Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2010, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Sidegate Trailer? Yes? No?

I am going to be in the market for a new trailer next year. I am thinking about getting one with a side gate. It sounds like a great idea, but as you all know things dont always turn out the same as it does in your head. I dont want to make that mistake. Does anyone here use them? Is it worth it? Or are they a pain in the butt?

2010 Toyota Tundra
2011 18' Rice Trailer W/Sidegate
2008 12' Doolittle Open Trailer
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4X4
2011 52" Wright Stander X
2010 36" Wright Stander RH
2008 52" Toro Timecutter
3 Stihl FS110R Trimmers
Stihl FS100 Trimmer
Stihl HL 100Z Hedge Trimmer
Sthil MS290 Chainsaw
Sthil FC95 Stick Edger
Sthil BG55 Handheld Blower
2 Redmax EBZ7150 Blowers
2 Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmers
Ryan Lawnaire 5 Aerator
Bluebird PR22 Power Rake
Oregon Blade Grinder
Old 12-18-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have one that I'm selling. It would be great for me if my WB was smaller (full size turf tracer) it is to long to load sideways on trailer and a hassel to trun around on the front. I have loaded smallerf mowers on it easily and is really great when doing mulch jobs. I'll drop my gate onto the lawn and then wheel my mulch straight to the bed and not have to go to the driveway or jump the curb. I can't really think of any downfall of them especially if running 2 mowers. Check out the pics of the one I've got. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=336098
Old 12-18-2010, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

The only reason I can think of for a side gate is for pulling a small 21 inch mower out or, for what I was thinking of, is using it for a dump area for clippings with a walker. That way I could pull up, not have to unhook the trailer from the truck, and rig something up to pull the clippings off from the side (like a tarp or something)
Other than that I'd like to hear how others are using them.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8rickyj View Post
I am going to be in the market for a new trailer next year. I am thinking about getting one with a side gate. It sounds like a great idea, but as you all know things dont always turn out the same as it does in your head. I dont want to make that mistake. Does anyone here use them? Is it worth it? Or are they a pain in the butt?
I've got a 5 x 12 and I almost paid the extra $150-$175 for the side gate, but decided not to at the last second. I think they could be beneficial for unloading the smaller walk behinds and kind of regret not doing it.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I spent a year using my open trailer with no side ramp. Because it was an older trailer, I didn't feel too bad about cutting into it and building my own. I REALLY loved having the option of side-loading. Z in the back, and for the properties that were too small for the Z, I'd lower the side ramp, and unload the 36 Wright or trim mower. Didn't have to empty the trailer to get to it.

I now use an enclosed, so it's back to shuffling mowers, but worth it, IMO. Anyhoo- I digress. For an open trailer, I think the side gate is a definite plus!

And another thing. Because I didn't use my z for leaf cleanups at the time, the entire back of the trailer would be for debris, and I could use the front for equipment. Then... unload the leaves off the end of the trailer without having to jockey machines.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I had my new trailer built this past fall, I had a side gate put on there. Since my trailer was custom, I went with a 54" side gate as opposed to the 48" gate typically used, this way I could fit a 48" mower on it.

My plan is to be able to have my ztr at the back of the trailer and have the new 48" mower on the front. This way I can take off the 48" mower without having to unload the ztr from the trailer. I also use the side gate to help unload leaves and grass at the end of the day. Its much easier to just drop the side gate and unload the clippings rather than having to unload the mower first and then unload the clippings.

I'm very glad I have the side gate. But I designed my trailer myself and knew exactly what I wanted. I knew I would have a smaller mower to use on it and it would be great for helping to unload leaves and grass...especially when I have a full trailer of clippings.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we have two trailers with them, and they are awesome for getting equipment off so you dont have to unload the whole trailer. our 22 ft trailer has a 6ft side double gate so we can load our 60in mowers up it also.

it is always worth it, get it
Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's the cost difference between the sidegate and a regular one?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For me, I HAD to have a side ramp. When I shopped for a new trailer this past spring. I found a great deal on a 6.5x14ft trailer brand new. It didn't have a side ramp though. I said the heII with it and bought it with the intentions of building a ramp. I did some shopping for raw metal and got a good deal on the angle iron and a sheet of expanded metal so I had at it and came up with this.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

that is a very nice trailer, but i would have never bought a single axle, it really limits your load capabilities.