Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Lawn Works LLC View Post
That picture was simply to show you the makeup of a dovetail for a box truck. Since you thought I aparently wanted you to slide all of your equipment up a 2 and a half foot god damn ramp.

I bet you that truck with the dump bed just sits there because you insist on throwing everything on the trailer instead of using the equipment that you already have.

sorry for the harsh reply. But when you make comments like the salesman was licking his lips when he saw you comming its going to piss anyone off. Especially since I wouldn't use a uhaul for a damn landscaping truck to begin with.

And I was simply trying to broaden your thinking about box trucks. After all I see isuzu's with dovetails in nice shape for around 7000 all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
"Since you thought I aparently wanted you to slide all of your equipment up a 2 and a half foot god damn ramp."- I'm not quite following... "slide??"

"I bet you that truck with the dump bed just sits there because you insist on throwing everything on the trailer instead of using the equipment that you already have." - again not following, but I tow a trailer with my equipment on it and throw clippings and debris in the dump bed if that's what you're getting at?

"And I was simply trying to broaden your thinking about box trucks." - I've thought about box trucks, in depth, before today, and decided that they were a ridiculous idea long before you mentioned it. Don't feel bad, I just don't need a broader way of thinking about box trucks, as I've thought very broadly about them over the last 14 years.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 12-13-2010, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That picture was simply to show you the makeup of a dovetail for a box truck. Since you thought I aparently wanted you to slide all of your equipment up a 2 and a half foot god damn ramp.

I bet you that truck with the dump bed just sits there because you insist on throwing everything on the trailer instead of using the equipment that you already have.

sorry for the harsh reply. But when you make comments like the salesman was licking his lips when he saw you comming its going to piss anyone off. Especially since I wouldn't use a uhaul for a damn landscaping truck to begin with.

And I was simply trying to broaden your thinking about box trucks. After all I see isuzu's with dovetails in nice shape for around 7000 all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlBR600 View Post
Basically enclosed trailers are a waste of money, unless you want to keep your equipment outside or you dont have a garage. They cost a lot more, weigh more, less visibility, cant haul debris and you less gas milage= more money overall. And if you use your equipment in the rain and park it in the trailer its going to stay wet because theres no airflow or sunlight to evaporate the water.
THAT'S what I was asking, and that was my theory. Thank you br600! but have you tried an enclosed and found that to be true? or are you theorizing like me? my biggest need is to keep my granular chemical dry as well as my pruning gear.
I will most likely just get the biggest open trailer I can fit in my garage.

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

Old 12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had the same question about whether to go with an open or closed trailer. I have an open trailer right now, but I need to get a larger trailer for next year. A friend of mine that ran a lawn company swears by the open trailers. He said that the extra gas alone that you spend pulling an enclosed trailer is not worth it.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFS View Post
I have had the same question about whether to go with an open or closed trailer. I have an open trailer right now, but I need to get a larger trailer for next year. A friend of mine that ran a lawn company swears by the open trailers. He said that the extra gas alone that you spend pulling an enclosed trailer is not worth it.
that's odd 'cause I got a freind that swears enclosed are lighter than open, I'll call a trailer shop and ask which is heavier.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I called a trailer shop, and the salesman said the enclosed trailers are roughly 30% heavier than open trailers.
right now, when I leave my trailer and truck to go hand out fliers etc, I run a cable through all my small equipment and put the lock on both ends and through the pin chain on one of my ramp pins so the ramp cant open, but my trailer is pretty small.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No i have never owned an enclosed trailer. Im buying a new trailer in the spring and ive been researching every trailer possible. No matter what enclosed trailer you buy, even all aluminum, they will always be heavier than an open all steel. If i bought an enclosed i wouldnt be able to do fall cleanups, mulch, or pull it with my truck. I have all of my equipment locked on my open trailer already so it would be pretty difficult to steal anything other than some gas cans. In the sping i am buying a 7 x 14 all aluminum landscape trailer. $3,200 after taxes. It will last forever and only weighs 1,000 pounds.

2007 F-250 4x4 V10
8' Western Pro Plus Plow
2010 Haul-It tandem 6.5x14 aluminum trailer
2012 7X16 Enclosed Trailer
7X10 Dump Trailer
18 HP Billy Goat Leaf Loader
2012 SCAG Cheetah 61" 32 HP Vanguard
Accelerator grass catcher with leaf entender
Kawasaki 24" KHT600 hedge trimmers
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer with edger
Two Stihl FS 100 RX Trimmers
Stihl BG 55 blower
Two Stihl BR 600 Magnum backpack blowers
Stihl MS 180C Chainsaw
8 HP Giant Vac blower

21 Years Old
Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I will be very curious to see what you decide and how it works out for you, because I have a similar dilema.

I currently have a 5x14 open trailer that just barely fits in my garage(2 car garage but with 2 single doors). The 5x14 has served me well so far as I use (2) 36 inch hydros and (2) 21 inch WBs as my bread and butter so far has been HOA contracts with lots of houses with lttle yards.

I'm adding some larger accounts now and I need to add a larger mower or 2, but of course anything wider than 48 won't fit on my trailer. I'm bummed about this b/c being able to keep my trailer in my garage is very convenient and makes it much easier to sleep at night.

So now I'm looking at either a 7x16 open and renting some garage space at a local storage place for around 140 a month, or an enclosed that I can park at the same local storage space for around 40 a month. I thought about the box truck too, but I don't want to take on the extra cost of having another vehicle unless I really have too.

I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the enclosed. I think it looks more professional, and I'm not so worried about fuel economy as almost all of my accounts are within a 3 mile radius. I also like the idea of having everything inside the trailer so I can keep things like dry fert and hand tools in there as you mentioned. I hadn't thought about the bathroom thing, but that makes a lot of sense too lol.

OTOH, the open trailer is more versatile for hauling things like pallets of sod, and I think it will be easier to keep clean and just quicker for the guys to get stuff on and off of.

Let us know what you decide please and thanks for starting this thread.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierT&L View Post
I will be very curious to see what you decide and how it works out for you, because I have a similar dilema.

I currently have a 5x14 open trailer that just barely fits in my garage(2 car garage but with 2 single doors). The 5x14 has served me well so far as I use (2) 36 inch hydros and (2) 21 inch WBs as my bread and butter so far has been HOA contracts with lots of houses with lttle yards.

I'm adding some larger accounts now and I need to add a larger mower or 2, but of course anything wider than 48 won't fit on my trailer. I'm bummed about this b/c being able to keep my trailer in my garage is very convenient and makes it much easier to sleep at night.

So now I'm looking at either a 7x16 open and renting some garage space at a local storage place for around 140 a month, or an enclosed that I can park at the same local storage space for around 40 a month. I thought about the box truck too, but I don't want to take on the extra cost of having another vehicle unless I really have too.

I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the enclosed. I think it looks more professional, and I'm not so worried about fuel economy as almost all of my accounts are within a 3 mile radius. I also like the idea of having everything inside the trailer so I can keep things like dry fert and hand tools in there as you mentioned. I hadn't thought about the bathroom thing, but that makes a lot of sense too lol.

OTOH, the open trailer is more versatile for hauling things like pallets of sod, and I think it will be easier to keep clean and just quicker for the guys to get stuff on and off of.

Let us know what you decide please and thanks for starting this thread.
I have a 5 x 10 open and 7 x 16 open and my 54 inch Kubota will fit on the 5 x 10 with the flap up with about 3 inches to spare. Just thought I would let you know. And I must have a weird garage because my 7 x 16 is sitting in there right now with the door closed.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
PS- has anyone switched from open, to an enclosed and found themselves saying "why didn't I do this sooner!"- "what was I thinking all these years!??"
Yelp, I have, had open for 22 years, just decided last March to go to enclosed to keep the equipment safe. It does keep the equipment dry which should help. It is true I upgrade equipment evey couple of years so not sure if it will help that much. I have 2 crews and plan on changing the other to enclosed this next year. As stated before, I have kept the open to help haul.