Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2002, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Where do you buy Mulch?

I'm just wondering where everyone buys mulch. We use a little pine straw, but the majority of work is cypress mulch.

Currently, we are bouncing all over the place buying a little here and a little there. We're paying about $1.87 for a 2 cubic foot bag.

This is something we've overlooked and now we are ready to do it right.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know about Florida, but up here in Northern MA we use mostly cedar or hemlock mulch. I buy it by the yard, usually picking it up at the place they make the mulch myself. We pay around $25/yd for cedar and $29/yd for hemlock... There are recycled economy mulches available for around $15/yd if people don't care what it look like and only care that it's doing it's job. If I buy more than 5 yards they will deliver it for free... works out pretty good for me... If I had to buy my mulch by the bag I would go broke, and would never be able to sell any jobs at the price I would need to charge to make any money...
Old 08-27-2002, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i too buy it by the yard up here. I have the choice of cedar, red cedar, pine or spruce. i like the spruce because it holds the color the longest. For spruce, i buy it at $26 a yard wholesale($32/yd for everyone else). Its a good deal, because i make the money on what i charge to put it down, and make another $7 a yard for buying from the guy.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

27 cubic feet in a yard, that is 13.5 bags @ $1.87, works out to $25.25 per yard. Really not much more expensive. We mostly buy mulch by the yard, but sometimes I will buy bags if we need small amounts or there is no access with wheelbarrows. Mike
Old 08-27-2002, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Addict

I get mine from a nursery. Pine or hardwood by the yard-$14-16. Cypress has to be by the bag (3cu.ft=9 bags is 1 yd.) or pallet. It can be delivered.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont know about Florida, but in New Jersey we get all types of mulch like dyed black, red cedar, triple shreded hardwood, playground mulch (cedar & fiber). We have such a demand for it that the supply yards carry everykind. It usually runs around anywhere from $8.00 a yard to $28.00 a yard. The going rate to install it is $60.-$70. a yard.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I buy it from what ever place has the best price, normally around $21 yard for cedar $24 nviro red, brown, black, gold. Mulch is big in Michigan and I'll take every mulch job I can get. I get from $80 to $100 per yard to deliver & install, I've sold 17 yards just this week.

I love the smell of mulch it smells like money.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We buy it 100 cubic yards at a time .... shredded cedar from British Columbia. Around 12 per delivered.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drobson,
I'm another member from MA.
Here we have red cedar, pine and hemlock. Hemlock is the most popular and pine is the cheapest. It varies from $24-35 a yard depending where you go. At the large agway's I was getting two yards of hemlock for $51 and change tax included. I bought 6 yards in a few hours and they said hey you a scaper, "yup" well you get a discount. Worked out nice since it was 5 min from job location. That was my largest installation job at $500+.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

We are lucky we are able to by mulch by the tractor trailer load in bulk not baged. If you are able to buy a large quanity at a time I would look on the bags where you are getting it. Most of these companys have there name and addreses on the bags and sell wholesale to people in the business. While you may not be able to get as good a price as what they are giving the store your buying it from, you should be able to save 20 - 30 percent. Many stores in our area know this and will give a discount if you agree to buy quanities from them. In order to make this work you have to buy high quanities at a time.
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes