Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are their issues with Walkbehind boom Spraying?

Most boom sprayers seem to be mounted on the back or towed. However some, such as the Gregson-Clark Spreader-Mate and some ground powered units are walk-behind. TurfEx also has a front mounted ZTR sprayer.

Isn't there a problem walking or driving over fresh spray? Maybe worse if there is a marker dye in the spray?

If it is possible, I'm thinking the FIMCO ATV Deluxe sprayer with 3.8gpm pump, 25 gallon tank, and 10' boom with 7 TeeJet nozzles, and a hand boom with 15' hose could be adapted to the front of walkbehind floating deck mower.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Apparently the Fimco is $450 including shipping.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the Gregson-Clark Spreader-Mate and it works great.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you have to wear rubber boots anyhow, your feet are going to get it on them no matter how hard you try not too if that is what you are worried about, but it is not harmful to the app to drive or walk through while doing it.

i would not try to modify that to a walk behind, you will end up with bad traction.

i know you are new and trying to figure out what machine is going to be the best for budget and productivity and ease.

tell us more about your mix of potential lawns to spray, and maybe we can help more.

if they are small, then push ones woudl be ok, but you will get tired, i would way rather use a hose and tank truck than push all day i can tell you that, unless your lawns are very small etc.,

i have seen the atv mounted version of the one you have pics of, and it is great for large areas, but not very easy to use on anything of medium size and smaller.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why would it have a traction issue more so than any of the other walkbehinds? with over 400# on the drive wheels and moving at 3mph, I would imagine traction wouldn't be an issue.

The boom folds, with the center section, containing 3 nozzles, should spray the width of the mower while fitting into the same space. The 15' hose could be used in tighter spaces. The unit should easily fit on a platform above the front floating deck frame.

The unit would be used to spray pre-emergent, post-emergent, pesticides, fungicides, and possibly some nutrient amendments. It would also transport the system to various plantings for applicaton with the hand sprayer, where it had sufficent range. My guess is a hose extension may be added for that.

I'm thinking it may be possible to make a U-shaped bracket that held the boom behind the operator; there isn't much weight involved.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would think the rear wheels would get less traction with the weight of water up front. which also could be too much for the hydros etc depending on the mower.

also, although convenient and cheap, take account that the fert and everything WILL absolutely prematurely wear out many components on the mower , unless of course somehow you rig the bracket behind you with it which seems cumbersome at best
Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The mower is a Exmark Turf Tracer 60 with a Kohler 23hp engine. Most power in a mower goes to the blades, when spraying, especially with a spray width more than double the mower width, it would only be spraying.

The shipping weight of the unit is 102lb, although it says the item weight is 40lb. 25 gallons weights 200#. The mower deck weighs 400lb. The frame is not only made to support the mower deck, but to deal with the load of it banging into things. Worst case, the mower deck could be detached (pretty easy to do, 4 pins, one belt, tip the mower back and slide the deck forward on the anti-scalp rollers). Either way, weight shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

DavidNJ , i've been thinking of doing the same thing. i want a sulky on mine too have you come up with anything yet? i'd love to see some pics if you have. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well...I've got the mower and I have the FIMCO ATV sprayer...but I haven't put the two together yet.

So far, I put the sprayer on a hand pulled cart. First battery powered; then, when that turned out to not last long enough, I added a 800w generator to the cart. The sprayer works very well, as you would expect with 7 non-drip TeeJet nozzles. I did some Roundup, and the kill line looked like it was done by a surveyor.

I'll try the combo in a week or so for a herbicide treatment. Pictures then.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool, sounds like that would be a heavy cart! IMO the traction, if anything, would get better with more weight, as long as its not out in front of the front wheels. With a full 25 gal tank your adding about 200lb + the equipment right? should be ok, i have JD walk behinds and they are built like tanks. Is your walk behind electric start? or will you need to add a battery or something to it? My JD GS75 has a battery already so i think i can hook it up to that.