Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2010, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, NJ

Hey My names hunter and im from nj. Im trying to get started by march. Alittle Backround. Ive been mowing, edging, and such since i was like 8 years old. I started doing mulch around the neiberhood 3 years ago. Now i have like 3 cliants. ive been doing snow for about 5 years now. Im now collecting equipment, getting things ready. i plan to start a legit buisness not just some lawn boy service from the neiborhood. Im now 16 and 17 in march wich is when i plan to sTART. so this is the story ill add to it when i can. Thanks
NJ
cub cadet lawn mower 21 inch
Abunch of shovels, racks excetra.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseylandscaping View Post
Hey My names hunter and im from nj. Im trying to get started by march. Alittle Backround. Ive been mowing, edging, and such since i was like 8 years old. I started doing mulch around the neiberhood 3 years ago. Now i have like 3 cliants. ive been doing snow for about 5 years now. Im now collecting equipment, getting things ready. i plan to start a legit buisness not just some lawn boy service from the neiborhood. Im now 16 and 17 in march wich is when i plan to sTART. so this is the story ill add to it when i can. Thanks
NJ
Hunter, best of luck to you! I suggest you start out by working for someone who is established and has a good reputation. Get some training and get paid for it. If you find the right employer you will learn a lot.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^ thanks man, Ive worked for garden center for a wile and finally i had a falling out with the owner when i dropped a pot because he wlked into me. The other owner had the same opinion i did but it wasnt worth staying. ive done alot working with them, installs, learning how to make sure sod takes and alot more. Ive don landscaping for people in my neiberhood for a long time now and i always get compliments. i may try to work for someone this year but only to make money to collect equipment.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i've seen you posting alot and would definetly recomend working for someone first. Get in with a company that does alot of different work and really learn from the ground up. I understand you have been maintaining a few landscappes in your neighborhood but theres atlot more to learn than you can from just that. How moch do you know about pruning? what should you prune different specimen plants? How do you propperly prune these plants? I'm not trying to bust your balls so don't take me the wrong way, it's just that it's a lot better to hold off a few years and learn from someone exerienced than to learn the hard way when you acidently destroy a portion of a customers landscape. Unfortunetly with our business a simple mistake can be extreamly costly.

Also take that time to start getting professional or semi-professional equipment, I understand everyone needs to start somewhere but nuthing kills me more than to see a "landscaper" using homelight and craftsman tools. Spead the time saving first, professional equipment gives a professional apearance.

Another thing insurance, HAVE IT, but also make sure you get in writing that everything on your policy will cover an operator under 18 years old. Some policies will cover an emloyee under 18 but the policy owner must be over 18. They will often not pay attention to your DOB when you open your policy, but when an accident like a rock getting thrown thru a $10,000 stained glass door happens, they will notice your DOB then. Also many state and OSHA regs actually say you must be 18 to run certain pieces of equipment on a job site.

Like I said I'm not trying to bust your balls, I know alot of successful gus who started out riding the mower around the neighborhood and within a few years had multiple employees before they graduated H.S., but I've also seen many of these guys get screwed when there in-experience has caught uy with them
Old 12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is some good input. Lets analyze. Pruning, I have alot of pruning experienc because i worked at a garden center and it was part of the job, if i dont know certin plants i hae a harborest whome will help me any time and is willing to teach as well.
Equipment: I will not be using any equipment that is below echo professional. Ive used home owner brands untill thus and hate them. I have the cub cadets that were givin to me and will be backup however they all are professional.
Osha, Im looking into this, however ive run alot of equipment working at the garden center and also helping my uncle whos a builder occasionally.
Insurance: i will not start without insurance. Its a must. If they will not cover me as the owner my brother will become a co-owner but he will be scilent and have no say as he doesnt want any say in the CO.

I appreciate your post as it did give me one thing that im unsure of, As you can see ive thought about most every aspects of starting up. i have family that own buisness so i have a large support team that gives me hints and tips. Thanks,
NJ
Old 12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like you are covering your bases
Old 12-31-2010, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
sounds like you are covering your bases

Yea im trying my best to, im doing research, and such

Im only starting up compleatly legal and ligit. Im cureently looking at equipment and as soon as i have a majority of it ill get the tax id number, register the buisness, open a buisness account, and thee such. I also have contracts drafted and am going to talk to an attorny friend of mine to approve them. Thanks,
NJ
Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

goodluck hunter! this is a great site for questions and also meeting some local company owners! do your thing!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, i really like thism site and had some great insite on.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just remember sometimes people have good days, and bad days...you might find 50% of the people like your post or reply and the other 50% dn't..just keep your head up and dn't take the "bashing" personal, even though it maybe hard at times