search sponsored by:
Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Thread Tools   Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
MDLawn MDLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,284
As per NYSDMV website

I'm also not here to argue just posting what I have found. Its seems the magic number is any over 26k (single vehicle or combo) needs CDL. In new york there are 3 classes to cdl A,B,C.

1.1 - Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV)
You must have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to operate any of the following CMVs:

Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.

A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating
(GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more.

A vehicle designed to transport 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver) or a vehicle
defined as a bus under Article 19-A, Section 509-a of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law (VTL).

Any size vehicle that is used in the transportation of any material that requires hazardous
materials placards or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73.
Federal regulations through the Department of Homeland Security require a background check
and fingerprinting for the Hazardous Materials endorsement.

Drivers of the following vehicles that otherwise meet the definition of a CMV are exempt from the
CDL requirement:
A vehicle owned and controlled by a farmer that has a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs and is
used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm products within 150 miles of the farm

A vehicle primarily designed for purposes other than the transportation of persons or property
(commonly referred to as Special Purpose Commercial) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or less or,
if the GVWR is more than 26,000 lbs, not able to be operated at normal highway speeds

Fire and police vehicles engaged in emergency operations in New York State

Military vehicles or combination of vehicles operated by members of the armed forces

Personal vehicles (including rental vehicles up to 26,000 lbs GVWR) when operated strictly and
exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-commercial purposes

Last edited by MDLawn; 12-15-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM
newjerseylandscaping's Avatar
newjerseylandscaping newjerseylandscaping is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New jersey
Posts: 1,175
Looks intresting,
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Valk's Avatar
Valk Valk is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern KS
Posts: 2,722
Dang. After reading straight through all this...I NEED a beer.
~ cut it high ~ let it fly ~
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Page generated in 0.06802 seconds with 8 queries