Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2002, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting rid of tall fescue?

I live in what we'll say is Lansing, Michigan.

We recently purchased our house and the lawn was less than desirable (thats what I get for buying in Feb.)

Apparently the previous owner did nothing but have the lawn cut once a month, and did no treatments (according to neighbors).

I have contracted a company for the usual fertilizer/weed killer applications, and have gotten rid of the weeds for the most part.

What I have now (according to tha All-Green guy) is mostly fine fescue, with large "clumps" of tall fescue in the back.

The tall grows faster/taller than the fine (duh), and I don't really like the clumpiness in appearance. Is there something I can do other than spot-treatment of round-up?

There are no trees in the yard (approx. 1/2 acre) and when I do plant, will not be providing substantial shade so that is not a factor. I mow with a 22" Toro, usually muching at approx. 3".

I am just looking for the best or cheapest (monitarily not self-labor) method for getting a nice smooth lawn. Thank you

Jon

I can get pictures if necessary. I water weekly with a nelson water-train.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have two options with Tall Fescue removal.

1) Use a non-selective herbicide like glyphosate (RoundUp).

2) Use a selective herbicide such as chlorsulfuron (Tall Fescue Control or TFC).

TFC is nasty stuff. Get the concentration wrong and you will nuke the Tall Fescue sites forever. Nothing will grow for a year or longer. I would not recommend this route for a homeowner. Better to treat with roundup in fall and over seed a week after application.

jim
Old 08-31-2002, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I get the idea that you will hire any work done. In that case the chlorsulfuron would be by far the cheaper route. You just need a knowledgeable applicator who can time applications properly.

The product is available in the green industry as Corsair, from Riverdale Chemicals. It will not wipe out your tall fescue immediately; might take a couple of applications each year over 2-3 years - nothing is really 100% dealing with nature.

And Jim was correct that those are the only two choices at present.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have contracted a company for the usual fertilizer/weed killer applications, and have gotten rid of the weeds for the most part.
What I have now (according to tha All-Green guy) is mostly fine fescue, with large "clumps" of tall fescue in the back.

GroundKprs says: You just need a knowledgeable applicator who can time applications properly.

Hmmm............. As they say, Rotsa ruck!
I have a sure way to eliminate it, without losing the any good grass that is there, and relatively cheaply, too. Actually right at this time of year, it's coming prime time to address this again. (now and spring). The only thing is, is that now you have contracted a co. like this, I am afraid I can't share this information with you.

Well, o.k., but you have to promise not to share it with the AllBrown guy. Here's what you do. There is a product called the wicket. What this is, is a wand with a tubular sponge that is angled at the bottom of it (sort of hockeystick shaped) This can hold Roundup. Mow the patches and the grass around it nice and low, and in a day or two, the tall fescue grows much faster and taller than the desirable cultivars of grass in your yard. At this time, you go out and skim the high fescue (without hitting any good grass around it or within it) and before you know it, your tall stuff is dying, and the good stuff can come up! This take a few apps. to be completely thorough, but it's well worth it, and it works! We do CIRCLES around other fert. companies around here when it comes to that kind of stuff. Good luck with it!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I was planning on doing the work myself.

Now, say I spray with round-up.

When I overseed, do I need to de-thatch the lawn first, and mow short?

I am currently mowing around 3" I can go and spraw the round-up ( a couple times over the next1-2 weeks) and then overseed.

I saw some scotts Fall seed, is this just hype? Would it be better to do this type of thing in the fall or spring?

And also, how long do I have to wait to mow after overseeding? This lawn thing is tough. I should move back to my apartment
Old 09-04-2002, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Runner
Well, o.k., but you have to promise not to share it with the AllBrown guy. Here's what you do. There is a product called the wicket. What this is, is a wand with a tubular sponge that is angled at the bottom of it (sort of hockeystick shaped) This can hold Roundup. Mow the patches and the grass around it nice and low, and in a day or two, the tall fescue grows much faster and taller than the desirable cultivars of grass in your yard. At this time, you go out and skim the high fescue (without hitting any good grass around it or within it) and before you know it, your tall stuff is dying, and the good stuff can come up! This take a few apps. to be completely thorough, but it's well worth it, and it works! We do CIRCLES around other fert. companies around here when it comes to that kind of stuff. Good luck with it!
This sounds great! I searched Yahoo! for lawn wicket and weed wicket, and I get tons of crouqet sites!. Do you know of any links, or is this something I can get locally? Thank you for your help.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:57 PM

Runner......Your a genious !

I had seen those wicks at Lanscapers Supply and wondered what application they would be ideal for. You got it.

jeffyr
Old 09-08-2002, 06:54 PM
Millenium Member

I'll disagree a little...

You have another choice.

Overseed again with fine fescue. You said "What I have now (according to tha All-Green guy) is mostly fine fescue", that tells me that fine fescue will do good in your site.

Contact Lesco and order their "compact blend", it consist of Biltmore, Laramie, and Bravo compact fescue blends. The item number is 031997, I'm seeding my entire lawn with it this year and have ordered several pallettes for current customers.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I called Lesco, and they don't carry a wick applicator.

KirbysLawn: So by planting additional fine/bluegrass mixture this will overrun they tall? Does tall fescue spread as well? What I was thinking about doing was the following, opinions would be appreciated.

Fall 2002 - Try to control/kill existing tall fescure
Spring 2003 - Roll lawn (super rough now)
Fall 2003 - Aerate and/or dethatch and overseed.

I know rolling really isn't productive, but when I mow the mower bounces all over like mad.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:11 PM
Millenium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jonw9
IWhat I was thinking about doing was the following, opinions would be appreciated.

Fall 2002 - Try to control/kill existing tall fescure
Spring 2003 - Roll lawn (super rough now)
Fall 2003 - Aerate and/or dethatch and overseed.
Overseed in the spring with what? Spring is the absolute worse time to overseed around here.