/turf mgmt/horticulture would be nice...I would say I use my business degree more than I would them currently. Every year I get to know local guys who end up folding after a year or two because they do not understand simple business concepts. Even if you can not afford to take time off or just plain afford to get a degree in this....I would suggest in investing courses as you can such as Accounting, Marketing, Business Law, Communications......this will serve you well over the course of your career.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I would Agree I went to school for awhile for turf management and then switched to business. I majored in Business and minored in Accounting. I tell you I have used both of these more than anything I really got from the turf schooling.
2010 61" Scag TT ZTR W/Stripe kit/Mulch/Gators
2010 48" Scag TC ZTR W/Stripe kit/Mulch/Gators
2010 36" Scag WB W/Stripe kit/Mulch/Gators
2008 34" Gravely WB (Back up) w/Custom Stripe kit
2010 Stihl FS 110R Trimmer(x2)
2010 Stihl KM 130 Blower
2010 Stihl FC 110 Edger
2010 Stihl BR 600 BP Blower
2010 Stihl HS 86T Hedge Trimmer 30"
Tons of Landscaping Tools.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need a business degree to run a business. IMO, a degree in a field relevant to the work you are (will be) doing will be vastly superior. If you want to minor in business, then by all means knock yourself out.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You may want to see if your state's Dept. of Agriculture offers a Certified Landscape Professional program. Here in GA, they do. Upon completion, you'll be licensed with the state along with plumbers, electricians, HVAC techs, and any other tradesman.