Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bobcat Radiator Question

I have an s330 that appears to have sprung a small leak in the radiator. I haven't found the hole yet but I am suspecting either the radiator or an o ring.
Does anyone know of a product that is SAFE that works like a stop leak that can buy me some time? I don't want a $600-800 repair if I can help it.
I am not losing much coolant but since I mulch, the part of the radiator that gets wet clogs up with the cedar shavings debris that gets pulled in.

Any good ideas? thanks in advance!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-06-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

The safest stuff is Bars Leak.

www.barsproducts.com/C16_R6.htm
Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some friends who are service techs and they don't like the Bars stuff, at least for vehicles.

Is it too much trouble to take the radiator out yourself and have a radiator shop plug it? I did that to one of my old dozer once and that took care of it. If I remember right it was only around $125. It was a shop that specialized in heavy truck radiators.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best thing to do is to have a pressure tester for coolant systems and pump it up real good and find where its leaking. I think you are looking at about $400 if you need a new radiator. Had a new one put in my T300.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
Best thing to do is to have a pressure tester for coolant systems and pump it up real good and find where its leaking. I think you are looking at about $400 if you need a new radiator. Had a new one put in my T300.
radiators are expensive and install is a pita in bobcats.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I would pressure test it to see where the leak is coming from because a rad seal won't seal all leaks.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How about a raw egg?

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
How about a raw egg?

I have seen that on McGyver.

I would pull it out and have a radiator shop test it and hopefully plug it, and hopefully preventing having to get a new one. I would rather fix it at home than in sage brush somewhere. You cant trust it this way and you don't want to cause any further problems.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Raw egg fix is a hoax, and I have never seen any product that can stop a leak within the tubes. However, a leak at a seam can usually be stopped with a silicate formulation. Years ago I got a leak on my 843 from a branch that forced its way through the back door. The fix involved soldering three damaged tubes and stuffing serpentine fins inside. I am not sure if the S330 has a copper or aluminum radiator. When my 763 needed a radiator I made one up from tubes and fins, reusing the core ends. Bobcat charges outrageous prices for replacements.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have had to replace a few radiators in that past. Bobcat's piss poor design through the K series necessitates a juggling act to get lift the radiators for cleaning (I miss CAT's radiator). the technicians have banged up my radiators, too, and caused the same leaks I did. I have found a few ways to safely lift them but I think I must have caused some damage. I have not had one leak without something poking in and I've owned about 12 or 13 machines since the mid 90's. If I have time today, I want to take it apart and find the leak but a I couldn't the other day. I has to be very minor because I'm not losing much coolant and it just leaves a wet spot on the filter I use to keep debris out. In the past, a worse leak blew coolant out the sides with the air flow.

KSSS is right but I am trying to buy a little time.

Another question, does anyone pressure wash their radiators? Is that asking for trouble? I have always used only air and a vacuum. (I want a new setup soon as maintenance has become tiresome when I mulch).

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing