Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2010, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

7.3 l Diesel oil Filters

So I have a 93 Ford F 250 Diesel 7.3l.

I have a problem with oil filters "staying in the block". Everyone i put on the truck ends up leaking. I honesly do not know whats going on. The filters are tight when i put them on.

When i change the filter i put oil on the seal and fill the filter up about half way with oil. Then i put it on and snug ut up and then follow the instructions for how far it needs to be turned once the seal is snugged up.

I have tried Fram filters and Napa Gold filters to see if with one or the other it would not leak. But it does.

Also i know this can happen if the seal doesnt come off the block wich in this case the seal always comes off with the filter. And the filter is not thread is not STRIPPED at all filters screw on very easly and spin right up to the block

Could my seal surface be messed up?
If the surface is messed up how should i go about fixing it?

I think this is a very odd problem but i do not know if it was common on this engine.
6x12 Road King open trailer
Exmark Metro 48
Toro Proline 36 Belt Drive
Lawn Boy 21" commercial 2 stroke
Toro commercial 21"
Redmax EBZ 80001 BP
Redmax EBZ 8500 BP
Redmax CHT 2300 Hedge Trimmer
Redmax BCZ 2610 trimmer
Stihl BG 55
8 HP Push Blower

Solo Operation

My equipment and truck pics:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=283877
Old 12-18-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

You can run the power stroke filter on a IDI if you want too they are a longer spin on adds about half a litre of oil.

Now you say you fill your oil filters you really don't need to do that just put them on dry your not going to get that much wear starting the engine with a empty oil filter. You may be seeing some oil run down the side of the filter that is from it slopping out on top when your spinning it on.

I would not use Fram or Wix (Napa) filters use the original Motorcraft,Fleet Guard,Donaldson or Luberfiner.

To see if the space where the filter seats run your finger around the surface if you scrape your finger over something sharp it will cause a leak.

If you buy a cheap filter it won't seal property, Fram and Wix filters are cheap filters, Wix never used to be but they are that way now.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

it may be that the threaded nipple is slowly backing out, ive seen that a few times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's Landscape View Post
So I have a 93 Ford F 250 Diesel 7.3l.

I have a problem with oil filters "staying in the block". Everyone i put on the truck ends up leaking. I honesly do not know whats going on. The filters are tight when i put them on.

When i change the filter i put oil on the seal and fill the filter up about half way with oil. Then i put it on and snug ut up and then follow the instructions for how far it needs to be turned once the seal is snugged up.

I have tried Fram filters and Napa Gold filters to see if with one or the other it would not leak. But it does.

Also i know this can happen if the seal doesnt come off the block wich in this case the seal always comes off with the filter. And the filter is not thread is not STRIPPED at all filters screw on very easly and spin right up to the block

Could my seal surface be messed up?
If the surface is messed up how should i go about fixing it?

I think this is a very odd problem but i do not know if it was common on this engine.
Posted via Mobile Device