Register free!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

athletic fields

I have a total of 13 athletic fields and hoping to be up to 25 by spring. I would like to hear from some of yall that also do athletic fields on what you have been using and what are you charging a field. I was using Harness and nitroform and the fields look great. Going to try something different next yr.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do a number baseball fields up here. I do these free in trade of advertisement. i get a 4x8 sign on each back field fence and advertising in each weeks program.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many sq ft is a baseball field?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by superintendent View Post
I have a total of 13 athletic fields and hoping to be up to 25 by spring. I would like to hear from some of yall that also do athletic fields on what you have been using and what are you charging a field. I was using Harness and nitroform and the fields look great. Going to try something different next yr.
If the fields look great why would you change? I have just started taking care of a baseball field. What is Harness and Nitroform some type of fert? What is the grass of the fields up there?

Training them early
Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

little league fields around 3/4 acrea each give or take. A couple of the fields are skin fields so theres less turf on those ones but hen there are the areas around the fields themselves to and pitching/batting cages aswell.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

supt.

I am very sold on Nitroform. I think that is a great product, however I dont feel the same about the harness. If you are looking to lower your cost of goods, My favorite product by far and above is milorganite and iron sulfate is a cheap as it gets and I think you will get as good or better results. The iron sulfate will keep your turf darker and really aid tremendously with spring greenup. How often are you fertilizing?
Bshaffer@thrivelawns.com
www.thrivelawns.com
Old 12-21-2010, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShaffer View Post
supt.

I am very sold on Nitroform. I think that is a great product, however I dont feel the same about the harness. If you are looking to lower your cost of goods, My favorite product by far and above is milorganite and iron sulfate is a cheap as it gets and I think you will get as good or better results. The iron sulfate will keep your turf darker and really aid tremendously with spring greenup. How often are you fertilizing?
First, I am only working on one field and its my second year in buisness. I have used Milorganite and think you only get about 4-6 thousand out of one bag at 14$ a bag. The first post was cost how much are you spending / charging for a balfield?

How long does Nitroform last?

Training them early
Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Falcon,

Nitroform is a once and done annual nitrogen only application. It is best applied in April of May depending on where you are at. It is released through microbial degradation (sp), which is temperature dependent. total release is uncertain, but about a year. it is approximately $50 a bag and application rate is about 8lbs per K. expensive but you only do it once. so again thats why milorganite is the best buy. you get Nitrogen, a little P, and some fe, and three times a year is more than enough. Cost you should be charge? it depends on your expenses.
Bshaffer@thrivelawns.com
www.thrivelawns.com
Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShaffer View Post
Falcon,

Nitroform is a once and done annual nitrogen only application. It is best applied in April of May depending on where you are at. It is released through microbial degradation (sp), which is temperature dependent. total release is uncertain, but about a year. it is approximately $50 a bag and application rate is about 8lbs per K. expensive but you only do it once. so again thats why milorganite is the best buy. you get Nitrogen, a little P, and some fe, and three times a year is more than enough. Cost you should be charge? it depends on your expenses.
Thanks for the info, I am not asking about the cost, I should charge, but the cost per bag of Milorganite. Do you get a pallet because what is hurting me is not being able to purchase at pallet prices.

Training them early
Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon50EX View Post
Thanks for the info, I am not asking about the cost, I should charge, but the cost per bag of Milorganite. Do you get a pallet because what is hurting me is not being able to purchase at pallet prices.
$14 a bag? That doesn't even sound like retail prices. Wal-Mart sells it for $11.99 a bag here. I buy Hou-Actinite (Houston's version of Milorganite) for $7.60 a bag by the pallet, and I'm a small time user.

Make some phone calls!