Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Any suggestions on Design Software

I would appreciate any input from users,

I got 10 years out of my Dynascape/Garden Graphics software with only one upgrade in 2003!! Now it cant run on windows anymore I think I spent about a total of 1500.00 on it total. Problem is they are over 2500.00 now, I know you get what you pay for, but with technology now, I am wondering if there are cheaper options out there.

Thank you for any input

Paradise Landscaping Inc.
'04 F150
5x10 Open Trailer w/ Jungle Jim Racks
36" Toro Grand Stand 2010
22" Toro PP Push Mower 2010
2 Echo Split Boom String Trimmers
Edger Adapter, Adjustable Hedge Trimmer Adapter
Stihl 24" Hedge Trimmer
Billy Goat 8" Debris/Leaf Loader
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had great success with pro landscape by Drafix. It performs everything in CAD an installer needs for selling or bidding, plus has an outstanding 3D imaging feature which is a fabulous presentation tool. Pro Landscape also uses a plant database developed by Horticopia to aid in plant selection. If you like to present your work to the client via laptop, Pro Landscape includes a 3D flyover feature that allows you to see the proposed design from every angle and can "walk" you through the landscape layout.

Pro Landscape is not cheap, but at $1300 it is a professional tool for a reasonable price. The program is updated yearly with image and information additions as well as new functional features for CAD and imaging. The support system at Drafix is way beyond that of most any software companies, whether design software or other. They sponsor a forum for their clientèle that is monitored by one of the software engineers and frequented by users from all over the country and some scattered around the world.

Kirk
Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I definitively agree with Kirk.

I wouldn't skimp on price on a program as the cheaper you go, the worse the results would be.

You even stated that with your Dynascapes that it worked great for you, so you can at least appreciate the value of what a higher end design program can do for you.

for 1500 over 10 ten years, that's $150.00 year. In one year, if you do let's say $40,000 in landscapes a year, then you've made out extremely well if you ask me.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish ProLandscape came in Mac format.... I'd almost buy another cheap pc just to run it if I have no other option.

Guess I should decide if I really need the software in the first place.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pro landscape image editor

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I definitively agree with Kirk.

I wouldn't skimp on price on a program as the cheaper you go, the worse the results would be.

You even stated that with your Dynascapes that it worked great for you, so you can at least appreciate the value of what a higher end design program can do for you.

for 1500 over 10 ten years, that's $150.00 year. In one year, if you do let's say $40,000 in landscapes a year, then you've made out extremely well if you ask me.
How hard was the Master Gardener course? Did it take a long time? I'm graduating with my Associates this year and still have education money set aside to learn more... I know it might be different here, but I may move to IL sometime in the next 10 years to operate a farm...

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 03-11-2011, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslawncare View Post
How hard was the Master Gardener course? Did it take a long time? I'm graduating with my Associates this year and still have education money set aside to learn more... I know it might be different here, but I may move to IL sometime in the next 10 years to operate a farm...
The course was fairly easy in the regards that as long as you payed attention in class, you had no problems taking the test at the end of each section. Attendance is big too, so you need to make sure to go to each, once a week day long sessions.

The info was great and I felt like I learned more useful knowledge out of that course than I would have in 2 more years of college.

If I ever have a bit more free time, I would like to get back into the MG program and keep my MG status.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.