Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Stubborn Winter Weeds

I have a couple of yards that have some bad patches of winter weeds.

Any info on winter spraying (Charlotte Area we get warm days occ).

Or just wait til spring......

Thanks for the info
Old 12-10-2010, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoddard8409 View Post
I have a couple of yards that have some bad patches of winter weeds.

Any info on winter spraying (Charlotte Area we get warm days occ).

Or just wait til spring......

Thanks for the info
Depends on what type of winter weeds they are, is the weed going to proliferate before it dies back? I'm guessing definitely, that's what plants do, but that doesn't necessary mean you'll have to treat. Find out exactly what the weed is (if you don't already know) check to see whats the best management practice, then if you have to spray, spray at the exact proper time or you'll be wasting time and money not to mention other possible impacts.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Winter weeds?

I have some - if I can clear the 12" of snow off the right area, I can find them petrified
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I sprayed one a couple weeks ago and although I got a great kill...another cropping of weeds came in and pissed on my parade.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2010, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snow here. I don't understand the Charlotte climate conditions--do you mean winter annuals? Broadleafs? Grassy? In what grass? TF? Bermuda? ST Aug? Zoysia? Is it overseeded?

Do you mean you forgot to spray in November? Unsuccessful treatment? New weeds came up from seed? Sprouted from roots or rhizomes?
Wild garlic? Henbit? Poa annua? Hairy cress? Chickweed?

Most weed sprays work only on the fast growing part of the weed--if its not growing--results will be very slow, if any.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Snow here. I don't understand the Charlotte climate conditions--do you mean winter annuals? Broadleafs? Grassy? In what grass? TF? Bermuda? ST Aug? Zoysia? Is it overseeded?

Do you mean you forgot to spray in November? Unsuccessful treatment? New weeds came up from seed? Sprouted from roots or rhizomes?
Wild garlic? Henbit? Poa annua? Hairy cress? Chickweed?

Most weed sprays work only on the fast growing part of the weed--if its not growing--results will be very slow, if any.
Man thats a lot of questions for a Saturday night.....

Last edited by cgaengineer; 12-11-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

CGA,
Boredom set in and I couldn't see the point of hitting the sack at 10:08. LOL! So why were you up at 11:30?

CGA is that for Computer Graphic Animation? Culver Girls Academy? Corn Growers Association?

Esters are usually recommended for cool weather--myself I am not convinced. Perhaps Speedzone, or some Quicksilver(works in 24 hours)(best for small weeds) would suit the OP's purposes. Use max rate and lots of surfactant to increase the power.

I don't know much about Bermuda, but I have heard that, if it is fully dormant, Roundup is the way to go. You need local advice.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
CGA,
Boredom set in and I couldn't see the point of hitting the sack at 10:08. LOL! So why were you up at 11:30?

CGA is that for Computer Graphic Animation? Culver Girls Academy? Corn Growers Association?

Esters are usually recommended for cool weather--myself I am not convinced. Perhaps Speedzone, or some Quicksilver(works in 24 hours)(best for small weeds) would suit the OP's purposes. Use max rate and lots of surfactant to increase the power.

I don't know much about Bermuda, but I have heard that, if it is fully dormant, Roundup is the way to go. You need local advice.
I had just left my neighbors house from a warm fire and a few drinks...

The C is for Chris...the GA is for Georgia.

Be careful spraying RU on what some folks consider dormant bermuda...I have yet to see this mythical state of bermuda around here...it may exist, but in all cases where I have heard or seen people using it, almost all resulted in dead circles come spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

you can spray winter weeds, but be aware that it may take weeks for the weeds to die. highs in the 30's have caused many plants to shut down and slow the absorption of AI.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I had just left my neighbors house from a warm fire and a few drinks...

The C is for Chris...the GA is for Georgia.

Be careful spraying RU on what some folks consider dormant bermuda...I have yet to see this mythical state of bermuda around here...it may exist, but in all cases where I have heard or seen people using it, almost all resulted in dead circles come spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Several years ago, I first heard about LCOs spraying glyphosate on dormant bermuda to kill off winter weeds. I decided that before I do this on my clients' lawns, I better test it-on my own. About 3 weeks after the bermuda turned brown, I sprayed a 4 x 4 foot patch. The weeds died in about 2 weeks, but the grass was not "completely" dormant. I noticed that the 1/2" of grass shoot closest to the ground had browned out within the patch, but not outside the patch. I sprayed a separate 4 x 4 patch towards the middle/end of January, at which time there was NO green shoot at all (those weeds also died out in time--mainly poa annua). Fast forward to late April........
The entire lawn came in fine, even the patch where I initially sprayed in December. That first test patch however took a little longer to fully green up, but by late May matched the rest of the lawn. I believe the key is to make sure the bermuda is absolutely dormant prior to an initial spray. Soil temps must be in the upper 30's or lower. This is just IMHO.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com