Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2010, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Trimmer/edger combo or stand alone?

I'm just starting out and I'm looking for a commercial trimmer and edger. Can you share you oppinions on trimmer/edger combos or stand alone units. My son and I are just starting out and we only have a few mid sized residential accounts. Mostly grass no heavy weeds but a couple have chain link fences. We plan on getting a few commercial properties and I need something that's tuff but affordable. And what manufacturers do you preffer?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just my personal opinion but I'd prefer seperate units. Combos are good, but if used everyday, the moment you need it for something special, like ext. clippers or a pole saw, somethings wrong with it. Besides, for the money you spend on a combo unit, you can get both seperate. Then if one goes down, you've still got the other.
My preferances are Redmax & Echo.

Just my opinion, and we know how THOSE are.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You also would be able to work at the same time!!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the combo units like the Stihl Kombi. They are great if you use many different attachments. Plus if you plan on getting several attachments it is cheaper to get the combo units, but you have to have 3 attachments or more to make it cheaper than buying separate units.

I have both dedicated units and a Stihl Kombi unit. The Kombi is used as more of a back-up machine, specialty tool or just around my house.

I prefer Stihl handheld equipment, I've had great experiences with stihl for many years. But you should decide which brand by what is the best dealer in your area. Any major brand like Stihl, Redmax, Echo, etc. should be just fine.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 12-19-2010, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I prefer individual unit. Combo do not end up saving much money in a lot of cases. But in your case, if you just going to have these two attachments, then it is ok money wise since both attachments are on the cheap side. Just don't go wild in planning to buy a bunch of more expensive attachments like cultivator, hedge trimmer, dethatcher, broom type that has a gear reduction. Those can really add up fast, you are better off getting a small cultivator like Mantis or Yardboss.......Well the hedge trimmer is expensive either way!!!

Bottom line, if these two are what you want to get, it might not be a bad idea.

Bang for the buck, Kawasaki must be the best, check on ebay if you don't mind buying there. You can get two individual unit cheaper than you can get the combo of other commercial brands.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just don't understand how people can say that these multi-task tools like the Stihl Kombi don't save you much money. People buy these units so they have the ability to run several attachments and change them out fast. They also save a ton of money over buying the individual machines.

Here's the difference in price between buying a kombi and the individual machines...

KOMBI:
$329.95 -KM110R
$89.95 -Straight Trimmer
$179.95 –Straight edger
$229.95 –Articulating hedge trimmer
$199.95 –Pole Pruner

Total: $1029.75

INDIVIDUAL:
$349.95 –FS110R trimmer
$399.95 –FC95 edger
$549.95 –HL100K hedge trimmer
$469.95 –HT100 Pole pruner

Total : $1769.80
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
I just don't understand how people can say that these multi-task tools like the Stihl Kombi don't save you much money. People buy these units so they have the ability to run several attachments and change them out fast. They also save a ton of money over buying the individual machines.

Here's the difference in price between buying a kombi and the individual machines...

KOMBI:
$329.95 -KM110R
$89.95 -Straight Trimmer
$179.95 –Straight edger
$199.95 –Pole Pruner

INDIVIDUAL:
$349.95 –FS110R trimmer
$399.95 –FC95 edger

Exactly. We run lots of dedicated pieces of equipment. But what about when a residential mowing crew every once in a while needs a polesaw, hedger or edger while they are at a property. If they mostly use the trimmer to edge but one day they have a new yard to break in the edges they have an edger. If a customer calls and wants two bushes trimmed when they come mow, they have their hedge trimmer. They have a backup string trimmer with the combi unit. You do not use these items on a daily basis on a mowing route truck, but when you need them, you really need them. If I have to rush something to a truck all the way across town I would rather it not be a hedge trimmer for a couple of bushes.

My personal preference on a residential mowing route truck is:
(2) Backpack Blowers
(2) String trimmers
(1) Split boom, with edger,polesaw,hedger, trimmer head
(1) 60" Turf Tracer
(1) 36" Turf Tracer
(1) 26" Metro
Old 12-19-2010, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Top View Post
I'm just starting out and I'm looking for a commercial trimmer and edger.
Key word, "commercial". Don't waste your money on nothing less if you plan on it lasting a while

Can you share you oppinions on trimmer/edger combos or stand alone units.
My opinion, just starting out, stand alone units.

My son and I are just starting out and we only have a few mid sized residential accounts. Mostly grass no heavy weeds but a couple have chain link fences.
Key here is "my son and I". There's TWO of you. Able to do two jobs at the same time. Not waiting for one piece of equipment. Or two trimmers, get good enough you can edge with it.

We plan on getting a few commercial properties and I need something that's tuff but affordable.
If you're just starting out, I would recommend staying with residential for a while. Get to know the biz, find out the ups and downs, ("I'm just starting out"). Most commercial you're going to have to be able to float some things, probably for a while.

And what manufacturers do you preffer?
It really, like someone else said, depends on what dealers are in your area. If you're still around a couple of years down the road, you will inevitably try different brands. But you NEED that dealer support.

The key is efficiancy. How can I get it done, efficiantly, have a happy customer, and make a profit. Time is money and you can't make any if someone's standing around waiting for the trimmer because you're using the edger.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post

KOMBI:
$329.95 -KM110R
$89.95 -Straight Trimmer
$179.95 –Straight edger
$199.95 –Pole Pruner

INDIVIDUAL:
$349.95 –FS110R trimmer
$399.95 –FC95 edger

First the pole pruner of the combi is too short, it is no HT100, not even close. with the extension is only 3' longer. Individual pole pruner like Echo go up to 12 to 15' shaft length. I really looked into the pole pruner, there is no brand that has long attachment pole pruner. If you just need a 10' or less, the manual pole saw work just fine, I cut trunks up to about 4" really fast with just the pole saw. It is the high branches that is the kicker and the pole saw become very unstable to use. that's when you need the gas long saw. As I said, the hedge trimmer is the difficult one and combi might be the way to go.

Maybe if you just use it for the string, edge and hedge, that would be worth to get the combi. Also if you get all these attachments, you better get a second power head for second person to use or as a backup.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
First the pole pruner of the combi is too short, it is no HT100, not even close. with the extension is only 3' longer. Individual pole pruner like Echo go up to 12 to 15' shaft length. I really looked into the pole pruner, there is no brand that has long attachment pole pruner. If you just need a 10' or less, the manual pole saw work just fine, I cut trunks up to about 4" really fast with just the pole saw. It is the high branches that is the kicker and the pole saw become very unstable to use. that's when you need the gas long saw. As I said, the hedge trimmer is the difficult one and combi might be the way to go.

Maybe if you just use it for the string, edge and hedge, that would be worth to get the combi. Also if you get all these attachments, you better get a second power head for second person to use or as a backup.
Alan, Alan, Alan, Here you go again spouting off on something you know nothing about.
You say that the pole saw for the Kombi is too short, OK, let's bump up the HT100 that Brad listed to the HT131 and subtract the attachment. How many times during the season is a DEDICATED almost $700.00 pole saw going to be used? and who is going to want to carry it around if they can just change out an attachment?
Brad is 100% correct that the Kombi saves money, I've said countless times I don't know what I would do without my KM130 and attachments. Unless you run a business you have no idea of what kind of savings a Kombi could result in vs buying dedicated machines.