Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
couldn't a thief walk in and take stuff anyways (never seen anyone close their door while working)
I close and lock the doors when both men are in the back yard.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

We use both open and enclosed trailers. The both have pros and cons. Some of the ones that I've noticed:
Open
Pro
Carry Bulk Mulch and pallets
Lighter and easier to maneuver
Cheaper

Cons
Stuff Gets Wet / Open to the elements
Have to strap everything down

Enclosed
pros
Great Billboard
more private
easier to carry leaves and debris (my opinion, for we use large tarps on the floor of the trailer and pull them then were ready to unload if we don't have the dump truck)
Better for transporting plants
leave trailer on job to work out of
cons
app twice the price
bulky (gas mileage and can't see as much of your surroundings)

For us, we try to use a combination of both types depending on what were doing. I started with a open trailer because of the price and then added the enclosed when I was ready for a second crew.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
I have a 5 x 10 open and 7 x 16 open and my 54 inch Kubota will fit on the 5 x 10 with the flap up with about 3 inches to spare. Just thought I would let you know. And I must have a weird garage because my 7 x 16 is sitting in there right now with the door closed.
Thanks for your post. Yes I know i can get a 52 on my trailer, but I'm really wanting to go with a 60 ZTR. My garage has 2 single doors instead of 1 big door. Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

If you have the cash and space go for an enclosed trailer. I have both I don't even use the open trailer, because I have a dump truck. Try buying a good use one. I can see the box truck will be great for guys that just mow grass, and don't bag. But I use my dump for almost everything grass clippings, ,mulch, top soil, tree trimming/cutting, scrap metal, snow plowing. So here is my answer, I think it all depends in your situation and where your business is now and where you want it to go.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia lawn works llc View Post
wow. What a dumbass.

First of all most of them are assisted lift. Second how much do you think a 8x10 foot wooden fold down door weighs on an enclosed trailer?

Third of all that's not even mine.

Ya know if your company ever expands any i can see your stupid ass buying 4 pickup trucks and 4 encloseed trailers to run your crews out of.

Do what you want fool. But don't ask for peoples help then shoot their ideas down. And as far as the debris hauling goes buy your ass a ford diesel with a dump bed on the back you cheap ass.
posted via mobile device
a box truck to go mow grass with, thats ridiculous, my enclosed trailer door weighs next to nothing, i would definately run more pickups with open or enclosed trailers before i bought that, what a hassle that thing would be, not to mention it looks like crap, but at the same time, you use what works for you, ill use what works for me...
Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierT&L View Post
Thanks for your post. Yes I know i can get a 52 on my trailer, but I'm really wanting to go with a 60 ZTR. My garage has 2 single doors instead of 1 big door. Thanks again.
I have a 1 car garage.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If storage of your equipment is an issue or is becoming to costly, then an enclosed trailer is a good solution. Just speaking of my own situation, I do not think the costs associated with an enclosed trailer is worth it. I have plenty of storage space at my house. I live in a very safe area, but I feel more comfortable with my stuff inside my garage locked up, than to have an enclosed trailer sitting in my driveway. I use my truck for personal use at times, and don't like the the idea of a trailer full of equipment constantly parked, without my truck attached to it. My garage has no windows and a deadbolt lock on the man door, making it nearly impossible for a thief to get in. The two things that I do like about an enclosed is you eliminate loading and loading of equipment and the fact you could create sort of a workshop on wheels for fixes in the field.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
If storage of your equipment is an issue or is becoming to costly, then an enclosed trailer is a good solution. Just speaking of my own situation, I do not think the costs associated with an enclosed trailer is worth it. I have plenty of storage space at my house. I live in a very safe area, but I feel more comfortable with my stuff inside my garage locked up, than to have an enclosed trailer sitting in my driveway. I use my truck for personal use at times, and don't like the the idea of a trailer full of equipment constantly parked, without my truck attached to it. My garage has no windows and a deadbolt lock on the man door, making it nearly impossible for a thief to get in. The two things that I do like about an enclosed is you eliminate loading and loading of equipment and the fact you could create sort of a workshop on wheels for fixes in the field.
when I was looking for a house the most important thing was garage and I found an oversized 2 car gar (single door-2 car and an extra 8' off to the right) although I gotta clean it lol

also not being on a main busy street (for pulling/ backing in and out of drive)
they make industrial wheel chock/locks so I think i'd be safe in driveway, also I never have tools I need, so it would be nice to have a place to keep all kinds of tools.
fuel is killing me though as I added up reciepts and have over $7K in fuel for my trucks this year.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

also, my body requires a MASSIVE kickstart of coffee, so having a place to poop would be rocking, as no matter what, my first need occurs as I'm pulling into my first account!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 12-15-2010, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

v nose

anyone use v-nose enclosed trailers?