Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how makes a dump trailer/mower trailer

looking for a dump trailer that has some type of two way gate so that i can use it as a dump trailer, but also as a trailer to haul mowers. And skid steer ramps aren't going to be good enough. I want an actual fold down gate that could also swing open to dump. And one make a trailer like that?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bri mar has the landscaper gate
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just my $.02 but why a dump trailer to haul the mowers carrying the extra weight of the dump trailer will be costly in the long run with gas mileage and wear and tear on the tow vehicle?

2013 Dodge Quad cab w/hemi
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Extened Cab
Toro ZMaster 400series
MTD PRO 48"
Kaufman 5x10 w/sides
Landscapers Trailer 12x6.5 w/side gate
Echo PAS multi tool
Various other Echo hand helds
Little Giant HPV Vac
Troy Bilt Horse RotoTiller
Honda Mini Cultivator
JD 170
Toro 21"
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

A guy I used to work for bought a brand new hawk dump trailer and had a custom landscape gate put on it for getting machines on easier. Horrible mistake. The gate had to be longer than normal to provide a good angle making it so heavy you could barley lift it. He had to buy gate lift helpers that mounted on the sides of the trailer. Then because there was a giant gate on the back of his dump trailer he had to have a hinge/pivot point installed very high on the gate so the bottom would open properly. When you pulled the bottom pins out so you could dump something the weight of the gate, awkward top hinge point, and the lift helpers would barley allow it to open so you had to get out and pull on the bottom on the gate which sucked. To make things worse it was a "power down" model so after finally getting your debris out of the trailer it occasionally got stuck up when the battery was low haha. It was pretty much fully disabled as a dump trailer and was never used to tow our mowers because he already had a landscape trailer.

I use the ramps that came with my Bri-mar trailer for my two exmark lazers. They work just fine, yeah they are a little bumpy going up, but who's lawn isnt bumpy these days? Sometime when its wet out the tires slip and my employee has to give me a push or vice versa. I carry a couple short 2x's that I set at the end of the ramp to make the inital "bump" onto the ramp smoother. They hide under the trailer when not in use and it dump perfectly with the barn doors.

You are definitely carrying extra weight for just hauling mowers. I like the versatility and don't always have time to go back to my shop to switch trailers depending on what kind of work I'm doing because often my schedule changes to meet customers needs.

facebook.com/jwslandscaping
Old 12-15-2010, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
A guy I used to work for bought a brand new hawk dump trailer and had a custom landscape gate put on it for getting machines on easier. Horrible mistake. The gate had to be longer than normal to provide a good angle making it so heavy you could barley lift it. He had to buy gate lift helpers that mounted on the sides of the trailer. Then because there was a giant gate on the back of his dump trailer he had to have a hinge/pivot point installed very high on the gate so the bottom would open properly. When you pulled the bottom pins out so you could dump something the weight of the gate, awkward top hinge point, and the lift helpers would barley allow it to open so you had to get out and pull on the bottom on the gate which sucked. To make things worse it was a "power down" model so after finally getting your debris out of the trailer it occasionally got stuck up when the battery was low haha. It was pretty much fully disabled as a dump trailer and was never used to tow our mowers because he already had a landscape trailer.

I use the ramps that came with my Bri-mar trailer for my two exmark lazers. They work just fine, yeah they are a little bumpy going up, but who's lawn isnt bumpy these days? Sometime when its wet out the tires slip and my employee has to give me a push or vice versa. I carry a couple short 2x's that I set at the end of the ramp to make the inital "bump" onto the ramp smoother. They hide under the trailer when not in use and it dump perfectly with the barn doors.

You are definitely carrying extra weight for just hauling mowers. I like the versatility and don't always have time to go back to my shop to switch trailers depending on what kind of work I'm doing because often my schedule changes to meet customers needs.

I use a dump trailer to haul my mowers but I have wood ramps I made and only have walk behinds and it works great. Tried the included ramps the the tires are too small on the mower and get stuck between the ramp slats. Not to mention those ramps are heavy. Definitely a lot of weight to haul around but those with enclosed trailers haul around a lot of weight with their 20ft trailers too. I also like the versatility. I was sold on the gravity down from day 1. Its a personal choice but I'd rather be stuck not going up that not coming down because of a dead battery. At least you can still drive it home when its down. I had a landscape trailer and a smaller dump and sold them to just get one trailer for space reasons. If I had the space I would have a dedicated mowing trailer though. I just want more landscape work so the dump was my choice. My routes are much tighter now so I'm not unloading and loading all day, just 3-4 times, which would be a pita with a dump trailer. If I had a Z I'd either use the ramps included or get some good aluminum ones.